• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes to wear with jeans?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redmania
I'm glad I have found this thread. I was wondering what you guys thought of these

http://www.loake.co.uk/our_shoes/pro...ge=DESIGN&sub=

I'm looking to wear them with dark denim or charcoal grey trousers.

What do you think?

I really don't like the toe shape on those. The concept is good, but they are way too fashionable and delicate for my taste. Tricker's and Paul Smith have some wingtip chelseas that are a lot better. If you're not set on a chelsea (elastic sides) Tricker's has their classic brogue boots, which would be perfect with either jeans or nicer dress pants:

countrystow.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redmania
I'm glad I have found this thread. I was wondering what you guys thought of these

http://www.loake.co.uk/our_shoes/pro...ge=DESIGN&sub=

I'm looking to wear them with dark denim or charcoal grey trousers.

What do you think?

I don't think they're bad, I'm not sure that these can be dressed up too much though, but I would wear them with jeans etc.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I really don't like the toe shape on those. The concept is good, but they are way too fashionable and delicate for my taste. Tricker's and Paul Smith have some wingtip chelseas that are a lot better. If you're not set on a chelsea (elastic sides) Tricker's has their classic brogue boots, which would be perfect with either jeans or nicer dress pants:
Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the Loake to those Tricker's. I think the Tricker's remind me too much of 1990's grunge look, which I am really tired of.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the Loake to those Tricker's. I think the Tricker's remind me too much of 1990's grunge look, which I am really tired of.

Those Trickers look a bit too clunky to me.

atroopan

Reaction score
Mephisto Abels are my favorite pair currently for jean use.

product2499_media3156.jpg

troop

atroopan

Reaction score
The picture doesn't really do them justice - they look terrific and non-pretentious too with a pair of jeans. But they are not thin-soled by any means because they are designed for comfort. You can walk for a long period of time in Mephistos if you size correct. I wouldn't wear them with dressier clothing, but definitely with jeans and say a sweater or even the right t-shirt. Also you can usually find them on Ebay for much much cheaper than the retail of $400.

troop

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Originally Posted by j

I think something in between the Loakes and Tricker's would be ideal. Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed that there's no "official forum brand" for brogue chukkas - the way that my RMW chelseas can go from jeans to suits.
confused.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

countrystow.jpg

If I could figure out how to size those damn things, I'd try and eBay a pair.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
The picture doesn't really do them justice - they look terrific and non-pretentious too with a pair of jeans. But they are not thin-soled by any means because they are designed for comfort. You can walk for a long period of time in Mephistos if you size correct. I wouldn't wear them with dressier clothing, but definitely with jeans and say a sweater or even the right t-shirt. Also you can usually find them on Ebay for much much cheaper than the retail of $400.

troop

I suppose it's difficult to evaluate the silhouette w/o seeing them with jeans. I've always wanted to pick up a pair of Mephistos for traveling. I tore up my pair of Schuberts last time I flew and wore them
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads