• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shoes am I still missing in my little collection?

AdamBara

Reaction score
Hi gentlemen,

I am new on this forum and still trying to find my way!

I am a silent reader from the Netherlands (31 y) and for the past three years I have started to dress better. That means chinos, dress shoes and beautiful jackets. Recently I have expanded my shoe collection but I feel like it is not quite complete yet. What am I missing? Advice is appreciated!

thumbnail_20201031_202941.jpg

Top right to top left: Dark brown Carlos Santos, Dark brown/bordeaux Society Shop, Dark brown suede monks Society shop, Grey Magnanni loafers.

Bottom left side to bottom right side: Cognac Santoni, Brown/chili Suitsupply, Cognac Francesco Benigno, Cognac Magnanni loafers.

thumbnail_20201031_203252.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recommend thinking about how you dress or want to dress, and get shoes that fit into that kind of wardrobe. When someone starts to think about shoes in terms of a collection, the shoes often become standalone pieces that are unconnected to the rest of a wardrobe, and thus often don't make sense in outfits.

IMO, a bad way of building a shoe wardrobe is collecting things that are "classic." Or things that "fill a hole" in your shoe wardrobe. This is how people end up buying shoes they don't need or how they end up buying purple alligator monkstraps with suede panels.

What kind of clothes do you wear?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a brand in mind?

I do not, as that is best left up to taste. Any good shoemaker should offer a pair of black oxfords, however. My personal preference is for British ones.

Of all the shoes that are available, the one non-negotiable pair is plain, black oxfords. You need them for evening clothes, black or grey trousers, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of all the shoes that are available, the one non-negotiable pair is plain, black oxfords. You need them for evening clothes, black or grey trousers, etc.

Black oxfords are only for dark worsted suits, IMO. If someone doesn't wear dark worsted suits often, they should not get black oxfords.

I often feel like the formality of shoes is lost here. Too many people wear oxfords in outfits where they would be better served by a derby. Scroll through old photos of the "Golden Age" of classic men's dress and you will struggle to find many well dressed figures wearing oxfords with anything less than a suit, let alone in a color as formal as black.

AdamBara

Reaction score
Chukka boots.

Yes, I def need those! To my understanding chukka boots are for the fall/winter?

I recommend thinking about how you dress or want to dress, and get shoes that fit into that kind of wardrobe. When someone starts to think about shoes in terms of a collection, the shoes often become standalone pieces that are unconnected to the rest of a wardrobe, and thus often don't make sense in outfits.

IMO, a bad way of building a shoe wardrobe is collecting things that are "classic." Or things that "fill a hole" in your shoe wardrobe. This is how people end up buying shoes they don't need or how they end up buying purple alligator monkstraps with suede panels.

What kind of clothes do you wear?

I know exactly what you mean. When I started my shoe journey it became an addiction to have as many shoes possible without thinking about what I was trying to achieve. So this is how I ended up with 13 shoes from which I sold a few. The only one on the list are the cognac Santoni's I'm trying to get rid off and the cognac Francesco Benigno's.

These are the kinds of clothes I'm wearing now. most are from the summer that's why I'm wearing polos (don't mind the mask it is a photoshop lol):

AA.jpg

But im not "happy" with my style now. I'm aiming for the style Kirby Allison has. So that would be very formal.

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 13

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chocolate suede tassel loafers, chocolate suede chelsea boots, and chili longwings covers about 90% of occasions for me.

Edit: Oh and chunky dark chili derbies.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I def need those! To my understanding chukka boots are for the fall/winter?

I know exactly what you mean. When I started my shoe journey it became an addiction to have as many shoes possible without thinking about what I was trying to achieve. So this is how I ended up with 13 shoes from which I sold a few. The only one on the list are the cognac Santoni's I'm trying to get rid off and the cognac Francesco Benigno's.

These are the kinds of clothes I'm wearing now. most are from the summer that's why I'm wearing polos (don't mind the mask it is a photoshop lol):

View attachment 1488051

But im not "happy" with my style now. I'm aiming for the style Kirby Allison has. So that would be very formal.
Based on this, your collection is basically complete and you're not missing anything.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black oxfords are only for dark worsted suits, IMO. If someone doesn't wear dark worsted suits often, they should not get black oxfords.

I often feel like the formality of shoes is lost here. Too many people wear oxfords in outfits where they would be better served by a derby. Scroll through old photos of the "Golden Age" of classic men's dress and you will struggle to find many well dressed figures wearing oxfords with anything less than a suit, let alone in a color as formal as black.

I agree, they work best with sharper outfits like a dark suit. However, I believe they are still an actual necessity. Even if the only time OP wears them is at a funeral or for formal evening events, they will still be needed.

An updated version of these would be something like a calfskin oxford boot, or a very, very sleek pair of black chelseas.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1488051

And here we have it. Very formal requires something in black - oxfords, boots, whatever.

Brown shoes are great for more casual outfits, but you have plenty of those already.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, they work best with sharper outfits like a dark suit. However, I believe they are still an actual necessity. Even if the only time OP wears them is at a funeral or for formal evening events, they will still be needed.

An updated version of these would be something like a calfskin oxford boot, or a very, very sleek pair of black chelseas.
Eh, I disagree.

You can't really dress down black oxfords very well, but you can dress up a pair of brown longwings.

No one would bat an eyelash if you wore one to a funeral or wedding.

OP already has a pair of dark brown oxfords for those occasions anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads