• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what shirt to wear with a dark blue suit with thin pinstripes

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
can i get away with a very light blue shirt and dark blue tie (darker than the suit) with pink dots, or is that just too much blue? open to suggestions, but would prefer not to wear a white shirt.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
why don't you want to wear a white shirt? Your most classic look with this suit would be a white shirt in a dressy fabric with a dark tie with texture or a very subtle pattern (eg pin dots NOT polka dots).

If I'm wearing a dark navy suit w/ pinstripes my shirt is most likley going to be white or pale pink. I think if the shirt is blue it should be really light blue. I guess you should post pics of the suit to get better suggestions.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
...and you don't want to "get away with" anything...you want to rock it with ease and confidence

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy
can i get away with a very light blue shirt and dark blue tie (darker than the suit) with pink dots, or is that just too much blue?

In most cases it would be too much blue. The monochromatic look is not really SF-approved but in my opinion it can look good, but if the colours are all the same then the pieces must have some other thing which makes them interesting, and must all fit perfectly. I'm not too sure about pink dots on the tie tbh, personally I would rather go with white dots on the tie and a light pink shirt.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
ok, here's what we've got; my mistake on the tie, the one i was thinking of has light blue dots, not pink. also, could use advice on an overcoat; i have a heavy winter overcoat to wear with it, but i'll be walking around nyc dressed like this monday, and would rather have something a little lighter since it'll be near 50

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with any of the looks described in the first 2 posts; it's only a matter of how much contrast you want between the shirt, suit, and tie. Pindots on a tie should complement pinstripes nicely. The key is keeping the scale of the dots and stripes similar (thus, as Knucklehead wrote, wear pindots and not polka dots). The look will be very sophisticated.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
btw, could alternately wear that shirt & tie together with a black pinstripe suit or a charcoal suit. but, i've got that blue suit, and i'm not sure exactly what to wear with it... would love some suggestions

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a white shirt.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
+1 @ alliswell

There's a difference between a classic look and the "this is my only dress shirt" look. The message conveyed by navy suit, blue tie, and blue shirt is the latter. In general I think its difficult to look good with a shirt and tie in the same color family.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
understood Knucklehead, and appreciate your advice; i'm not so good with the fashion sense. so, avoiding white shirts, what would you recommend with that suit?

Knucklehead

Reaction score
It depends on why you're wearing the suit. If it is for a job interview, you'd better get used to wearing white shirts. This situation has nothing to do with "fashion" and little to do with your preferences.

If you're just wearing your suit for some other purpose, try a shirt with a discrete pattern in a different scale (a windowpane would be nice when paired with a block stripe tie).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads