• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jeans fit like the old Levi's 505s?

RealStreets

Reaction score
Since Levi's decided to make all their jeans uncomfortable (low rise, skinny legs even in non-skinny fit:censored:), I need to find some new jeans that fit similar to the old 505s (which I purchased in 2008). To clarify I want a normal rise, some room in the thighs and seat but not "baggy" "loose" fit and would prefer a very dark rinse. I recently tried on Gap's easy fit which I really liked but they only have light and distressed rinses. Any other suggestions?

Fortysomething

Reaction score

Since Levi's decided to make all their jeans uncomfortable (low rise, skinny legs even in non-skinny fit:censored:), I need to find some new jeans that fit similar to the old 505s (which I purchased in 2008). To clarify I want a normal rise, some room in the thighs and seat but not "baggy" "loose" fit and would prefer a very dark rinse. I recently tried on Gap's easy fit which I really liked but they only have light and distressed rinses. Any other suggestions?

Rather than change the 505s, I thought they introduced the 513s...

RealStreets

Reaction score
The inside waist of 505s up until ~2010 said regular fit (sits at waist, slightly tapered leg) now they say straight fit (sits below waist, straight leg). It's bizarre. I'm confused as to why they didn't just make a new design. There is a huge thread of dissatisfied people on Levi's customer forum.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

yes, try on lots of different cuts. go to the mall ... i am sure you can find tons of "normal" (whatever that means ... generally rises are referred to as low, med, high) and a roomy upper thigh. that is likely the most common fit you can find. they look hideous but it shouldnt be a problem finding a number of favorable cuts to try. plus you can likely find for under $50 so you can take your g/f out for a nice dinner wearing your new 2012 sorta like levi 505 circa 2008 fit jeans! maybe after she will give you a quick hand job if your nice and tell her she doesnt look fat in her muffin top that is two sizes small.

Last edited:

Fortysomething

Reaction score

The inside waist of 505s up until ~2010 said regular fit (sits at waist, slightly tapered leg) now they say straight fit (sits below waist, straight leg). It's bizarre. I'm confused as to why they didn't just make a new design. There is a huge thread of dissatisfied people on Levi's customer forum.

Interesting...I had pretty much equated straight fit with regular fit (at least more or less). I thought that the new 513 was what you described as the "new" 505.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they have been redesigning the cuts of 505s and 501s for years. its something you have to either deal with or find a replacement.

id try lvc 1967 505s... they are are cut kind of slim, but look like a 505.

RealStreets

Reaction score
What I meant by normal rise is a rise that sits at the waist.

Going from sits at waist and regualr leg (slightly tapered) to sits below waist and straight legs seems like a drastic change for the same style. I couldn't even get the new 505s in my size on.

It seems like the LVC 1967s are only available on ebay so that won't do. But thanks for the suggestion.

After looking through Levi's.com, I notice that the only other regular fit style not made for overweight people (comfort, loose-fit) is the 501s, which are said to sit at the waist. However, in the description of each one they say straight fit and sits below the waist. WTF?

I guess it's Gap easy fit for me...

Last edited:

ClassicTimeless

Reaction score
I have recently needed new jeans and come to the same discovery that Levi's has gone the route of changing their cuts to target skinny jean hipsters. Nothing wrong with that I just wish they made new numbers and kept their longer standing number (505) the same cut. Tried on the 501 and it looked like it was painted on my thigh. I have just ordered the 550 online and hope to have found something close to the 505 got a few years back. I'll report back and let you know what I think. Their description seems close to how I would describe the 505 that I loved.

eagles55

Reaction score
I know this an old thread, but I too loved the fit of the old Levis 505's. Levis has changed all their styles and they are now foreign made (Mexico etc). I bought some Mexico 501s and I absolutely hated the low rise and the material, thin cheap denim. I found this company called All American Clothing Co http://www.allamericanclothing.com/ they use material and labor all entirely from the USA. I just recently bought 2 pairs of their model AA101D jeans and they are almost identical to Levis 505s...only better. The denim is heavy duty yet soft like the Levis of old, the rise goes to my waist, and they have a very comfortable feel in the crouch area but they are not at all "baggy". So far I am totally happy with them, they seem as though they will last and wear like levis used to, I am done with Levis and I am helping a company with jobs made in America. Check them out (they only sell on the internet) you won't be sorry!

Jennie Venable

Reaction score
THANK YOU for posting the info for All American jeans. My boyfriend has been made miserable with the changes Levi made to the 505s. He hasn't been able to find jeans he liked. After seeing your post I took a chance and ordered the jeans you recommended and he is thrilled! Thanks for taking the time to post this. Jennie

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, wtf

Thorsway

Reaction score
@ stylin

Yeah, that's right, you're above it all. Gotcha - thanks for your input. Now go take a flyin...

Levi's as a company is beset with an obtuse and myopic management group - but hey, I make it my policy to eschew obfuscation. They don't know who their customers are. If they want to write off a HUGE demographic that was a fan of the 505 style, and I mean for decades - and go to the teeny bop look - well there' snot much you can do for them.

But I tell you one damn thing, there's a whole lot of us who aren't gonna wear that crap - end of story. Ordered jeans from American Clothing Co. TODAY. YEAH !!!

ken3

Reaction score
Try Levis 557 or 559. This is what I buy for my husband & he is def a mans man. He is always wrkn on our farm & he says they are very comfortable to wrk in. They are a mid waist & have a relaxed fit through the legs. I dont know a lot about mens jeans but i would describe these both as a traditional pair of mens jeans. Also chk out Carhart jeans

jim fay

Reaction score
I contacted them and they acknowledged that they did change the waist to newer low rise on the 505. I had the same problem "Not wanting my az-crack showing." They would not exchange them for me so I am boycotting them. I have a closet full of Levis brand products. Levi jean jacket, button up shirts, t-shirts, and nothing but their jeans. Never once did I complain about the price because I could have anyone get me jeans (gifts or wife getting them for me).

I have one question for you. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BUY ANYTHING FROM THE COMPANY?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads