• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite film?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong film. I use digital rather badly.

Zubberah

Reaction score
My Top 10 (in chronological order). If I were to choose one, it would be Persona.

Sherlock, Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924)
Sunrise (F.W. Murnau, 1927)
La Passion de Jeannne d'Arc (Carl Dreyer, 1928)
Journal d'un CurÃ
00a9.png
de Campagne (Robert Bresson, 1950)
Sansho Dayu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergeo Leone, 1968)
Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman, 1972)
Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974)
A Short Film About Killing (Kryzstof Kieslowski, 1987)

Runners Up (listed chronologically): STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928, USA, Charles F. Reisner, Buster Keaton [uncredited] ), CITY LIGHTS (1931, USA, Charles Chaplin), LA GRANDE ILLUSION (1937, France, Jean Renoir), PINOCCHIO (1940, USA, Walt Disney), THE ILLIAC PASSION (1948, USA, Gregory Markopolous), LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN (1948, USA, Max Ophuls), LA TERRA TREMA (1948, Italy, Luchino Visconti), LOS OLVIDADOS (1950, Mexico, Luis Buñuel), SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952, USA, Stanley Donen/Gene Kelly), SHANE (1953, USA, George Stevens), IKIRU (1953, Japan, Akira Kurosawa), CHIKAMATSU MONOGATARI/aka CRUCIFIED LOVERS (1955, Japan, Kenji Mizoguchi), PICKPOCKET (1959, France, Robert Bresson), SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959, USA, Billy Wilder), L'AVVENTURA (1960, Italy, Michelangelo Antonioni), PASSENGER (1960, Poland, Andrzej Munk), JULES ET JIM (1961, France, Francois Truffaut), VIVRE SA VIE (1962, France, Jean-Luc Godard), 8 1/2 (1963, Italy, Federico Fellini), LA RELIGIEUSE (1965, France, Jacques Rivette), ANDREI RUBLEV (1966, USSR, Andrei Tarkovsky), SHAME (1968, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman), DEATH BY HANGING (1968, Japan, Nagisa Oshima), A PASSION (1969, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman), TIMES FOR (1971, UK, Stephen Dwoskin), THE GODFATHER (1972, USA, Francis Ford Coppola), ALICE IN THE CITIES (1974, Germany, Wim Wenders), LA VILLE DES PIRATES/ CITY OF PIRATES (1983, France/Portugal, Raúl Ruiz), BELL DIAMOND (1985, USA, Jon Jost )

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick one, I'd probably say Beat the Devil, which was this low-budget spoof made by Bogart's own production company, and which pretty much fell apart during filming, resulting in a movie that is almost more a documentary than a feature film, with its airy, quasi-improvised vibe, sort of like a full-length blooper-reel. It has a kind of neo-realist texture to it, except populated with familiar Hollywood actors of the noir cycle doing send-ups of their signature characters and generally romping about. Every one is kind of haggard and shopworn, none of them seem to care too much. In a way, it's a precursor to The Big Lebowski (which itself affectionately homages noir) because it really isn't about much of anything at all - the film itself as MacGuffin. I can watch it over and over, because it just seems to have so much authentic life in it. If you've seen The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca and the other Bogart "classics", Beat the Devil really is a lot of fun. It's fallen into Public Domain, so you can buy dvds of it for like $3, or even watch it on Google VIdeo. edit: also, to make matters even more absurd, the nominal plot (written by Truman Capote) centers upon the pursuit of significant quantities of uranium from Africa. I kid you not.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gone with the Wind.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmmm....

Even after everything I've ever seen, nothing is ever quite as enjoyable as the following three movies:

1: Raiders of The Lost Ark
2: Robocop
3: True Romance

I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and tell you that Fellini's 8 1/2 is my favorite film, cause I'd be lying.
I hate art school dick measuring contests.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads