• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the next step up from Brooks Brothers?

mirinjobra

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some nice sweaters (not cashmere) and dress shirts but from what I've been reading, BB quality has gone down. What's the next best thing?

starro

Reaction score
Seeing how there are a ba-jillion expensive stores, and we know nothing of your preferences, my best advice is to buy from the merchant that's ever so slightly pricier than Brooks.

Last edited:

mirinjobra

Reaction score
Seeing how there are a ba-jillion expensive stores, and we know nothing of your preferences, my best advice is to buy from the merchant that's ever so slightly pricer than Brooks.

I am not the type of person who pays a higher price because I think higher price = better quality. That wasn't my question - my question was what is the next step up. I'm sure there are brands out there that are better than BB for a lower price, but if I have to pay more, I don't mind.

starro

Reaction score
I am not the type of person who pays a higher price because I think higher price = better quality. That wasn't my question - my question was what is the next step up. I'm sure there are brands out there that are better than BB for a lower price, but if I have to pay more, I don't mind.

What's quality to you? At the end of the day, a shirt is pieces of cloth held together by thread. Any decent maker can guarantee that the thread will not fall apart in the shirt's lifetime. So after that what do you prioritize?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who said Brooks quality has gone down? In what sense?
Brooks Quality Decline:
My pajama example. For several decades I bought BB oxford cloth pajamas.
I have some that are close to 20 years old. When the pajamas purchased in
say 2010 started falling apart before the pajamas from ten years earlier it was
obvious that there has been a quality decline. BB went from US pajamas in the
90s to Chinese made by the 2000s. The first Chinese were IMO as good as the US made
but the later ones were those that fell apart. I now buy pjs from LL Bean.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went bespoke after BB. I use Hamilton which is a local shirt maker in Houston.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton has a good reputation. Barney's offered their bespoke shirt service
some years ago. Hamilton doesn't make tailored clothing does it?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that the word about town says that BB has been making a concerted effort to correct their falling QC and quality standards over the last decade. If anything their quality is supposed to be going up. And from my anecdotal experience, it is. Maybe they aren’t at the level of an Oxxford but they aren’t department store garbage. At least not anymore.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hamilton has a good reputation. Barney's offered their bespoke shirt service
some years ago. Hamilton doesn't make tailored clothing does it?
I know they do offer other tailored clothing but haven’t really tried them out other than shirts.

Shirts are true bespoke and they said dress trousers are as well. I know they also make suits and sports coats but I don’t know if that’s MtM or true bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Na1374