• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the extra piece of fabric in new trousers for?

coatandthai

Reaction score
New trousers seem to come with tape for the cuffs and a small piece of fabric. Is the fabric for making an extra belt loop?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, you can make some belt loops from the spare fabric, should you desire more belt loops. Or pull a few threads for invisible mending, should that be needed. Or use it for some other small repair.

Chances are, you'll never need it. But keep it...........just in case.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I'd do with the extra fabric is use some of it to have what might be termed a "belt-buckle stabilizer" made and sewn on to the waistband. I'm not sure of the accepted term for what I'm suggesting, but it is a small, half-size belt loop placed right at the longitude of the fly on the waistband, and is used to run the buckle prong through when cinching up the belt. It functions to keep the buckle--and hence the belt--precisely centered on the waistband, preventing it from "migrating" up or down (or, for that matter, from side to side), something that can look lousy in a dressy outfit. I've had my tailor make these for me with the cuttings at the cuff when having new trousers hemmed, and they really help in keeping the buckle precisely centered. Of course, it will only work with standard dress-type belt buckles with central prong.

Great idea, Bengal-stripe about keeping the fabric for invisible mending later if needed.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Or pull a few threads for invisible mending, should that be needed. Or use it for some other small repair.

I'm curious about that. True, I keep that spare bit of fabric on hand should the need for reweaving arise. But wouldn't the wear and tear on the pants, plus a drycleaning from time to time, eventually cause the fabric swatch to be a slightly different shade than the pants? Or is the difference too insubstantial to worry over?

xarope

Reaction score
There's a thread over at AAAC about this too, it seems the tape can be sewn either slightly past the cuff (if matched nicely in colour to be considered invisible) which will then protect the cuff from wear and tear. My su misura pants have this tape, but about 1/2 cm above the cuff, so I thought it was to have substance on the cuff when hanging from them, so I shall have to speak to my fitter about getting this corrected if appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads