• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between suits made in England and China?

sseedragon

Reaction score
anyone notice a difference in fully canvass suits? price in china are cheap comparable to england

Reaction score
Really, the materials used, designer, manufacturer and competency of the tailor would matter more than the geographical location. It's impossible to make national-level generalizations.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Nonfunctional pocket square; won't fit even the smallest Wang.

JKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketTriangle
Really, the materials used, designer, manufacturer and competency of the tailor would matter more than the geographical location. It's impossible to make national-level generalizations.

+1

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is because the magic of the "made in" is still working on the most of us...
Even if the Chinese worker is as skilled than the English /Italian machinists , most of us will buy the latter...
We can also debate of this matter with rational point of views such as pockettriangle, the reality is that we do make enough of a difference between the two geographical set of operations to ask ourselves the question ...

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I am curious how MTM suits from Chans in HK compare to RTW suits made in Italy at a similar price point. I am sure he uses some of the top fabrics from Italy for many of his suits.

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
^^ somehow true.

The only way to tell the difference is 1) feel the fabric and 2) after the laundry, if it gets worn out easily without any effort then it is made in china.

No offense meant.
db60b95decdeed944b4cd8685417cfdc.jpg
smile.gif

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogue
Hong Kong is one thing, "China" is another. In Hong Kong, you probably get more bang for the buck, as the tailors learned from the English. In China, they make suits with lead paint and embed them with listening devices.

I could be wrong, but I thought Chan made many of his suits in Shanghai. I don't know if manufacturing quality is that much different between HK and Shanghai> I have never been to mainland China and the last time I was in HK, they were still flying the British flag, which I guess was over 10 years ago.

What I am trying to say is we (myself included) tend to generalize about the quality of Made in Italy or Made in China suits, but I am sure there are many quality tailors in China/HK and other sub-par suits that are Made in Italy. I agree though that they are probably exceptions to the rule. I am considering setting up an appointment with Chan during his next US tour though.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was some discussion of Crittenden awhile back, and the consensus seemed to be that they were well-made suits of Chinese manufacture. This is not the usual case, of course.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
One was hand crafted by sewing machines on 22 pounds an hour. The other is done by little 7 year old girls with delicate hands, on 22 Yuan a day.

I opt for the cheap child labor!

( i got 3 british textiles, H&S, Scabal, Wain shiell clothes in HK, and i think they're fine quality. depends who your tailor is... I got mine cut and made by this old school tailor-stitching of the jacket itself- collar, lapels, back and sleeves are all done by hand i can see.. but mom says the button holes seem done by machine!- suspect he's skimping out by mechanizing parts of the process)

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogue
Hong Kong is one thing, "China" is another. In Hong Kong, you probably get more bang for the buck, as the tailors learned from the English. In China, they make suits with lead paint and embed them with listening devices.

Where do you think WW Chan learnt his trade?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads