Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the difference between suits made in England and China?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sseedragon, May 10, 2009.

1. sseedragon

sseedragon Well-Known Member

anyone notice a difference in fully canvass suits? price in china are cheap comparable to england

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

3. PocketTriangle

PocketTriangle Member

Really, the materials used, designer, manufacturer and competency of the tailor would matter more than the geographical location. It's impossible to make national-level generalizations.

4. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

Nonfunctional pocket square; won't fit even the smallest Wang.

5. JKB

JKB Member

Really, the materials used, designer, manufacturer and competency of the tailor would matter more than the geographical location. It's impossible to make national-level generalizations.

+1

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is because the magic of the "made in" is still working on the most of us...
    Even if the Chinese worker is as skilled than the English /Italian machinists , most of us will buy the latter...
    We can also debate of this matter with rational point of views such as pockettriangle, the reality is that we do make enough of a difference between the two geographical set of operations to ask ourselves the question ...

7. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

I am curious how MTM suits from Chans in HK compare to RTW suits made in Italy at a similar price point. I am sure he uses some of the top fabrics from Italy for many of his suits.

8. sl33p3rs

sl33p3rs Well-Known Member

^^ somehow true.

The only way to tell the difference is 1) feel the fabric and 2) after the laundry, if it gets worn out easily without any effort then it is made in china.

No offense meant.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

Hong Kong is one thing, "China" is another. In Hong Kong, you probably get more bang for the buck, as the tailors learned from the English. In China, they make suits with lead paint and embed them with listening devices.

I could be wrong, but I thought Chan made many of his suits in Shanghai. I don't know if manufacturing quality is that much different between HK and Shanghai> I have never been to mainland China and the last time I was in HK, they were still flying the British flag, which I guess was over 10 years ago.

What I am trying to say is we (myself included) tend to generalize about the quality of Made in Italy or Made in China suits, but I am sure there are many quality tailors in China/HK and other sub-par suits that are Made in Italy. I agree though that they are probably exceptions to the rule. I am considering setting up an appointment with Chan during his next US tour though.

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

There was some discussion of Crittenden awhile back, and the consensus seemed to be that they were well-made suits of Chinese manufacture. This is not the usual case, of course.

11. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

One was hand crafted by sewing machines on 22 pounds an hour. The other is done by little 7 year old girls with delicate hands, on 22 Yuan a day.

I opt for the cheap child labor!

( i got 3 british textiles, H&S, Scabal, Wain shiell clothes in HK, and i think they're fine quality. depends who your tailor is... I got mine cut and made by this old school tailor-stitching of the jacket itself- collar, lapels, back and sleeves are all done by hand i can see.. but mom says the button holes seem done by machine!- suspect he's skimping out by mechanizing parts of the process)

12. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

Hong Kong is one thing, "China" is another. In Hong Kong, you probably get more bang for the buck, as the tailors learned from the English. In China, they make suits with lead paint and embed them with listening devices.

Where do you think WW Chan learnt his trade?

13. bingusa

bingusa Well-Known Member

In China, they make suits with lead paint and embed them with listening devices.

What were you trying to say?

14. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

15. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

Quality.
    Yes, of course. Kilgour's entry-level bespoke is just crap.