What is the 'athletic' size?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by BareSolid, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Kas

Kas Senior member

[​IMG]

2. dmash

dmash Senior member

disagree. this is pretty much a bodybuilder look. not necessarily an athletic look

Yeah, actually this would be true. There's actually some extremely athletic guys that only have about a 4" drop but can run a 25 mile marathon haha.

I was thinking more aesthetically pleasing.

3. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Personally I think about an 8 or 9 inch drop looks best, depending on height. Short guys with 12"+ drops always look kind of weird to me.

4. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

so drop is just the difference between chest circumference and waist circumference? Id seen it mentioned in several threads here but didnt know what it meant.

5. dmash

dmash Senior member

Personally I think about an 8 or 9 inch drop looks best, depending on height. Short guys with 12"+ drops always look kind of weird to me.

Short guys maybe....idk, Frank Zane imo has one of the best physiques in my opinion. He was 5'9 and had 50" chest and 29" waist competition time some years. that's a TWENTY ONE INCH drop. Not to homo this thread up at all but:

[​IMG]

6. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Dude looks great like that, but for the purpose of filling out a suit (or even casual clothes), I feel he'd look awkward. His 21" drop is, nevertheless, pretty impressive.

7. Hangdog

Hangdog Well-Known Member

I'll stop doing weighted pull-ups and just run long distance followed by some light calisthenics, then. Wouldn't want to look "awkward".

8. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

8 seems to be a nice drop for those around average height, it's all relative however.

9. zoorado

zoorado Senior member

I'll stop doing weighted pull-ups and just run long distance followed by some light calisthenics, then. Wouldn't want to look "awkward".

Ha. I've been doing weighted pullups for some time. Now working on weighted one-arm pulls. Can't imagine getting Frank Zane's drop though. I'm probably genetically limited. That dude's waist can't possibly be 29", unless by waist you mean his pelvic girth.

I see more athlecism in long distance runners (and professionals in just about any other sports) than I do in bodybuilders.

10. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

Short guys maybe....idk, Frank Zane imo has one of the best physiques in my opinion. He was 5'9 and had 50" chest and 29" waist competition time some years. that's a TWENTY ONE INCH drop. Not to homo this thread up at all but:

bananapic.jpg

That's not athletic looking... its impressive, but I would never want that physique.

There's a big difference between athleticism and fitness, but the line is blurred.

11. dmash

dmash Senior member

That's not athletic looking... its impressive, but I would never want that physique.

There's a big difference between athleticism and fitness, but the line is blurred.

That is definitely true. There are competition cyclists I know that are 5% bodyfat...yet bodybuilders I know at 8% bodyfat look more ripped than them. One could even argue that athleticism goes hand in hand with cardiovascular endurance.

One could ALSO argue that it's just raw talent. Professional lineman aren't athletic 'looking' but are amazing athletes.

I guess I sort of contradicted myself in this thread.[​IMG]

12. Hangdog

Hangdog Well-Known Member

I think some of you are totally off your mark when you clamor about the lack of athleticism in bodybuilders. 275lb. modern roid monsters are one thing, but Marvin Eder, Steve Reeves and Reg Park were nothing if not VERY athletic. Mavin Eder could hold an iron cross.

13. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

I think some of you are totally off your mark when you clamor about the lack of athleticism in bodybuilders. 275lb. modern roid monsters are one thing, but Marvin Eder, Steve Reeves and Reg Park were nothing if not VERY athletic. Mavin Eder could hold an iron cross.

yeah, i see that as a major difference between old and new generations of bodybuilders. the guys today walk on stage at 290, but back then (forgive me, i can't think of his name) could do backflips holding like 30lb dumbbells or something like that. lots of the oldschool guys had some really athletic trick they could do

14. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

That is definitely true. There are competition cyclists I know that are 5% bodyfat...yet bodybuilders I know at 8% bodyfat look more ripped than them. One could even argue that athleticism goes hand in hand with cardiovascular endurance.

One could ALSO argue that it's just raw talent. Professional lineman aren't athletic 'looking' but are amazing athletes.

I guess I sort of contradicted myself in this thread.[​IMG]

contradiction or not, you're right. you can't judge someone's athleticism by their looks

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

^^ good point: [​IMG]