• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is swagger? discuss

TheDroog

Reaction score
Lots of good discussion so far, but the fact remains you only have swagger when Rex Ryan says you do.

0,,7546268,00.jpg

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Fade2Black

Ok good one buddy. You forgot to use this though:
rimshot.gif

Fade2Black is a huge douchetard.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swagger is...

Subjective and relative, but usually broad.

If we're talking about stills: very reliant upon photographic skill and quality. The photographic arts. A photo can create swagger in the swaggerless.

The art of, accidental or not (see PUAs), of being desirous, but that isn't to say it is always sexual. I agree the photo of Pollock has swagger. He's not wearing anything special, he's not particularly attractive, but he's doing something amazing, and I know that and that makes me desire him - as a friend, acquaintance, etc.

And that is why swagger has this necessity of being accidental or intrinsic, because you either like someone or you don't, they can't MAKE you find them desirable (or, you don't want them to be able to MAKE you like them, you want that to be your decision).

Swagger is being desirable.

u007

Reaction score
Swagger is looking effortlessly good and stylish and being comfortable.

So many people on this site posting pics of "SF-approved" outfits - skinny/slim jeans, desert boots, button-down shirt, peacoat etc but they look awkward as hell. They're often some young-looking skinny kid with glasses and basically they just don't "pull it off" and look good, even though they're wearing "good" clothes.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so swagger is when you feel bulletproof in your outfit? for me these waywters embody swagger (no ****)
waywt18.jpg
waywt34.jpg
n15904009404470686923.jpg
43023352601bc668eda5o.jpg
fuuma.jpg
tumblrkuawyjuffc1qzarie.jpg
north.jpg
hap especially. not all of his fits are fantastic, but i feel like he def has swagger. i kinda feel like swagger is like Appreciation. you recognize it when you see it. but good physique and confident helps and btw i dont give a **** whether or not i have swagger. i could give a **** less. what i'm more interested in is why some people are perceived as having swagger ie how do you quantize swagger also i realize how stupid it is to judge swagger from a single picture, but i feel that consistency in waywts helps establish that perception

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Subcat:/Music/famous musicians/Garfunkel, Art/no swagger whatsoever{very_white]:

Garfunkel had a hella lot more swagger than Paul Simon. He actually dressed well.

74ad8f77313c21d3f4d706a5455dec0d.jpg

Notice the subtle difference in posture and expression which makes such a massive impression on our perception.

garfunkel-simon!!999.jpg

Though they both look fairly cool here.

Swagger can be to do with confidence. It can be to do with looks. It can be to do with a well-constructed photograph. It is possible to have all three, though, and lack swagger.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
so swagger is when you feel bulletproof in your outfit?

for me these waywters embody swagger (no ****)

waywt18.jpg

waywt34.jpg

n15904009404470686923.jpg

43023352601bc668eda5o.jpg

fuuma.jpg

tumblrkuawyjuffc1qzarie.jpg

north.jpg

hap especially. not all of his fits are fantastic, but i feel like he def has swagger.

i kinda feel like swagger is like Appreciation. you recognize it when you see it.

but good physique and confident helps

and btw i dont give a **** whether or not i have swagger. i could give a **** less. what i'm more interested in is why some people are perceived as having swagger ie how do you quantize swagger

also i realize how stupid it is to judge swagger from a single picture, but i feel that consistency in waywts helps establish that perception

Why are so many of them afraid to show their faces even though they have all that swag?
eh.gif

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
^ Ah the old Simon and G fizzle. Hmmm...Garfunkel carried around that mop top effortlessly and without hesitation. Does that not get sawg points?
geek chic =/= 'swagger
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Paul Simon - swagger??? You have got to be kidding.
I didn't say he has it or lacks it. He's borderline though. Sensitivity ~/= swagger. But it might get ya laid when you're a short guy.
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
You dropped a reference there, let me pick it up for you.
tounge.gif
In my opinion, swagger is the the feeling you get when you know you own your look. Here's my personal anecdote: I used to have a leather motorcycle-type jacket that fit me perfectly and looked awesome (Because it was unisex, and i've been working out, I've since outgrown it). I felt so ******* cool in that jacket that putting it on just made me feel super confident; I would honestly look in the mirror and think to myself "i'm ******* awesome today." Why? Probably a combination of qualities that the garment had. Some of these qualities were innate, in that I loved the way the garment looked, smelled, and fit. But there were also a series of psychological associations that I had with that particular type of jacket: In my mind, leather jackets are the ultimate in ******* badass--it probably has to do with how many comic books I read; as silly as this sounds, that jacket made me feel like Wolverine: dangerous, masculine, cool, what have you. And that confidence translated to my everyday life; people started treating me differently in it--women in particular loved the jacket. The girls I dated at the time liked me in part because of this attitude that i was dangerous, masculine and cool and they found that particularly attractive. And I honestly think that attitude came off as genuine, because I was so damn sure of that fact because I was constantly reinforcing that image in my own head every time i put on that jacket. I've been able to keep that feeling alive pretty well now in the way that I dress (winter is harder, because so much of my confidence is tied to my own physicality) but I still look at that jacket sometimes (i gave it to a friend of mine, who loves it almost as much as I did) and miss how it made me felt. And that is what swagger means to me.

Swagger means never having to explain yourself.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Why are so many of them afraid to show their faces even though they have all that swag?
eh.gif

OP clearly confuses 'EMO' with swagger.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol

maybe if you're truly cool ... you don't need to be told you're cool
or analyze it either
cool.gif

ftfy

Give the kid a prize.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily