• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is swagger? discuss

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Are you guys posting pictures of dus b/c you know they had swagger in life? Or bc the photos themselves suggest they have "swagger?"

If it's the latter then the only "swagger" they have is looking relaxed and comfortable. Which means y'all need to buy less and wear more.

IRL swagger is acquired through being born with great looks and the genes to develop an incredible body

people who are wearing nice clothes IRL always look like they are trying too hard, no matter how well dressed they look

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
needs more melanin
Originally Posted by Gravitas
^^^ Better?
Well, now it all depends then, don't it? A cultural thing, like. Brit swagger:
05_03_2008_170331_timfea_u1506289.jpg

denimaddict

Reaction score
Brad Pitt in Fight Club. It is really a measure of leadership ability and a sense of proportion in clothing.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Are you guys posting pictures of dus b/c you know they had swagger in life? Or bc the photos themselves suggest they have "swagger?"

If it's the latter then the only "swagger" they have is looking relaxed and comfortable. Which means y'all need to buy less and wear more.

All of these photos have guys wearing clothes that look lived in. It's different from a guy cheesing it up for his self-timer with freshly opened Gilt boxes in the background. Also, the process of living itself winnows out clothes that are overdesigned or have superfluous details.

Of course, the subject of a photo taken by a professional who knows his craft is going to be more swaggery than aforementioned self-taken WAYWT.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
IRL swagger is acquired through being born with great looks and the genes to develop an incredible body

people who are wearing nice clothes IRL always look like they are trying too hard, no matter how well dressed they look

I don't think you need to have particularly good looks to have swagger. It is confidence, doing things with authority and being unflappable. Keith Richards has mega swagger.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
All of these photos have guys wearing clothes that look lived in. It's different from a guy cheesing it up for his self-timer with freshly opened Gilt boxes in the background. Also, the process of living itself winnows out clothes that are overdesigned or have superfluous details.

Of course, the subject of a photo taken by a professional who knows his craft is going to be more swaggery than aforementioned self-taken WAYWT.

concur! somehow, the [visual] of scampering to get in front of the camera to take your own fit photo does not compute to swagger. need to edit title to "What is SF swagger?".

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Ah the old Simon and G fizzle. Hmmm...Garfunkel carried around that mop top effortlessly and without hesitation. Does that not get sawg points?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Main Entry: 1swag·ger
Pronunciation: \\ˈswa-gər\\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): swag·gered; swag·ger·ing \\-g(ə-)riŋ\\
Etymology: probably from 1swag + -er (as in chatter)
Date: circa 1596

intransitive verb 1 : to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially : to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence
2 : boast, brag

I'm not real sure I would want to own swagger at least not according to MW's definition.

It appears these days it has to do with one's general lifestyle and how well they own it. Clothing is only part of this.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
kinda like Nietzsche perceives Christian values.
You dropped a reference there, let me pick it up for you.
tounge.gif
In my opinion, swagger is the the feeling you get when you know you own your look. Here's my personal anecdote: I used to have a leather motorcycle-type jacket that fit me perfectly and looked awesome (Because it was unisex, and i've been working out, I've since outgrown it). I felt so ******* cool in that jacket that putting it on just made me feel super confident; I would honestly look in the mirror and think to myself "i'm ******* awesome today." Why? Probably a combination of qualities that the garment had. Some of these qualities were innate, in that I loved the way the garment looked, smelled, and fit. But there were also a series of psychological associations that I had with that particular type of jacket: In my mind, leather jackets are the ultimate in ******* badass--it probably has to do with how many comic books I read; as silly as this sounds, that jacket made me feel like Wolverine: dangerous, masculine, cool, what have you. And that confidence translated to my everyday life; people started treating me differently in it--women in particular loved the jacket. The girls I dated at the time liked me in part because of this attitude that i was dangerous, masculine and cool and they found that particularly attractive. And I honestly think that attitude came off as genuine, because I was so damn sure of that fact because I was constantly reinforcing that image in my own head every time i put on that jacket. I've been able to keep that feeling alive pretty well now in the way that I dress (winter is harder, because so much of my confidence is tied to my own physicality) but I still look at that jacket sometimes (i gave it to a friend of mine, who loves it almost as much as I did) and miss how it made me felt. And that is what swagger means to me.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Main Entry: 1swag·ger
intransitive verb 1 : to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially : to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence

Oddly enough, I had a conversation with an older friend on Monday about the word swagger (I find it fun to explain/discuss popular culture and internet culture to/with him). He mentioned something to the tune of this.

Swagger seems to me to have an aspect of masculinity, I don't think i'd consider most goth-ninja posters (some come off as masculine) as having "swagger," even though I do enjoy their style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads