• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What group were you a part of in high school?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My high school's social structure was awesome, and I'm not sure if this stems from being in a rural environment or not, but everyone knew each other and everyone was fine with each other. There were obviously people that could've easily fit into one niche or the other, but for the most part everyone was involved in various activities, talked to each other at school and hung out at parties. I played football, soccer, basketball, tennis, took AP classes, was an art/drama/choir (concert/chamber) nerd, constantly got into trouble, did chess club momentarily, pretended to skate, etc. And rather than being exceptional, this was very much the norm. Despite not really enjoying school (don't like public education and I'm kind of anti-social, which doesn't bode well being an active person at a school like that), I think I'm lucky to have grown up in an environment where everyone could hang out together and that was fine.

Didn't necessarily prepare me for the real world, however.
plain.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I appeared to be a Goth, externally. But I just like wearing black, and trench coats are handy. I was/am a chain smoker, but also played football freshman year (until my career ending knee injury). I graduated with a 1.8GPA because I skipped school a bunch, got high/drunk and didn't care, was enough of an A/V - tech nerd to be the guy the cheerleaders and drill team contacted to make their senior videos, and I was part of the Creative Writing/Newspaper contributor crowd.

Goth/jock/AV club??? holy ****... you weren't kidding.

fortune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
My high school's social structure was awesome, and I'm not sure if this stems from being in a rural environment or not, but everyone knew each other and everyone was fine with each other. There were obviously people that could've easily fit into one niche or the other, but for the most part everyone was involved in various activities, talked to each other at school and hung out at parties. I played football, soccer, basketball, tennis, took AP classes, was an art/drama/choir (concert/chamber) nerd, constantly got into trouble, did chess club momentarily, pretended to skate, etc. And rather than being exceptional, this was very much the norm. Despite not really enjoying school (don't like public education and I'm kind of anti-social, which doesn't bode well being an active person at a school like that), I think I'm lucky to have grown up in an environment where everyone could hang out together and that was fine.

Didn't necessarily prepare me for the real world, however.
plain.gif

exactly how it's like @ my school right now. well for the most part. there's still your off groups like the drama kids and the emos and then the mexican kids that stick to each other but otherwise everyones fine with each other.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I hung out with a group of "outcasts" I guess you'd say. We weren't exactly goth because we didn't always wear black but we did mostly hang out at night. Our favorite hangout was by the beach, specifically this boardwalk which we'd cruise around on motorcycles. Didn't go to class much seeing as how we partied all night and slept all day. We didn't mean any harm and I guess at the end of the day we were really just a bunch of lost boys.

But I turned out ok.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In gym class I would hide under the bleachers and read videogame magazines.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Isn't that like being the tallest midget?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Reggs
In gym class I would hide under the bleachers and read videogame magazines.

Not even I did that.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loner/entertainer. Everyone loved to see me in action, but they would rarely ever have any words to say to me (minus THAT'S TIGHT!, GOOD JOB, WOW YOU'RE SO COOL, ETC).

I can remember slacking off while everyone else took care of the lame boring little details for group projects. The kids invested hard effort into their work. Then when it was time for presentations I would take the spotlight and manhandle the big picture. That was the highlight of my high school career.

Here's my question for all the nerds/ex-nerds. Were you guys aware of being nerdy, or did it all just come naturally to you?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Part of freshman year football doesn't qualify for jock status. We had a million guys come out for the freshman team. Apparently it was the thing to do.
I actually played varsity as a freshman. 4 games. (5TD's, 20 catches for 100+ yds a few pretty decent pancaked DE's, one sack allowed *BUT I SLIPPED!*) Just in case anyone is counting.
smile.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely "random." I hung with a lot of the upper-echelon cool kids/Mean Girls, but at the same time associated with the big-time nerds and less popular folks. I'm just so congenial.
inlove.gif
I was voted Best Dressed, much to the chagrin of some screaming queens that actually posted campaign fliers.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
In high school, I was constantly carrying a camera and spent all my study hall time and some of my class time in the darkroom. I was also unanimously voted president of the photography club, which entailed absolutely no responsibilities whatsoever. 90% of the pictures in the yearbook were taken by me.

I've recently experienced a relapse of that persona.

I disdained the majority of my peers and felt little sentiment for most of them except for wishing them dead. My wish came true for the only kid who really bullied me. He and his sidekick got drunk on the railroad tracks one night and he was cut in half by a train. He was still conscious when he arrived in the hospital, where he died. I still derive some joy from that asshole's horrible death.

Of course, I graduated before some of you were born, so I've ceased to be relevant.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the **** I should be classified as...under achieving over achiever who happened to be smarter than everyone in his class who happened to bboy who happened to be completely oblivious when it came to the opposite sex who happened to look like a stoner?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads