• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does Styleforum do for a living? How does this affect the way you dress?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes and no. Clearly, clothing is a uiversal human need, and better clothing can satisfy other wants (e.g. aesthetic, emotional, social) in addition to its immediate practical purpose. All of this is irrational, but is probably relatively harmless if kept within reason (e.g. does not consume material resources and time better spent on other activities/causes).
While some lip service to frugality is occasionally paid on SF, I am personally growing increasingly jaded. Our society and the world is so riddled with problems, that the extent of time and money wasted on clothing automatically makes most SF-ers (myself included) turbo-douches. I.e. it is not a matter of whether you can "afford it" at all, but a matter of how could you possibly justify that against the backdrop of over-abundant ills. Grownass men should be devoting their energies and talents to something better than prancing around in overpriced stuff.
Thus, in some sense, the absolute amount of clothing expenditures does also become a measure of douchbagery. If so, Vox is the ultimate douchebag, and you all should be ashamed for sheepishly bowing to this cocksucking poster child of the oligarchy.:fu:

smells-like-butthurt-ECid2C.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes and no. Clearly, clothing is a uiversal human need, and better clothing can satisfy other wants (e.g. aesthetic, emotional, social) in addition to its immediate practical purpose. All of this is irrational, but is probably relatively harmless if kept within reason (e.g. does not consume material resources and time better spent on other activities/causes).
While some lip service to frugality is occasionally paid on SF, I am personally growing increasingly jaded. Our society and the world is so riddled with problems, that the extent of time and money wasted on clothing automatically makes most SF-ers (myself included) turbo-douches. I.e. it is not a matter of whether you can "afford it" at all, but a matter of how could you possibly justify that against the backdrop of over-abundant ills. Grownass men should be devoting their energies and talents to something better than prancing around in overpriced stuff.
Thus, in some sense, the absolute amount of clothing expenditures does also become a measure of douchbagery. If so, Vox is the ultimate douchebag, and you all should be ashamed for sheepishly bowing to this cocksucking poster child of the oligarchy.:fu:

just for you brah

dr-zoidbergs-butthurt-cream.jpg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

41885dfb-6c35-4caf-be7d-9092726c4c83.jpg

aperson

Reaction score
I'm a software engineer. I could never wear a suit to work. I can get away with a sportcoat and jeans as long as everything is kept casual.

Jaggs

Reaction score
It depends on the caliber of the chick that I'm talking to.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wanted to reply to this, but I think other people have taken care of it.

I feel that some of my friends who I talk to about my interest in clothing have a thought in this vein. Having a pair of $500 shoes seems excessive to people, yet if I were to say I have a $1000 computer, tv, or camera, nobody would think twice.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
consulting - biz casual.

i'd also love to have a job where id have to wear a suit everyday

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

God, I hate you plebs.

We know. Still, I remain grateful for your spiriting me away from Bosnia in your helicopter back in the day. The fact that you made me go back and change into proper clothes first still irks me however. :fence:

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am retired. During my first six years of involvement in this forum, I was the editor of Gun World magazine. In all I spent almost 31 year editing and writing for firearms magazines. At 70 I am one of the older members of the forum. I still like to dress up every chance I get--often wear an ascot and sport coat to walk my Japanese Fighting Dog (Tosa-Inu).

browne78

Reaction score
I would love a job where I would have to wear a suit everyday!

Yes and No. It reminds me of being in my early teens and wanting to be able to have the growth to shave daily.

When your actually in that position, its not quite as rosy. As a consultant Im constantly bumping into clients at airports, restaurants, or even grabbing a drink downtown.
My latest nightmare was a flight to Australia wearing a three piece suit (jacket off of course), and not being able to change into my sleeping gear as a prospective client
was sat opposite me and wanted to talk shop.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Design engineer. Most days I'm by myself in the office all day, but I never know when I need to meet a client or go to a public meeting with elected officials. Mostly I try to dress nice as a matter of self respect, comfort, and to uphold the image of the profession.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads