• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about this suit...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear SF:

So, I have been looking for a nice, simple suit for my job this summer. I already have a grey and charcoal suit, so I was guessing that navy would be the next step.

I am a college student, so I do not have the... ability to spend an exorbitant amount of money on clothes, but I despise cheap clothing at the same time. I came across this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SAMUELSOHN-S...3A1%7C294%3A50

and was wondering what y'all thought of it. It is three button, which is a bit of a shame, but from what I have heard Samuelsohn is a respectable brand. Its also fully lined, which appeals to me, and has dual vents. I am somewhat hesitant about Super 100s wool--will that be a tad too heavy?

Thanks, and other suggestions would be much appreciated if this suit would be a bad idea!

Cheers,

Josh

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pleats on the pants are terrible.
Other than that, the suit is custom to someone elses body. Its not like its off the rack and designed to fit varying body types. Not that it should discourage you just be careful.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ay, I did not originally see that it was made for someone... that is no bueno...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alas, I work for a Law Firm, so a suit from H&M is pretty much out of the questions--I am pretty much forced to wear conservative "BB-esque" clothes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A suit in a conservative color that fits well would serve your purpose well, IMO. The eBay suit looks very dated and would not be flattering on someone young.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I hope you'll forgive me for blundering into the midst of the conversation -- I've been admiring the bons mots and brotherly bonding over all things bespoke for some time here.

As someone not entirely new to dressing up (but of course realizing that I've been doing it wrong for lo these many years thanks to SF), what is it exactly about this suit that makes it dated? I have a few 3-button unvented outfits that are consigned to the attic partly because I feel they're out of style, but also because they're crap quality.

But this suit seems to have lots going for it: for instance, isn't that a roll? And can the flat-front pants fad really last forever (prior to 1999, the last time pleatless dress pants were in fashion was 30 years previous, n'est pas?)?

Anyway, thanks for all the laughs and learnin' thus far!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where to begin... ventless, closed quarters, 1,000 pleats on each leg, high rise, wide uber padded shoulders. You'd look like Ricky Ricardo in that suit.
without%20window.jpeg

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fascinating...learning all the time. Thank you. Now that you mention it (and I've had a chance to Google it), the closed-quarters phenomenon is exactly why my other 3-buttons are banished.

I also didn't see the hideous triple-pleats at first. Ugh.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Hmm. I wore a Canali suit very similar to it...back in 1993. The broad shouldered, triple-pleated pant, 3 button ventless suit was all the rage back then.

A nice Hart Schaffner Marx or even Joseph Abboud suit would be a better choice. True, these suits do retail for @$800. However, if you search the discount places like Nordstroms Rack, you should be able to find one in the $350 range. If that's still too high, try a Jack Victor suit. I bought one at Nordstroms Rack for $200 in a pinch--I was out of town on business and the airline lost my luggage, so I couldn't exactly go to meet my clients in cargo shorts. The overall fit was great and while the fabric wasn't the greatest, it was seviceable.

One last benefit of choosing a suit from one of these makers instead is that no one will ask you if you work for ESPN.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The correct questions have not been asked; what size are you/what are your measurements?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I like the suit's color, I agree about the cut. It probably wouldn't do you any justice.

Here's a suit of the same color also seen on ebay. Personally I think the cut of this suit is better, more flattering than the one you posted, and it is selling for much less (although it looks like it's close to being sold):

carson11.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads