• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you get out of fashion?

acoustik

Reaction score
I become interested in fashion to look better and feel better about myself (I'm not a very good looking person). However, recently I feel like I've become a lot more apathetic about it, browsing SF and other fashion related stuff out of habit. I often find myself asking what the point of it all is. So I was wondering: What do you get out of it? Why are you interested in it?

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just like clothes, if i had more money i would buy stuff just to collect it, without wearing.
i'm actually not vain i don't care so much about hairstyle etc and it's okay for me to walk around in sweatspants outside sometimes

*#..

Reaction score
I get an empty wallet out of it
biggrin.gif
. Aside from compliments here and there, nothing really. I never thought I dressed well until I started caring some years ago because it was nearing the end of my senior year of high school. I was going to college in a half-year or so. I only had some band t's, 2 threadless shirts, this red banana republic shirt, and a pair of levi's to go with my only pair of shoes. I wanted to make the best use of my cash, so I researched online and came across both SF forums. By no means am I trying to be the most stylish guy around - that's too much time/money. I really just want to dress appropriately for each situation that pops up - it's a part of my personality. If I see any area of my life that could use improvement, I'll try my best to enhance it. I'm also the kind of person that prepares for the worst - I always have plenty of cash on hand, good stock of water/non-perishable food on hand, and first-aid supplies in case things go wrong. Upgrading my wardrobe was a big priority as I thought I dressed like a complete schlub during high school, especially formal events. I have this ill-fitting suit I wore to such occasions, and needless to say, I think now would be a good time to use my fireplace.
devil.gif
Nowadays, I have the right clothes for practically every situation. I've been taking it easy on buying new clothes, and I only purchase things I really like. What can I say? I can appreciate well-composed music, fine art, good food, and a well-made garment.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my feelings of misery and despair kind of dissipate, and I get a sense of tranqulity from being able to satisfy my narcissism/psychological ego. My clothes basically are my way of saying this is what you made me, now deal with it.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acoustik
I become interested in fashion to look better and feel better about myself (I'm not a very good looking person). However, recently I feel like I've become a lot more apathetic about it, browsing SF and other fashion related stuff out of habit. I often find myself asking what the point of it all is. So I was wondering: What do you get out of it? Why are you interested in it?
i love clothing. for those of you that say fashion leaves you broke you are not doing it correctly.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
self-control keeps you from feeling bad about your purchases, though

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like fashion, I like clothes, if that makes any sense. I know it's not what the OP meant, but the term "fashion" always annoys me. Fashion is trends and the massive business involved in selling clothing. Clothes are the textiles and the construction and the way colors and textures work together, or against each other. (By those definitions, I bet most designers like clothes and not fashion, too.) What I get out of clothing is plain old aesthetic pleasure, the same as I get from any visual art, except that clothes are more immediate to me since you can actually handle them and wear them (and afford them. for the most part). It's pleasurable, but it's no substitute for being satisfied with your actual life, which is why the sarcastic quote in my sig (it's from Spider, a great movie).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ask not what you can get out of fashion, instead ask what fashion can get out of you!

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I don't like fashion, I like clothes, if that makes any sense. I know it's not what the OP meant, but the term "fashion" always annoys me. Fashion is trends and the massive business involved in selling clothing. Clothes are the textiles and the construction and the way colors and textures work together, or against each other.
SPOILER
these things don't exist without fashion

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I bet most designers like clothes and not fashion, too.)
i think its the opposite. designers are extremely creative people ... they take their idea of fashion (current) and turn that into clothing. what your suggesting would be like giving an artist the tools to paint but nothing to paint on. its useless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads