• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Enjoy Wearing This Year?

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
DSCF8548.jpg

This has essentially been my uniform all year.

From bottom to top; the GATs are the Epaulet version from end of 2016, though I've put more wear on them this year than in the prior 3 years combined. The pants are the selvedge RRL Officer Chinos from 2010 and I found I am wearing these more than anything else. They are very worn in, patched in a number of places, yet never lost that perfect dark British khaki color no matter how many times I've washed them. The shawl collar cardigan is from the now-defunct Lands End Canvas and I'm pretty sure I paid $35 for it back in 2009, making it easily the cheapest cost-per-wear item I've ever owned (if you care about such things, which you should not).

I finally had to admit the cardigan needed a replacement as it's fraying at the sleeves and so one of my few mid-covid clothing purchases was this upgrade pick from PRL:

DSCF8536.jpg

I still have the LEC cardigan, but it's been relegated to at-home duty only (which is also somewhat of a meaningless statement this year, but you get the idea).

In the summer, my uniform was H&M linen pants and long-sleeve polo shirts from Proper Cloth, my other significant clothing purchase this year. I'd been waiting for them to offer a flat hem and when they finally did I ordered four in their performance knit fabrics. These have been great for zoom calls all year, I think I even did a couple court appearances this way early on (we were told everything was casual dress until further notice and no requirement to put on a suit to appear via video from home, though I see most attorneys these days are doing so anyway, myself now included).

DSCF8587.jpg

Oh, and the one other item that I have been in pretty much all year long? These:
Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 1.11.15 PM.png

Groundbreaking stuff, I know

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yo so I didn't have an income for most of 2020 and was spending majority of my life savings on international masters study fees. But I did what I could and wore what I already had and sourced my clothes second hand. It's been a ****** year for a lot of people and I want to send some love to everyone who's been grueling through it. I experienced a 4 week lockdown in April, but after that have enjoyed free travel and great times. It's really been a stellar year for me. This is just a short list of things I wore alot this year, it's moslty fall / winter as I'm going into summer just now, not the most exciting pieces but going through my photos this year, these are my favourites. 2021 I'm looking forward to getting more into dressier clothes as I'll be returning to work then.

IMG_20201220_094327.jpg

Uniqlo Mainline Stuff - Most here know me as a Uniqlo fan. They certainly lost me for a few years, but recently their offerings have been better than ever! While the Lemaire collections can be a big hit or miss, the cuts and designs are feeding back into their mainline. This includes wider fitting clothes with longer front rises and a modest taper, which is how I prefer my clothes to fit now adays. Whether it's through limited funds or not too hot on paying $250 for chinos, I've always been the type to build a wardrobe around nice outerwear and shoes with Uniqlo filling the gaps.

IMG_20200901_082334.jpg

Sugar Cane 1947 - I bought these last year in Japan and it was just awesome being able to try on jeans from a place I've been ordering oversears from for 10+ years. I've been getting Sugar Canes 1947s for over a decade now, they just work for me and are some of the best deal in denim. It's been a few years since I've properly faded a jean and have been enjoying the process like a denim farmer all over agian. I've worn these just about every day.

IMG_20190808_124608.jpg

Our Legacy Japanese Cotton Type II - Got this for $5 from a local thrift and it's a light jacket I grab often. Easy to wear with a nice boxy fit. It got a lot of wear this year.

IMG_20200915_120024.jpg

Buzz MA-1 - Paid about the price of a meal for this. It's got some nice wear and sun fading on it, but overall in really clean shape. It's really structered and just BIG, but something I've been taking out when it's cold with gailforce winds.

IMG_20200725_083520.jpg

Wallace and Barnes Sweatshirt - Thrifted this a few years ago and it's just been my go to sweatshirt ever since. It's got a great cut and is heavyweight that's been super hard wearing.

IMG_20190226_151430.jpg

Older Polo by Ralph Lauren - Another thrift pickup. Metal cat eye buttons, tripple stiched, boxy fit and heavy brushed cotton flannel. This year my appreciation for that era Polo has continued to grow. Cuts are usually spot on for how I like my clothes to fit and the details rival or even best RRL. I've found a couple killer pieces from this era Polo, but this flannel has been my go to.

IMG_20201023_114337.jpg

50s Pendleton Board Shirt - It's fun finding vintage Americana clothes out here and this flannel is a recent find, but I've gotten a lot of wear out of it already. The fabric itself is in amazing condition, but there's repairs throughout the shirt which makes it more interesting. The print on this one is great.

IMG_20190915_180235.jpg

New Balance Trainers - Not above wearing thrift shoes. I've worn these a ton. Usually don't like branded trainers but I like these. The canvas is nice and heavy and they fit a bit wide which is nice.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a great thread. Due to the weather I've been reaching for heavier clothes, and the one I keep wearing is a vintage Polo tweed. Looks great dressed up or down, but especially with a denim shirt. And of course, JMM sunnies. I wear them all the time, and they give me such joy. I hate that they cost so much, but given that I wear them all the time, they're well worth it.

122898390_352289722540569_6029994525155516910_n.jpg

This is not really clothing related, but my Triumph Scrambler has also been so fun. Even when I'm laid off, I go for a ride, sneak away for a night or two of camping, or socially distance with remote friends. Plus it's an excuse to wear moto-related clothes, which is also fun. Speaking of which, these Nonnative zip boots have been worn more than any other footwear this year, and surprisingly are more robust and waterproof than actual workboots.

115806318_286248972640146_9219453609290471072_n.jpg

Looking back on warmer days, of which there were many this summer, the Ripley shirts from Scott Fraser Simpson took me to foreign shores even while staying put. It could be because those shirts were a long time coming, and Scott is an incredible guy, but I wore them at least once a week.

117186330_792664318138948_6525919978204869942_n.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after some life changes (had a kid, moved to an expensive city, changed careers) I don't have as much money to burn on clothes these days.

but I have been buying graphic tees.

partly because they're inexpensive (see above) and so are a harmless indulgence. partly because of nostalgia (what I used to wear before the internet taught me how to dress in the early days of #menswear, when graphic tees became verboten). partly because they're just fun, something I'd been missing in clothes. not to mention practical — since I'm just sitting at home 24/7 this year.

I also came to the realization that my mostly Engineered Garments + EG-adjacent wardrobe probably just looks like a bunch of J. Crew in practice, so trying to counteract that some.

View attachment 1520097
View attachment 1520108
View attachment 1520101
View attachment 1520100
View attachment 1520153
View attachment 1520149
View attachment 1520187

Also really came to appreciate wide pants this year, making me wish I hadn't gone so hard on tapered or slim-straight pants in the past. One of my most worn pairs has been some Rothco cargo pants that were like $50.

And I bought a half dozen baggy, vintage Brooks Brothers oxfords + Ralph Lauren western and work shirts on eBay that have seen a lot of use. Usually worn unbuttoned over a graphic tee with sleeves rolled around the house.

I've been absolutely loving my online ceramics. Nice Mr Mort shirt!! I have his collabs with rowing blazers. BTW your portfolio website is cool as hell!

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1520138
The shawl collar cardigan is from the now-defunct Lands End Canvas and I'm pretty sure I paid $35 for it back in 2009, making it easily the cheapest cost-per-wear item I've ever owned (if you care about such things, which you should not).
I have that same LEC cardigan from 2009 but in grey. It has easily the most number of wears out of all my sweaters haha

xeoniq

Reaction score
I've just been living in a sleeveless tee and lightweight track pants with sneakerboots the past few years. This year wasn't any different. Those items make up my uniform and as such I don't feel like I enjoy them, they are just comfortable and convenient. I can gym, bike and commute in them without walking around in a full activewear outfit during other contexts.

The two pieces I've actually enjoyed putting on throughout the year are my green nylon Windcoat and my ROSEN-X Triton coat. The Windcoat is a lot lighter and is both translucent and has a subtle iridescent shimmer that makes it look quite special in person. It packs into itself and I can just keep it in my bag to throw on when its windy (common off the coast where I live).

ee.jpg

The Triton coat is my wet weather coat, it's a lot heavier and less packable but I feel very protected in it during a storm. The hood buttons off and I stow that when it's not raining. I had a hand in designing and testing the Triton which does make me enjoy wearing it a touch more. Both coats I think style well over my typical uniform. I think I would wear them a lot less if they required completely different outfits to my usual.

cc.jpg

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1341 (1).jpg

This year I wore a Vetra chore coat almost every day. I took it on vacation in February. When everything stopped, I wore it at home. I wore it with a black sweater underneath on 99% of the Zooms I was on. When work gigs came back, I wore it on work gigs. I sewed on a locker loop. I'm wearing it right now.

There were a lot of pants I liked wearing this year but I gotta mention my old pairs of jeans that needed repair after repair. I spent a lot of time patching jeans this year.

0297269F-8379-4607-9339-60C838C8731E.jpeg

Monitaly paracute jacket -- the warmest jacket I own. weird but functional. parachutes.

Tony Shirtmakers denim western shirt - my most-worn collared shirt for the year. it's just been great throughout its life and this year was no different.

I bought some Whites boots this year after seeing Whites in Japan last year and being impressed by how sculptural they can be. These are the most beautiful stomping-around boots.

Lesca P43 sunglasses - bought these early in the pandemic and they just became my only sunglasses I wore for the rest of the year. I have another pair of Lescas I actually am more impressed with, but those feel delicate. The P43s look good and can take some abuse.

IMG_1227 (2).jpg

EG FA pants - tried them on at Supply and Advise in Miami in February and sort of went "how can i not own these silly pants." turned out to be an optimal solution for when it was too hot to wear the chore coat but I needed to carry a wallet, phone, keys, screwdriver, wrench, and more all at once.

no photo on these but like @dieworkwear, Blundstones were some of my favorite footwear this year. They're light, comfortable, and I have lots of toe room in them. It's a delight to take them through rain, mud, gardening, city walks, gigs, whatever.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1520424
This year I wore a Vetra chore coat almost every day. I took it on vacation in February. When everything stopped, I wore it at home. I wore it with a black sweater underneath on 99% of the Zooms I was on. When work gigs came back, I wore it on work gigs. I sewed on a locker loop. I'm wearing it right now.

There were a lot of pants I liked wearing this year but I gotta mention my old pairs of jeans that needed repair after repair. I spent a lot of time patching jeans this year.

View attachment 1520428
Monitaly paracute jacket -- the warmest jacket I own. weird but functional. parachutes.

Tony Shirtmakers denim western shirt - my most-worn collared shirt for the year. it's just been great throughout its life and this year was no different.

I bought some Whites boots this year after seeing Whites in Japan last year and being impressed by how sculptural they can be. These are the most beautiful stomping-around boots.

Lesca P43 sunglasses - bought these early in the pandemic and they just became my only sunglasses I wore for the rest of the year. I have another pair of Lescas I actually am more impressed with, but those feel delicate. The P43s look good and can take some abuse.

View attachment 1520432
EG FA pants - tried them on at Supply and Advise in Miami in February and sort of went "how can i not own these silly pants." turned out to be an optimal solution for when it was too hot to wear the chore coat but I needed to carry a wallet, phone, keys, screwdriver, wrench, and more all at once.

no photo on these but like @dieworkwear, Blundstones were some of my favorite footwear this year. They're light, comfortable, and I have lots of toe room in them. It's a delight to take them through rain, mud, gardening, city walks, gigs, whatever.

I was looking at those EG pants too! Didn't kop, but I like how they look.

Also picked up that Monitaly bomber. Really love that jacket. The shape is so great. It's like wearing a bubble.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1520424

View attachment 1520428

View attachment 1520432

Those EG pants are great...do they come in a heavier canvas? Last time I handled them they seemed a bit lightweight.
Edit: I also have that Monitaly jacket, and should have added that to the Things I Enjoyed Wearing in 2020.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those EG pants are great...do they come in a heavier canvas? Last time I handled them they seemed a bit lightweight.
Edit: I also have that Monitaly jacket, and should have added that to the Things I Enjoyed Wearing in 2020.
So jealous of you jacket wearing sonsabitches...
I break mine out of the closet, put them on, stand in front of the mirror, start to sweat, put them back in storage.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I have lived and loved in these surplus cargos for the duration of the pandemic (I picked them up about a year ago). The wide leg is super roomy and relaxed (I sized up and then bring the waist in with the tabs). The fabric is very broken in, and wears cool in heat and warm in cold. The colour makes them super easy to wear. The cuffs and drawstrings can give them some shape, and the tilted pockets gives me a strong, visceral yes feeling every I time I see them. I love these ******* pants. I also am really into the pair of navy Slackers I picked up from Standard Issue.

On top I've been a wearing a lot of stripes (old Bretons and Columbiaknit rugbies and border stripe tees) topped with military-inspired overshirts and light jackets (this 3sixteen overshirt on cooler days, this tiger camo shirt, this pink Stussy BDU shirt, a Stan Ray 4 pocket woodland camo jacket, etc), and sweatshirts (this Todd Snyder tie dye gets a lot of wear).

I've walked a **** ton in these Ontisuka Tigers this year and they are so good. Comfy as hell, good in a range of weather, with a remarkably durable sole.

As a whole it's remarkably like what I wore as a teen in the 90s, but *******, I always liked that drug culture/militaria/skate thing.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This year my appreciation for that era Polo has continued to grow. Cuts are usually spot on for how I like my clothes to fit and the details rival or even best RRL.

Totally agreed on that, I wonder if we need to start a thread on 90s Polo Blue Label. Three pieces I have really enjoyed this year:

Thick flannel overshirt

DCF1E59D-49E9-44C8-BD4B-F4EA94F702D3.jpeg

Handknit cotton cardigan w/ anchor design

565CEB48-0E3B-40FA-B5A6-C207F8A0DFD6.jpeg

Absolutely mad pure linen parka

D87F5494-3785-426D-8BEB-8D9AEB2BD728.jpeg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread. I bought heavily into Kapital this year (yeah, I might be late to the party, I know, but that's usually how it goes for me when it comes to jawnz) and I've greatly enjoyed almost every piece. Some favourites:

- All things Kapital Kakashi. Imho this Japanese inspired top is so easily used in many different fits over the whole formal-to-casual spectrum. It's a cardigan, sport coat, overshirt, chore coat all combined into one, with just the right amount of elegance in the mix, which means that, to me, it's more versatile than, say, Visvim's Lhamo shirts.

1608463405732.png

1608463634168.png

1608463697467.png

1608464056393.png

1608463870647.png

(This last one is actually a style called the Jubbahn shirt but has a similar design to the Kakashis)

- Kapital bandanas. Has all of the accessory functions of the neck tie over on the CM side (you know: pop of color, adding a bit of flair, drawing others eyes towards my face etc), but without the formality. The cotton bandanas are also surprisingly good at keeping the wind and cold from my neck.

1608464266480.png

1608464394287.png

1608498015808.png

1608464465605.png

- Kapital Ring Coat Liner. A recent purchase, but I am in love. Head over heals. With the added warmth and windproofing of this liner, the usability of the Ring Coat increases exponentially during fall and winter. A must buy for everyone that enjoys the RC and lives in an area with wet and cold winters. I also really like how the liner shows here and there, peeping out from within the rc. It adds another layer and dimension to the coat.

1608464676223.png

1608464702214.png

- Kapital Century Denim in Monkey Cisco fit. As I said above, I am a bit late to the party. But damn, these are great.

1608464775330.png

- Chuck 70's Hi. After a 10 year hiatus from my wardrobe, I decided to get this updated version this year. It's a great sneaker, I love the updated style, materials and insole, and all at a pretty low cost (if you compare to Visvim Skags anyway).

1608465605472.png

- Monitaly CWG Blouson in vintage US Army Parachute. I first noticed this in a great fit pic from the one and only @UrbanComposition and just couldn't get it out of my head. When I first tried it on at home, my girlfriend and kids laughed out loud at me. They said the color and back design made me look like Ninja Turtle. A minor set back. After a few days however, my cooler head prevailed and I kept the damn thing. I haven't looked back ever since. It's an awesome jacket. Also, The Ninja Turtles were pretty cool, right?

1608465072725.png

1608465095412.png

1608465134629.png

1608471232623.png

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads