• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alright, Japanese food gets salty at times depending on what it is, and yeah its salted fish and saltwater seaweed stacked with soy sauce with salt, dipped in salt or something, whateva - but I'm just saying i get to LAX and feel like I should eat a light meal at Bouchon because it's there and the food is made consistently.... salty. They salt everything about 50% more than they need to,your god TK doesn't know seasoning, maybe interior decoration. I have a bistro down the block from my house in Tokyo that makes a reasonable facsimile of Bouchon's menu but serves properly salted food.
FWIW all of those Gagnaire and Robuchon chain restaurants I've eaten at recently - seasoning was perfect for every dish.

Never been to a TK restaurant so I don't know what happens at them. But a kitchen being technically incompetent is different than throwing salt on everything without fail. In fact there appear to be a ton of google hits for Bouchon oversalting.

BTW, have you been to Les Vinum in Nishi-Azabu? You should check it out. Nice game/meats, not oversalted, pretty reasonably priced.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
impolyt, no offense, but we get it. you heart japan, you do not heart america. this is like the third time you've picked this salt fight in this thread alone.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still think stuff is generally underseasoned here, and Keller's foie gras makes me sad on many levels. The texture and the seasoning are really awful.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of salt: Is there a way to turbo-soak stockfish/bacalao? It's already in small pieces. Will it be edible after 27 hours of soaking? Will very many water changes (like every hour as opposed to three or four times a day) speed it up significantly? Air-dried.

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Speaking of salt: Is there a way to turbo-soak stockfish/bacalao? It's already in small pieces. Will it be edible after 27 hours of soaking? Will very many water changes (like every hour as opposed to three or four times a day) speed it up significantly? Air-dried.

24 hours is fine. Change the water a few times.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I still need to make the salt cod w/ vegetables form the Adria book. And the sardines with sesame seeds and carrots. Maybe next week.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

impolyt, no offense, but we get it. you heart japan, you do not heart america. this is like the third time you've picked this salt fight in this thread alone.

Doug, I'm stating the obvious and there is no fight, don't be sensitive about it - the food sucks in America apart from a select handful of restaurants and this is far too big and rich a country for it to have such a miserable dining selection.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Matt. I've seen recipes that soak from 24 hours to 4-5 days...

impolyt, have you seen my PM? Do you know of any Japanese store (preferrably onine to get an idea of the price range and preferrably with a store in Tokyo) that have Tokaname clay pots in stock?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Doug, I'm stating the obvious and there is no fight, don't be sensitive about it - the food sucks in America apart from a select handful of restaurants and this is far too big and rich a country for it to have such a miserable dining selection.

I award 6/10 StyleForvm Points. High marks for 100% confidence in your point of view, but to lift it to why levels of achievement, you need to bump up the condescension at least a few notches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads