• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What details make an outstanding bespoke shoe?

sully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is like anything else bespoke. The owner needs to be happy and the fit needs to be spot on.
Yes this is true, but I'm trying to get more opinions about the finer points in the construction or do members think all makers are similar.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sully
Yes this is true, but I'm trying to get more opinions about the finer points in the construction or do members think all makers are similar.
Whose sock puppet are you?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sully

You're not getting responses because one or two details don't make bespoke shoes outstanding. If they did, every mid-range Italian RTW shoe would have them, just as they have working sleeve buttonholes.

sully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Whose sock puppet are you?
I had some bespoke shoes made by two or three of the London firms about 20 years ago and I'm interested in a new purchase. I met a gent who does outwork for various firms but I didnt have the time to get his detailed opinions so I wanted to get pointers for the next purchase. I am not familiar with sock puppetry is it a new trend
smile.gif
Sorry if my question was not of interest.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
That's a different question. Of the British makers, for example, W. S. Foster currently employs the man considered the best lastmaker in Britain. Gaziano & Girling likes to make more modern looking bespoke shoes.
From the samples I have seen in London, I would concur with Will that the Foster shoes have the most attractive lasts.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm curious to know why so many people on this forum consider Terry to be "the best lastmaker in London." Is it simply because of jcusey's write-up on AAAC?

I ask as I've visited quite a few bespoke shops in London, and most of Savile Row speaks highly of GJ Cleverley in particular. I have little doubt that WSF, G&G and JL are all equally good, but why is Terry (and by extension, WSF) the "best"?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I'm curious to know why so many people on this forum consider Terry to be "the best lastmaker in London." Is it simply because of jcusey's write-up on AAAC?

I ask as I've visited quite a few bespoke shops in London, and most of Savile Row speaks highly of GJ Cleverley in particular. I have little doubt that WSF, G&G and JL are all equally good, but why is Terry (and by extension, WSF) the "best"?

Well, I don't know that he is "the best", but I tend to like squre toed shoes and I think that the Foster shape, which is a very nice square toe, just appeals to me more. Cleverley would be second for me, but Fosters looks just a smidgen better to my eye.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well if if Terry is not the best best he is certainly the oldest and the most experianced, i also like foster and son from what i have seen on the web and in the shop and when i was chatting to G&G at my fitting last month they spoke highly of foster and son.

personally i think it a lot to do with the Co. DNA and what you are looking for, i was wanting to have one pair made with G&G and another with foster and son, but as G&G were nearer (30minutes) to wear my mother lives it made sense to do both pair with G&G as i could not get to london for a fitting this year.

so if this is a detail/ factor then it helped make my mind up to go with G&G and hopefully with no regrets
tounge.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I don't know that he is "the best", but I tend to like squre toed shoes and I think that the Foster shape, which is a very nice square toe, just appeals to me more. Cleverley would be second for me, but Fosters looks just a smidgen better to my eye.

If you like square toes, I think Paul Davies a/k/a the London Shoemaker does an excellent version of this style.

sully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If you like square toes, I think Paul Davies a/k/a the London Shoemaker does an excellent version of this style.

This is interesting, as many years ago Paul Davies worked under Terry Moore at Foster and Son before he joined Cleverley so maybe Mr Moore is a greater influence than it first appears . My choice for my next purchase is heading toward Foster & Son, but from what I understand most firms use the same small number of outworkers so apart from the shop style and leather selection would the craftmanship be of equal quality?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would concur with Will that the Foster shoes have the most attractive lasts.
Unfortunately the samples that Foster & Son has on display are so ancient, that they were probably produced, long before Terry Moore joined the company (late 60s, or so); probably even before the good man was born.

This applies to virtually all the old-established shoemaking companies in London. They have no qualms to display shoes that were made by people who have long joined that great cobbler's workshop in the sky. All of the Lobb display shoes are probably from before WW1. Cleverley has some (new-ish) samples from when the current company was established (about mid 90s), but they still display the shoes of Anthony (George C's nephew, I believe). Anthony never had a show room and worked for a private clientele, which included such well-known aesthetes like Baron de Rede and Hubert de Givenchy.

Anthony (who must have been a contemporary of Terry Moore's), died sometime in the mid 80s. I believe he was the finest shoemaker of his generation.

Here is Anthony's portfolio as well as the samples displayed at Cleverley's (thanks to our friend "˜centipede'):

http://centipede.web.fc2.com/anthony/01.html
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/anthony2/anthony2.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads