• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cut of jean for a short man?

meanpeoplesuck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm around 5'7 and slim. I was wondering if there is a particular cut of jean (by this I mean straight, boot cut, skinny etc.) which would compliment my build better than another cut? I avoid baggy jeans because they seem to make me look much shorter than I already am. I read that "low rise" jeans (is this is the same as "low waisted"?) are best because they will help to avoid having loads of material sagging down between my legs. I currently only have straight legged jeans which are doing me fine, but I wondered if a different cut might be better. Any help would be much appreciated
smile.gif
John

Tampan

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum John!

That's a great handle you have there too. Questions about jeans often appear in the "street wear" section of the forum, but your question applies to any pants, so no problem there.

The "low rise" refers essentially to the length of your fly. Height comes from long vertical lines. Low rise jeans (hence low waist) will not create as long a line from bottom cuff to waist as you get regular waist jeans. Also, baggy jeans will also break the line. If you're inclined to wear boots, then boot cut (outside the boots) will elongate your legs too. There's no right or wrong for the legs.

However skinny jeans, if you're also short and slim, may make you seem waifish or small.

You can further elongate your legs by not having cuffs.

Now, some people have proportionately long legs, short torso. In this case, you could break some of the rules above and look to elongate your torso, by wearing a jacket, untucked shirt, vertical pinstripes, etc. and worry less about the jeans.

Cheers,
Tampan

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ 2nd all of the above. I'm about the same size as you John (5'8") and like the way low-rise jeans fit (no less than about 9") as opposed to my standard 501s with a 10 1/2" rise. As far as dress pants/ chinos I like about 11". Welcome

riotshield

Reaction score
I'm 5' 8" with a 29" inseam. After trying different kinds of jeans, I think straight leg or a slight bootcut work best for me, and tapered and skinny/stovepipe cuts are definitely out for me. A cut I really like is the Earnest Sewn Fulton (slim straight leg); I just wish it came in heavier denim.

My opinion is that higher rise jeans work better for short-legged people like myself as it makes the legs look less stubby. Also, to maintain the long vertical lines as mentioned above, I think it helps to wear stiff denim and hem your jeans like your dress pants (no stacking).

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riotshield
I'm 5' 8" with a 29" inseam. After trying different kinds of jeans, I think straight leg or a slight bootcut work best for me, and tapered and skinny/stovepipe cuts are definitely out for me. A cut I really like is the Earnest Sewn Fulton (slim straight leg); I just wish it came in heavier denim.

My opinion is that higher rise jeans work better for short-legged people like myself as it makes the legs look less stubby. Also, to maintain the long vertical lines as mentioned above, I think it helps to wear stiff denim and hem your jeans like your dress pants (no stacking).

I agree. I don't know why you wear a very low rise as a short person unless you want your legs to look even shorter.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meanpeoplesuck
Hey guys,

will help to avoid having loads of material sagging down between my legs.

John

A lower rise helps keep "balance" with shorter legs. Imagine a 15" rise with a 28" inseam.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'7 too, and I wear low rise jeans, with a straight leg or a small bootcut. The key to me is a cut which is close to the thigh: not skinny, but close fit. I have a 31" inseam which might help too.

!luc

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I agree. I don't know why you wear a very low rise as a short person unless you want your legs to look even shorter.

???

A standard rise on a short guy does one of two things:

(a) drops the crotch which actually makes the inseam shorter (giving you the appearance of stubby legs and a poor fit through the seat)

or

(b) causes you to wear your pants too high resulting in the AARP look (and probably throws of the proportions of the pants).

meanpeoplesuck

Reaction score
I appreciate all the helpful replies, and I think I will keep my eyes peeled for some nice low-rise straight or slightly boot cut jeans.

I have a feeling any other questions I might have could be better suited to the streetwear forum, so thanks again and hopefully I'll be back here again soon
smile.gif

Seluv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meanpeoplesuck
I currently only have straight legged jeans which are doing me fine, but I wondered if a different cut might be better.

Advice from another 5'8" in height. Surprised so many have mentioned "boot cut" as I think even a "slight" boot cut means gobs of extra material around your feet. My preference is for a tapered style (example would be Levi's 550 in 30" inseam which is nearly perfect fit for me), or otherwise the straight legged jeans you said you have been wearing.

Other ideas and suggestions.
Work with color coordination. Monochrome dressing (blue shirt and blue jeans) helps you look taller, but gets old. Try to pick out clothing in colors, which if not in the same hue (blue and purple) are ones that logically blend together (i.e., blue + yellow = green, orange + blue = brown, etc.). Shirts with complete column of buttons down front elongate body better than pull-over kind. Belts visually cut you in half, so for dress trousers select one in same color (tan with tan, brown on brown, and black for black, gray, and navy blue) making it inconspicuous, and with jeans do whatever you like (no suggestion, I don't like the clunky kind for jeans, found being short and thin
eliminates need to wear belt around blue jeans altogether, and so always opt to go with "no belt"). Finally, shoes get some sturdy hiking boots, chucks, or something similar, wear them when feasible (i.e., probably not in summertime, but definitely through winter time snow) and enjoy on those days the extra height they add to your stature.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads