• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothing styles are there?

pipe

Reaction score
Hi!

I have very little knowledge about fashion and am trying to learn about it. What I want to start with is figuring out what style to go. The problem is, I know very little about different styles. If I see a person on the street I probably can't tell what clothing style they are wearing, I pretty much just see weird and/or normal clothing styles.

I would appreciate very much if someone could introduce to me all these different clothing styles or give me a link. (I have searched the web with little results)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. why don't you search around here? You will find tons of results. Just pull up old threads. Or go to the stickied pages for what are you wearing today threads in both men's clothing and street wear.

pipe

Reaction score
Thanks.

I have searched this forum but I haven't found what I am looking for. I want the names of different styles so I can research what they mean and then choose a style and stick with it.

starcrash

Reaction score
Try Juggalo style. Or is that just considered "weird"?

pipe

Reaction score
Haha, I checked it out. Yes, it is too weird and I don't think the ladies will like it. :p

danz24

Reaction score
black tie, business casual, informal etc.. is that what you mean?

ChriO

Reaction score
Sorry pipe, there is no cookie cutter approach to style. Because of different personal proportions, colouring, posture and attitude it is not even possible to copy an outfit 1:1 and achieve exactly the same result. - Just look at people in uniform and compare the overall impression that these people make on you on an individual basis.

Look at pictures, try to identify what elements of the person's clothing you like, what elements are mainly responsible for the overall look that you like. Get those key elements out of your closet or go shopping and try to find out if those items (colour schemes, fit) work for you, if you are able to wear them and convey a favourable overall impression.
Look at well dressed people who are wearing things that you don't like and try to answer for yourself why they look good despite of wearing things that you don't like. What makes those outfits work for them?

Try to get objective and knowledgeable feedback on your attempts and develop your own style. It is not possible for most people to decide "I want to look like person x" and to just achieve that, if they don't have a lot of experience in this matter and a well trained eye for the subtle details that make up the look.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I think you should go for Trad. It's a fairly bounded style and the fact that it doesn't change much will give you the chance to apply anything you learn about it to your actual wardrobe without having to worry about it being dated or having to make actual personal aesthetic judgments when new things appear. Try Ask Andy's Trad Forum. There's even a nice thread called Trad 101 that will give you lists of things that are and aren't trad.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The consultation form names some styles, but there's no finite list of styles. If you know of a celebrity who dresses in a way you'd like to emulate (not that that's a great idea), maybe the community can tell you which style his look approximates.

kryn13

Reaction score
Tough one. I don't think there are agreed upon standards for 'style'. For dress clothing I see the distinctions being "American", "English" and "Italian". Then there is the 'classic' or 'modern' takes on those.

Ultimately the goal isn't to 'find a style and stick to it' but to develop your own...which is likely to change over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads