• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What causes french cuffs to do this? Are these made right?

GoClick

Reaction score
I got a new shirt today, and I've only had one french cuff before and it didn't look like this (french cuffs aren't popular here.) So I really don't know.

I don't like how the outer layer doesn't cover the under layer, it looks like it's pulled apart and messy, not the crisp edge I was hoping for. Why does it do this? The cuff is a bit snug but I don't know as that I'd say it's too tight feeling, but maybe is that why it's not straight?

Here is the cuff inside

Also, why is it wrinkly? The under side of the collar is also wrinkly, as on many of my shirts, why?

B|aze

Reaction score
Looks like you have been folding it wrong. If the topside goes futher in, the bottom will allign
Have you ironed it before?

Last edited:

GoClick

Reaction score
Never been ironed. One side came ironed the other did not (folded to show the cuff) both sides however pull open a bit.

tgt465

Reaction score
Why are you assuming the manufacturer ironed it correctly? Iron it yourself to fix the problem.

GoClick

Reaction score
Well it wa ironed flat in a rectangle shape. Am I supposed to iron it into another shape?

tgt465

Reaction score
See B|aze's comment. Fold to align the edges, then iron a crease that will keep those edges aligned.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The wrinkles in the cuff and collar are from the innerlining shrinking. Very difficult to correct. Lots of steam and pulling.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Folded or unfolded? You should always iron a French cuff unfolded, no crease should be ironed in, then only fold it when putting it on.

I've always ironed the cuff unfolded and then ironed it into the folded shape I wanted. Personal preference here, I think.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[
/quote]

I've always ironed the cuff unfolded and then ironed it into the folded shape I wanted. Personal preference here, I think.

^ not this

Folded or unfolded? You should always iron a French cuff unfolded, no crease should be ironed in, then only fold it when putting it on.[/quote]

^this

Last edited:

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I don't understand the problem. If you want crispness, buy a fused barrel cuff. That's not what french cuffs are about. You iron them flat and then fold them back upon wearing. You wouldn't want your lapels or tie ironed flat, so why your cuffs? Re your specific problem, I'd try washing and ironing it once and then see if it still does that. You may simply need more practice holding the cuff in place while inserting cufflinks. I find that it's easy for the top of the cuff to become misaligned, as illustrated. But it's not the end of the world, surely you can just tug a bit?

GoClick

Reaction score
One cuff was ironed creased one was ironed flat an open. The one you see was ironed open.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads