1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What causes french cuffs to do this? Are these made right?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GoClick, Nov 21, 2011.

1. GoClick

GoClick Active Member

I got a new shirt today, and I've only had one french cuff before and it didn't look like this (french cuffs aren't popular here.) So I really don't know.

[​IMG]

I don't like how the outer layer doesn't cover the under layer, it looks like it's pulled apart and messy, not the crisp edge I was hoping for. Why does it do this? The cuff is a bit snug but I don't know as that I'd say it's too tight feeling, but maybe is that why it's not straight?

Here is the cuff inside
    [​IMG]

Also, why is it wrinkly? The under side of the collar is also wrinkly, as on many of my shirts, why?

2. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

Looks like you have been folding it wrong. If the topside goes futher in, the bottom will allign
    Have you ironed it before?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

methinks you're ironing it wrong

4. GoClick

GoClick Active Member

Never been ironed. One side came ironed the other did not (folded to show the cuff) both sides however pull open a bit.

5. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

Why are you assuming the manufacturer ironed it correctly? Iron it yourself to fix the problem.

6. GoClick

GoClick Active Member

Well it wa ironed flat in a rectangle shape. Am I supposed to iron it into another shape?

7. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

See B|aze's comment. Fold to align the edges, then iron a crease that will keep those edges aligned.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Folded or unfolded? You should always iron a French cuff unfolded, no crease should be ironed in, then only fold it when putting it on.

9. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

The wrinkles in the cuff and collar are from the innerlining shrinking. Very difficult to correct. Lots of steam and pulling.

1 person likes this.
  10. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

I've always ironed the cuff unfolded and then ironed it into the folded shape I wanted. Personal preference here, I think.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ not this

Folded or unfolded? You should always iron a French cuff unfolded, no crease should be ironed in, then only fold it when putting it on.[/quote]

^this

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

13. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

I don't understand the problem. If you want crispness, buy a fused barrel cuff. That's not what french cuffs are about. You iron them flat and then fold them back upon wearing. You wouldn't want your lapels or tie ironed flat, so why your cuffs? Re your specific problem, I'd try washing and ironing it once and then see if it still does that. You may simply need more practice holding the cuff in place while inserting cufflinks. I find that it's easy for the top of the cuff to become misaligned, as illustrated. But it's not the end of the world, surely you can just tug a bit?

14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Sleeve looks too short.

Don't iron a crease in your cuffs, iron flat as stated above.

15. GoClick

GoClick Active Member

One cuff was ironed creased one was ironed flat an open. The one you see was ironed open.

16. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

This thread is getting silly....

17. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  18. GoClick

GoClick Active Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I actually took it back to the shirt maker; it turns out it wasn't made right. They've made me a new one.