• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your opinions of Jos A Bank?

cpadude

Reaction score
I've somehow been placed on their mailing list and am wondering if a visit to their store is in order. They seem to be like Brooks Brothers, which I was at once time (pre-SF) infatuated with, but post-SF view as well-branded stuffyware. Are your opinions of Jos A Bank similar?

Also, are their suit shoulders heavily built up or more soft?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JAB is what it is which ain't much. Go to Nordstroms and get some Canali on sale
:

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JosABank is the kind of place you can send a non-sartorially inclined friend to go get a business suit and he wont end up looking like a game show host.

Beware of sales, no matter how much it's on sale, it will probably be on sale for more within a few months. Perpetual sales.

I think you can get a suit and an extra pair of trousers for $200 sometimes, which isn't bad. Suits are pretty well padded.

Select stores have higher end suits, trying to move upscale.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpadude
I've somehow been placed on their mailing list and am wondering if a visit to their store is in order. They seem to be like Brooks Brothers, which I was at once time (pre-SF) infatuated with, but post-SF view as well-branded stuffyware. Are your opinions of Jos A Bank similar?

Is this really the view of BB around here?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their signature gold suits at discount are a great value. They are half canvassed and can be found for $250 - $450.

NOLA1

Reaction score
The only thing that I have ever purchased from them is the signature gold pants and they are great (I got them on sale for $40 in the clearance section of their website; they retail for $200 but I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever pay retail at Jos A Bank). That being said, I would never buy a suit from them unless it was their top of the line on sale for about $200.

bslo

Reaction score
I'm sure some of their offerings are good values when obtained at severe discounts, and that they are suitable for 99% of the male population. I don't think that many long-term Styleforum members would be interested in a wardrobe full of Jos A Bank, though. What's the point of being a clothes hobbyist if you buy Jos A Bank (which is just a couple steps up from Men's Warehouse in my opinion)?

TomW

Reaction score
I picked up a few cashmere sweaters last year at $69 that are an excellent value. I wouldn't pay much more than that though

awcollin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
JAB is what it is which ain't much. Go to Nordstroms and get some Canali on sale
:

+1. Got a good deal on a Canali there last week.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
JAB doesn't have any sportscoats smaller than 38, and their 38's are attrocious.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I had a couple of JAB suits I picked up at a thrift shop for about $6 a piece years ago when I only wore a suit once in a blue moon and needed one or two on hand for contingencies. They were not very comfortable and obviously not very well made, and were very nearly unbearable to wear once I started wearing a suit every day.

The only person to be a stalwart fan of JAB was Kaspar the Friendly Troll in all his various incarnations.

jdldore

Reaction score
I got two SG suits on sale a few years ago for $200 or so each, which I thought was a pretty good deal at the time. They lack a bit of shape for my tastes, though.

I wear them occasionally, especially on days I know I don't have any client meetings and they work well for that.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JAB is where you send a firend who is not sartorially obsessed and on a budget to save them from falling into the death pit that is Men's Wearhouse.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
I think that many of the people who criticize Jos. A. Bank have not actually been in their stores or tried on the garments sold there; but they are rather reacting to things they have heard from friends or co-workers who may not think it is cool to shop at such a conservative minded place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads