• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your cheap must-do's when you go to New York?

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I stayed at that hostel when I first moved to NYC. It was a cheap place to stay while I was apartment hunting.

Cheap places in the neighborhood I like are the Hungarian Pastry shop (Amsterdam between 110th and 111th) and Saji's (256 W 109th St, New York 10025, btwn Broadway & Amsterdam Ave).

I should add that Saji's is best for their Katsu, mackerel and donburi. They serve sushi, but I've never dared to try it.

Hungarian is where Jack Kerouac used to go to chill so it has a lot of history like that.

Go to 109 Deli on Amsterdam and get a spicy special. The spicy special is the drunkfood of choice at columbia, absolutely epic. Roll, cajun turkey, pepperjack, mayo, lettuce, tomato, all toasted but it's epic and $4. For $7 you've got a sandwich and a 40.

Also, at the 96th street supertacos truck: carnitas, the chicken is pretty good but not the best, barbacoa if they have it, carne asada, lengua (tongue), anything and everything is good. They're the small double corn tortilla types with some onions and a wedge of lime for $1.50 or whatever.

Absolutely go visit St. John the Divine.

Also, around 108 or 107 is Taqueria. They have massive burritos that are huge. Some people say they don't flavor it enough but that's because Chipotle is a flavor-engineered bomb. They have the most perfectly done chicken, in my opinion.

Get your ass to chicken and rice at 53rd and 6th if you haven't already.

And go get the ramen that was mentioned earlier.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys are courageous.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Some of you guys are courageous.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
wink.gif
At dubious places I only eat hot food cooked on demand. Nothing raw, iced or premade.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
wink.gif

At dubious places I only eat hot food cooked on demand. Nothing raw, iced or premade.

All greasy Chinese food is cooked at so high a temp that even Bubonic Plague could not survive.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been pretty underwhelmed by the shopping in NY actually, hit most of the SF staples, maybe sticking to BST is the way to go

went to cafe habana today for the cuban sandwich, ******* good, only finished half, the rest will be dinner. also picked up a couple mini cheesecakes from eileen's for dessert tonight. was thinking about fighting through the line for free MoMA but not sure if i'm up for the footwork

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feenial
for the more courageous go to wo hop on mott st in chinatown. every new yorker has their favorite mott st chinese place, that's one of the more popular ones.

and pizza at grimaldi's if you're in brooklyn.

do NOT do grinaldi's!! it's an overrated tourist location. of you are in bklyn and want some quality brick oven pizza, walk a few blocks from grimaldi's onto court street and find sam's steak/chops/pizza. old school italian spot with MUCH better pizza w/o the half hour wait!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feenial
for the more courageous go to wo hop on mott st in chinatown. every new yorker has their favorite mott st chinese place, that's one of the more popular ones.

and pizza at grimaldi's if you're in brooklyn.

I don't get the hype for Wo Hop. The food is terrible. I imagine for some it is really more of an adventure to be bowels of Chinatown than for the food. There are better places in chinatown.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to flushing for Chinese food today, now that's a Chinatown

soup dumplings (xiao long bao) at Nan Xiang, Lamb Noodle at the Lamb Noodle Shop in Golden Mall (upstairs not basement) and finally chicken & gyro on rice from 53rd cart for dinner, epic food day

juuceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
do NOT do grinaldi's!! it's an overrated tourist location. of you are in bklyn and want some quality brick oven pizza, walk a few blocks from grimaldi's onto court street and find sam's steak/chops/pizza. old school italian spot with MUCH better pizza w/o the half hour wait!

does Sam's have a brick oven? regardless, they've been my go to for the last year or so since I gave up on dealing with Lucali's crowds..

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juuceman
does Sam's have a brick oven? regardless, they've been my go to for the last year or so since I gave up on dealing with Lucali's crowds..

don't know it's a brick oven....but they do quality pizza and a killer steak in that oven of theirs!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the hype for Wo Hop. The food is terrible. I imagine for some it is really more of an adventure to be bowels of Chinatown than for the food. There are better places in chinatown.

Agreed. Like Hard Rock Cafe, Wo Hop is better-known for t-shirts than food.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics