• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best French-language blogger and I think a contender for best overall blogger, the Chouan des Villes, went quiet a while back. 3 days ago he emerged from silence with a new book which naturally I had to purchase.

The first 5th of it is really rather excellent and I recommend it to French speakers, particularly if you liked the blog. As usual it is a mix of literature (Balzac, Baudelaire, the usual suspects), politics (monarchist - but you knew this from the name) and philosophy (a Brummelian understated dandyism) as well as observations on classic menswear with a European bend. One does not have to agree with the author to enjoy his writing.

@Chouan I do not know why a former Royal Marine Commando would pick that username but presumably this may be of interest.

edit - as an update I am disappointed at the amount of material that is recycled from the blog (such as the encounter with the shirtless poet). I even suspect most of the book is a barely edited, ordered version of the blog, without most of the photos. I can understand why he'd do this - freezing the material in time, whilst the blog will eventually die - but after a years-long silence, it is still a bit of a downer.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sister is moving to France and so I thought I'd buy her the following as a birthday/sendoff (same weekend) gift:

9781681775159_custom-eff560057a99b6f9fc6429c9315cd5ee0dae28b0-s400-c85.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve Erickson's Zeroville, a fascinating and weird novel about Hollywood, cinema and punk, amongst other things. I was recommended to read Erickson by a friend, and I need to read more of him now.

EricBlackmann

Reaction score
Just started Proust's In Search of Lost Time. I want to complete it this summer, but given its length I might skip some of the volumes. But, I am enjoying it so far. I've been reading a lot concerning memory and nostalgia.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice. Are you reading the Lydia Davis translation? I’d only read the older, popular version of Swann’s Way (still pretty good, but a bit stilted and Anglo, IIRC), but got much farther into the series with the updated version. Probably the best story in the universe.

EricBlackmann

Reaction score
Nice. Are you reading the Lydia Davis translation? I’d only read the older, popular version of Swann’s Way (still pretty good, but a bit stilted and Anglo, IIRC), but got much farther into the series with the updated version. Probably the best story in the universe.

I'm reading the translation by Moncrieff & Kilmartin and revised by Enright. If I'm honest, I haven't put a great deal of thought into the translation, this was just the first copy of Swann's Way that came up when I searched for a pdf.
Do you think I would irrevocably harm my reading of the book if I skipped or read the summary of a few of the volumes? Im usually not one to do so, but I have other texts I would like to get to.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, I’m not really sure, as I’ve only read the first three. I’d guess the experience has little to do with the actual plot; you’d be missing out on some great writing for sure. If you were to skip volumes, I’d at least try to google a list of the most compelling passages and read those along with the summaries, so you wouldn’t be missing out...

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings
Really enjoying it so far, but I just hate that I'm once again starting another epic fantasy series where I have no idea when the next book is going to come out.

I thought it was a trilogy. I read the first one then waited to read the second and now that I have book 3, I will reread the first and finish the series. Except I just read the Wikipedia insert on this series and it is a planned 10 book series, but really 2 5 book series with the second series a sequel.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RadicalChic.jpg

Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers By Tom Wolfe

After Tom Wolfe's death, I planned to go back and read his works. I think I have The Bonfire of the Vanities around

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads