• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the most common/ acceptable/recognizable ties out there?

lynch_king

Reaction score
i am new to suits and all i have is a cheap one. im a student looking for work right now so I just bought a HAGGAR one, its no zegna or aramani prive' but im hoping its enough.

if not i'll throw it away and wear one of my many lucky 13 cartoon image of a betty/**** hanging out on a martini glass graphic t-shirt and levis to an interview if its better than a cheap suit. (i used to be a mechanic, then was a metal fabricator i have TONS of those shirts)

im a 21 year old guy, so nothing too old/crazy looking. on another forum they told me to buy these since these brands/designers are known for this type of stuff and it is subtle enough to be acceptable for an interview.

-Burberry tartan design tie
-Calvin Klein Skinny Tie in solid black (i already bought this one)
-Ralph Lauren polo in navy or red, (i already bought the red one)

im thinking about getting a few more, that are easily recognized and are common. if that makes any sense.

pretty much asking if any designers have a signiture tie, like calvin klein's skinny solid black one.

This is a picture i found that describes exactly what im looking for, but i want more added to it

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Welcome to StyleForvm. I have no answers to your questions, but many do and they will be by shortly.

- B

Petko

Reaction score
Hermes has silk twill ties that are, well, unmistakeably Hermes.

hermes_rabbits_dogs_tie.jpg

However, if this just for an interview, I would focus more on the overall picture (ie. fit) than just one "signature" accessory.

doctorbob

Reaction score
Since you are working with just one suit, you should try to match that (along with a shirt that matches). Getting a tie that stands out as recognizable may just draw attention to your tie, throwing your total look off balance. For an interview situation, a solid color tie can be an accent that subtly makes a great look. I remember years ago in my first job (a PR firm) I got the most compliments on a simple solid burgundy tie from Brooks Brothers. The tie could have come from anywhere, but looked great on top of a white shirt.

I don't know the reason you might want recognizable ties, but keep in mind that certain crowds will recognize certain ties. For example, the same crowd that might easily recognize a skinny tie and who makes it might not immediately recognize a Hermes tie as such, and vice versa. I don't fully understand the context, but in my mind it does not seem like a good criterion for choosing a tie. And one more thing -- skip the Burberry tartan design (on anything), unless you are going to work in a Burberry boutique.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
im a 21 year old guy, so nothing too old/crazy looking. on another forum they told me to buy these since these brands/designers are known for this type of stuff and it is subtle enough to be acceptable for an interview. -Burberry tartan design tie -Calvin Klein Skinny Tie in solid black (i already bought this one) -Ralph Lauren polo in navy or red, (i already bought the red one)
None of these are suitable for an interview, the Burberry and RL are too recognisable and 'brand-whorish', and the CK is way too skinny. The best tie for an interview would probably a navy with white pin-dots, or one that is blue or red with a simple geometric pattern and no brand logos. For example, this slim (not 'skinny') navy pin-dot from Brooks Brothers.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doctorbob
Since you are working with just one suit, you should try to match that (along with a shirt that matches). Getting a tie that stands out as recognizable may just draw attention to your tie, throwing your total look off balance. For an interview situation, a solid color tie can be an accent that subtly makes a great look. I remember years ago in my first job (a PR firm) I got the most compliments on a simple solid burgundy tie from Brooks Brothers. The tie could have come from anywhere, but looked great on top of a white shirt.

I don't know the reason you might want recognizable ties, but keep in mind that certain crowds will recognize certain ties. For example, the same crowd that might easily recognize a skinny tie and who makes it might not immediately recognize a Hermes tie as such, and vice versa. I don't fully understand the context, but in my mind it does not seem like a good criterion for choosing a tie. And one more thing -- skip the Burberry tartan design (on anything), unless you are going to work in a Burberry boutique.

i have a normal solid black tie too, i guess i could wear that, solid black suit, solid black tie white shirt.

Originally Posted by Petko
Hermes has silk twill ties that are, well, unmistakeably Hermes.

hermes_rabbits_dogs_tie.jpg

However, if this just for an interview, I would focus more on the overall picture (ie. fit) than just one "signature" accessory.

awesome thanks, i would like more posts like thiis.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are wearing a black suit your best option is a black tie.
Black suits aren't that popular around here though.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
If you are wearing a black suit your best option is a black tie. Black suits aren't that popular around here though.
Location: Southern California, im from the same place, temecula. why do you say that. noone i know has ever worn a suit, its populated by So*Cal shirts, metal mulisha shirts. ed hardy shirts and affliction shirts so no advice from anyone around me. so i appreciate all and any advice. also lurking around here i found out that i should probably buy better shirts. the ones i have are ralph lauren blue label, DKNY, BCBG, kenneth cole and Calvin klein dress shirts. i should probably donate those to the goodwill and grab H&M and old navy right?

bjan

Reaction score
Maybe not an interview tie, but the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Triple Guard Stripe Tie that Jennifer Aniston sported could be recognizable. Tough to find for a good price. (If anyone knows of where to get one on discount, let me know)

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjan
Maybe not an interview tie, but the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Triple Guard Stripe Tie that Jennifer Aniston sported could be recognizable. Tough to find for a good price. (If anyone knows of where to get one on discount, let me know)

cover of gq ?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My answer would be of no help as I prefer that my tie only be acceptable (to me, that it) ... but neither common nor recognizable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads