• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about this leather blazer?

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a few leather jackets, bomber style and a few bikers style. I do love them, but I don't own a Blazer.

What is the general style opinion on leather blazers, is it akin to trench coats which essentially only look good in movies/anime, or do they look good when paired with a good shirt/t-shirt?

This is the one I'm thinking of buying. it looks good on the seller, so should look good on me, I think.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-gent...d=p3286.c0.m14

Hard to tell isn't it really?

Kevin.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

I'd start with a (navy, probably) blazer in a lightweight wool.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most guys on SF classify Leather Blazers in the "Things I Hate" department.

I think that they can look good if they fit well and you wear them right. Most guys wear ones that are too big. They need to be mixed with the right apparel otherwise you end up looking like some tool, who is trying too hard to look like a tough guy.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
lurker[1].gif

I'd start with a (navy, probably) blazer in a lightweight wool.

I agree. You will get more use from this than almost anything else.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
See I thought there might be a love/hate thing going on with blazers of the leather fashion. Its the look that I love though. I see guys wearing blazers (not neccesarily leather" with a t-shirt and wonder how I could emulate that. I like wearing a casual suit jacket out at night, but would like something for daily life. Wool may be a better choice.

What started this was actually (don't hate me for this) Will Smith in I, Robot. I figure he pulled off the 3/4 length leather jacket really well, I just think it might be hard to do.

What kind of leather jacket would be recommended? (Other than bombers and bikers, of course)

rogerm

Reaction score
I think they can look good, but they are hard to pull off. I use to have a leather blazer, but it was impossible not to look like a tool in it, and or trying not to look Guido in one too. I ditched my leather blazer and got a leather bomber - that will never go out of style.

-R

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Looks like Russian Gangster style to me.

Now a nicely tailored brown suede blazer, that's a horse of a different stripe.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Looks like Russian Gangster style to me.

Couldn't have said it better. This is exactly what I think of.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Kevin,

Please don't do this

or this

Thanks,

Big style no-no then? What do you do if you just want to wear a t-shirt then? I always thought a casual blazer looked good when you get it right.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of leather blazers. I also don't like t-shirts with blazers.

samurai

Reaction score
Sorry guys, have to disagree. I own two leather blazers, one a Remy lightweight tan suede, casual looking. I've had it for about 8 years, wear it all the time and it just gets better with wear.
Last year I bought a dark brown like the one pictured, and it was a bit generous so I took it to my great tailor, and they made it perfect.
Nobody has told me I look like a Russian gangster, because I just do not look like a Russian gangster in anything I wear. I'd have to gain 50 lbs. of muscle and paunch and get my face punched in a few times, which I don't intend to happen, please God. Cheers, Larry.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does look Russian mobster. If that's the look you want to go for, that's fine - but you still have that look going on. Besides that:

Vincent Mancini: Hey, how you doin' Mr. Corleone.
Michael Corleone: How you doing.
Vincent Mancini: I'm doin' good. How you doin'?
Michael Corleone: Good.
Vincent Mancini: Nice party.
Michael Corleone: Oh, you like it?
Vincent Mancini: Yeah, I had to sneak in.
Michael Corleone: Well, you dressed for it. What's the trouble between you and Mr. Joe Zasa?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads