• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went to century 21 today

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A couple of comments - Boss has lots of different models and they all fit differently. Also, Marzotto has factories all over the place but the quality is pretty much the same no matter where it is made. Although I have seen some substandard stuff in outlets that was made in Romania I think.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A. Harris, you seem to be a fan of Boss, or at least not a basher. Would you call it a respectable, if unspectacular suit? I just really can't buy a $1000 black suit for my wedding -- the bride would KILL me (she'll monitor my wedding purchase much more closely than my business suit purchases). But I want to look good, you know. It's tough to tell in a mirror. The fabric seems good, if not great. The lapels certainly don't roll like the Canali I bought my Dad (see my other post tonight), but they seem adequate (I wish they were pad stitched though).

Between the Paul smith advertised on the Neiman Marcus sight (retail $995, I'm hoping I can get it for $600 or lower next weekend at the NM sale) or the Boss for $385, which one is the better value? (I realize they will fit totally differently -- I'm not sure if the PS will be too "trendy" for me).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've only had one Boss suit (that I wore,) mostly because cut of their jackets generally doesn't agree with me. They do one model that I like - the Mars/Orbit, albeit you have to buy it in a smaller size (42 reg for me, instead of 44L.) So no, I don't hate Boss. At $385 it's not a bad value and you have tried it on and seem to like the fit. Ordinarily I might counsel you to hold out for something canvased, but since this is your wedding you probably don't have all the time in the world.

Between the Boss and the Paul Smith, I'd go for the one that fits better. The quality is about the same.

About the lapel roll - for the big day, flip the lapels over and iron the back side flat (get rid of the crease,) but make sure to use a handkerchief so that you don't scorch the fabric. That will give you a nice roll to the lapel. It won't hold the roll like a canvased suit, but it will look much better for your wedding.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A. Harris, I'm up shining my shoe the way you told me (my friends are out of town for the weekend, so I'm spending my Friday night polishing my shoes -- it's actually fun.).

I am going to hold out for something canvassed, but its so hard to find a black canvas suit that fits me well -- I found a Baldessarini in my size, but just didn't like the fit. I have about three months till the big day, so I'm perpetually buying and returning, on a steady move up in terms of fit and quality (and hopefully not price). God knows where I'll end. I am willing to sacrifice quality for fit, obviously, because pictures really hide poor construction quality well.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a good idea.. Hold onto the suit you have until you find a better one, that way if you don't have one you still have something to wear.. Good thinking.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am willing to sacrifice quality for fit, obviously, because pictures really hide poor construction quality well.
Good thinking as well. As has been said here many times, a completely handmade Super 200's suit is worthless to you if the cut is not flattering. That is unless you are an ebay seller
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads