• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight Gain Help

Inficius

Reaction score
Well, I usually go with a peanut butter sandwich and two apples, but I understand what you mean. Are there any specific vegetables that are better than the others? I believe potatoes have a lot of vitamins so maybe that's one.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can eat two apples after a peanut butter jelly sandwich, you are way beyond me and I can't possibly give you any advice on weight gain or eating more heheh

Kale is a great, leafy veg. Tastes rather strong, but I love making salads with it. Kale, one can drained tuna, and some Italian dressing yum.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
ditto on the kale. in terms of how healthy it is for you, its up past broccoli and spinach.

i usually take 1 bunch of kale, 1 jalapeno, half a red onion, 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, and the juice of 2 limes, salt and pepper -- chop it all up and toss it in a large bowl. it keeps for a week. you can play around with throwing red cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms etc in.

also try black beans. i also make a salad of it with a can of black beans rinsed, red onion, 2 tomato, an avocado and apple cidar vinegar.

both option are both less than $5 to make and lasts a week for me.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steezin

I usually eat 4-5 small meals, brown rice, ham, chicken, baked beans being the most consistently consumed.

Are you honestly trying to gain weight or is this thread some kind of thinly-veiled brag about how youre a slim guy with a faster-than-average metabolism? I see these kind of theads across various forums I frequent, and the conversations that follow baffle me.

People in here are talking about vegetables and chicken breast. You, who is trying to gain weight, are talking about 5 small meals per day!

This is not the path to weight gain or big strength increases.

Let me lay it out for you.

An average day out to look like this:

Breakfast: 6-8 eggs. 6-8 pieces of bacon. Toast w/ peanut butter. 2 glasses of whole milk.

Lunch: 3-4 bugerking/mcdonalds double cheeseburgers. Large Milkshake.

Dinner: Entire container of Kraft Mac&Cheese. 12-16 oz steak. Broccoli. 2 glasses whole milk.

Bedtime Snack: Entire 14 inch frozen pizza.

Before I get flamed, this is not the diet you're on for the rest of your life, or even longer than a few months. Eat like this while you're trying to get stronger, and after you get there, worry about the 'clean eating' nonsense. Eating like a fiend for a short period, then dieting afterwards to cut the fat is so much more efficient than half-assing it with 2500 cals a day for a long period of time.

Sorry if this is an offensive post, but the idea difficulty putting on weight is such nonsense. If 3500

gram thorpe

Reaction score
To gain weight, you should eat 2 bananas with one glass of milk daily early in the morning. It will work. I have tried it.
boxing[1].gif

Inficius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Are you honestly trying to gain weight or is this thread some kind of thinly-veiled brag about how youre a slim guy with a faster-than-average metabolism? I see these kind of theads across various forums I frequent, and the conversations that follow baffle me.

People in here are talking about vegetables and chicken breast. You, who is trying to gain weight, are talking about 5 small meals per day!

Breakfast: 6-8 eggs. 6-8 pieces of bacon. Toast w/ peanut butter. 2 glasses of whole milk.

Dinner: Entire container of Kraft Mac&Cheese. 12-16 oz steak. Broccoli. 2 glasses whole milk.

Before I get flamed, this is not the diet you're on for the rest of your life, or even longer than a few months. Eat like this while you're trying to get stronger, and after you get there, worry about the 'clean eating' nonsense. Eating like a fiend for a short period, then dieting afterwards to cut the fat is so much more efficient than half-assing it with 2500 cals a day for a long period of time.

Sorry if this is an offensive post, but the idea difficulty putting on weight is such nonsense. If 3500

I know what you mean, but it's easier said than done. First because most of us aren't used to eating that much food, and then you have to consider the cost.

On the bright side, I think I drank about a gallon of milk yesterday. I had three glasses in the morning, four after class, and then three more an hour before bed. When I measured the amount my glass could hold, it came out to 2 cups. However, realistically, I only filled it about 3/4 each drink.

So, ten glasses, each 1.5 cups = 15 cups. If one gallon = 16 cups, then you can see that I was just under the mark.

By the way, this is coming from someone who hasn't drank milk in years. It was just a few nights ago that I pushed myself to have three cups. I went to bed feeling sick, but then did the same the next morning, then that night, and so on, eventually adding some throughout the day. Is this the healthy way to do it? Haha, probably not. But so far my body is handling it pretty well but I still have to wait a few weeks before I can determine if any physical changes are taking place.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried the gallon of milk a day...noway. ****** punished me the next morning.

And no bragging, it really is hard to eat that much for those of us who are very underweight. Hell, Pennglock, I'm getting full just reading that list of **** to eat.

6-8 eggs in the morning? Impossible! I've tried those bodybuilding bulking diets, and I always get stomped out at breakfast. If I do manage to finish one of those Gulliver breakfasts, I'm full and bloated for the entire day.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make a lot of sense to go from 0-4 cups of milk a day to a full gallon. You need to work up to that stuff.

Eating more is exactly like adding pounds to the bar. A tiny bit more each week adds up to huge changes in a year.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steezin
Thanks for the suggestion, however i'm lactose intolerant, not just milk.
I have recently found a soya milk that i actually enjoy the taste of though.

I understand, that's why I recommended it. The lactase that's already in the kefir is all you need to digest it. It's the same solution that the milk they make especially for lactose intolerant uses, only it doesn't taste bad.

Monaco

Reaction score
Why are people suggesting to drink milk? To replace whole meals with such a nutrient devoid liquid like pasteurized milk is like micronutrient suicide. I would suggest to eat whole and natural foods. If you must drink milk, drink whole/raw milk to get your proper vitamins and enzymes. I've actually read about experimental raw milk diets but this leads to weight loss vs. weight gain as proper milk will help raise your core body temp. and thus raising metabolism. Then again, if you want nice and strong bones/teeth, this can help too.

To lose or gain weight, all you have to do is eat foods the way they were intended, not processed and stuffed with hormones, pesticides, chemicals, and additives, you're stressing the body out.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People probably recommend milk as an easy source of calories - a gallon of whole milk packs a lot. As mentioned, some ppl have trouble getting their surplus calories from whole foods (cant't eat etc.) and the macros are also pretty good for gaining.

On another note, the only really succesful "clean bulk" that appears to really work on teh internets was with intermittent fasting, the guy gained very little bodyfat (but gained very little muscle too).

ddeitz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

That is exactly what I ended up doing to actually be able to consume enough food where I could plan to eat 3-4000 clean calories a day and up without having to take half of it in a shake, I did it with 5 meals a day but same idea.

I would suggest having hard boiled eggs made and even pealed in the fridge, so you can just grab a few every time you pass through the kitchen, a bucket of friend chicken also works. Nuts are always a good choice. Sure not everyone can afford mc donalds\\steak ect everyday...but cheap steaks are not THAT expensive. Foods I would look for and ate for months at a time...

Beans\\Tuna\\Chicken\\Rice\\Spaghetti\\Eggs\\Salmon(id load up when it was on sale)\\Cheap cheese\\Bacon\\hamburger\\Peanut butter\\olive oil. Add in greens like broccoli and your good to go.

If your not eating, working out or sleeping you better be **********.

mundieTRAINS

Reaction score
Eating enough is the single hardest thing about working out. Women have it easy, I'm telling you.

I've gained about 30 lbs since starting. I started after seeing Quantum of Solace and thinking "eh why not me too?" (I'm tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, good bone structure, etc).

I had no idea what I was doing at the time and I still maybe don't. But here is my advice:

Start by doing some bodyweight circuit exercises. I would combine Vince DelMonte's Upside Down Training (especially for the stretches) with Craig Ballantine's Turbulence Training.

This way, you're going to gradually increase your appetite as you work complete the training. I'm re-doing the program after gaining weight using the barbell in my apartment so that I can get my body fat down. As for the workout? You don't need a gym membership just a 7ft+ ceiling and some dumbbells/kettlebells/barbell and some compound exercises (check out 'dinosaur training' online).

Other benefits? You have a much better base from which to start hitting the weights, one that has used all the muscles in your body in unison. One thing most people don't realize is that lifting weights, even compound exercises, really emphasizes certain muscle groups over others. Next time you're in the gym, walk up to the biggest, buffest guy there and ask him to do a one-legged pistol squat for you. He'll most likely fall over.

Another thing to consider - real strength isn't correlated to size. Some tiny gymnasts can bench an squat their own bodyweight, no problems.

As far as eating goes : I was the one who recommended drinking a gallon of milk. Whoever says milk is a food devoid of nutrients is an idiot. But yes, you definitely have to work your way up to drinking enough, just like you have to work your way up to eating enough. Try to find a calorie dense food you LOVE and eat it as much as you can/can afford.

My general advice:

- Buy a doorway pull up bar (doubles as a pushup bar and a foot holder for your situps/crunches)

- Buy some kettlebells

- Screw the gym, it's a ripoff honestly - everything they'll tell you and more is available online. Plus trainers have attitude/ego problems that get in the way of science.

- Start with bodyweight exercises to condition your body and cardio system, and to teach all the different parts to work in unison. Going straight into weights oftentimes leads directly to injury.

- Use the kettlebells when your ready, or a barbell or dumbbells - whatever you can snag from Craigslist.

- Focus on lifting hard and heavy doing your compound workouts first, and if you have time/energy or want to do the more 'vanity' workouts like bicep curls do them between your compound days. These are good days to do ab workouts too.

- Sleep 9+ hours a night. Drink a gallon of water a day. Take creatine and use shakes to your advantage (my favorite is powder, blueberries, yogurt, peanut butter, milk and a bit of oatmeal - very calorie dense and gives you what you need). I've heard glutamine is good but I've never used it. Replace all wimpy ingredients with more calorie rich versions. IE - anytime you would eat bread, eat a bagel instead.

- Drink milk while you train. This is much easier when you're just lifting as opposed to doing more cardio workouts. I attribute my willingness to drink at least 3 glasses of milk while lifting to my favorable weight gains. Eat as many eggs as you can, unsalted nuts are good, so are dried fruits. If you can't snack at work, get a different job. Eat chicken drumsticks instead of chicken breasts to save hella money.

- Download the Livestrong App for your iPhone if you have one. Otherwise keep track of everything you put in your body using an online database.

You MUST keep track. Today my goal was 4250 calories and I barely scratched 2300, and I was trying to eat as much as I possibly could. Keep in mind that most 'body building diets' you'll find online are for bodybuilders in the cutting phase, when they're intentionally trying to lose weight.

Its tough to be a skinny dude, but I'm happy with my body now and the compliments I've been getting.

Just don't go overboard - remember: those celebrities that women and men lust after aren't huge hulking bulky masses!

Sorry about the here there and everywhere post but I just took a Melatonin and I'm starting to drift into lala land!

Good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads