• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo help

TyroneTornado

Reaction score
Hi all- I apologize if this is a common question, but i am getting married in the fall and am planning on buying my tuxedo. I’m interested in a “classic” tuxedo that I will be able to wear for the next 20 years provided I’m able to stay thin. You guys know what I’m after... black, peak lapel, side vents, single button, etc.

I’m really struggling with whether I should buy the SuitSupply tuxedo for $600 or whether I should really spring for one in the $1500-1700 range (for example, from Sid Mashburn or Hickey Freeman). Both options are OTR options. I’m curious what others have done in my situation. Obviously the SS is only half canvas while the others are full canvas so that is a consideration to make, but I’m wondering if there are any other items I need to think about. I expect to wear the tuxedo 1-2 times a year after my wedding.

The SS seems to get good reviews online, but it just seems so inexpensive compared to all the others I’ve been looking at I’m concerned I’m missing something.

Also... provided they are shined up nicely and groomsmen are wearing similar or less formal shoes, do you think black cap-toes (specifically AE Park Avenues) are appropriate to wear with a tuxedo and get married in? I kind of like the idea of wearing my black dress shoes that I’ve worn for the past 5 years to many special occasions to my own wedding. I also like the idea of not having to purchase additional shoes :).

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would base the decision on fit, not brand or canvassing. The advantage to full canvas is that the jacket will in time conform to your body. With a tux, you are wearing it so infrequently that it won’t matter that much.

In my current life I buy and wear only bespoke Italian tailored clothes. But I have the same OTR tux (Bill Blass) I bought 28 years ago, which still fits me fine. I would need to be a lot richer or fatter to replace it as it just doesn’t get worn enough to seem worth it.

Regarding shoes, well polished Oxfords are fine. I have a pair of black eel skin shoes from Rosznyai in Budapest that I prefer over patent leather. They are just as shiny but not plastic.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit being equal, I’d go with SuSu. There is a whole thread devoted to black tie in the CM forum, so you’d get more help there. :bigstar:

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ventless is preferred.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads