• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit color?

Redline9k

Reaction score
At this point, i can't stand tuxedos for weddings...its too expected....and you either look like Bond or a butler, with the latter being more common.

I want to do a 3pc 2 button suit, but I am having a hard time narrowing down colors. At this point, I am leaning to grey (charcoal, or med, not sure about light) and debating about stripes. The tie will be a lavender print to match the wedding colors.

The groomsmen are going to be wearing solid color suits, but not sure about black or charcoal. I want to stand apart from them, but still look cohesive.

Any suggestions as to my suit color and/or what the groomsmen should wear?

Thanks

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what else you have going on in your life. If it were me, I'd probably get a solid navy suit, one that could be worn to the office. Make sure the fit was impeccable and accessorize accordingly.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar predicament. Unfortunately, the future wife and I have a limited budget, so we had to improvise.

I bought a slim-fit charcoal grey suit from Lands End for around $160 on sale. The fit is perfect and the it costs around the same for a rental.

We bought ties as gifts for the grooms men from Brooks Brothers. They are brown and orange, to be coordinated with the bridesmaid's dresses. I will be wearing a taupe/ivory striped tie, to match my bride's off-white dress.

At this point, we're having trouble finding a place that will rent charcoal suits. I thought I found one place, but it turns out the charcoal model was discontinued. So, it's back to the drawing board.

Long story short, make sure you can find rentals for your grooms men if you want to get your own suit. That being said, I would say charcoal is a good color for the groomsmen. Just make sure that you suit is detailed perfectly, this will help you stand out from the groomsmen. Also, consider getting a tie that will make you stand out.

Redline9k

Reaction score
Not sure the navy will work since the wedding colors are silver/grey-purple

I want to stick to the greys or black for myself. I have a local place that will rent either black or charcoal suits for the groomsmen, but ill pick that out after I decide on my suit.

At this point, im looking about $2k, so maybe a found isaia or MTM hickey.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call on the tuxedo - quite out of place.

As to colour greys will work but really what suits you best? It is your day so you really don't want to look back and blame a webboard for something that looks naff in twenty years.

Pantherhare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redline9k
Not sure the navy will work since the wedding colors are silver/grey-purple

I want to stick to the greys or black for myself. I have a local place that will rent either black or charcoal suits for the groomsmen, but ill pick that out after I decide on my suit.

At this point, im looking about $2k, so maybe a found isaia or MTM hickey.

Funny, I'm also getting married with similar colors (silver and a deep plum). I'm thinking of going with a navy suit and a light gray waistcoat.

If you're looking to spend $2k, you're probably not real concerned with cutting costs like I am, but if you care, I'd get something other than black, so I could get more utility out of the suit in the future.

And again with the cost-cutting (and since I think most wedding rentals look terrible), I'd just ask my groomsmen to wear their best charcoal suit and buy them all identical ties as groomsmen gifts.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No stripes. No matching bridal parties.

Charcoal or darker, or navy blue should be fine. Keep it simple.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Gray, the shade of which depends on the event: anywhere from lighter, if an outside, daytime wedding, to heavy charcoal, if evening or indoor dimly lighted (e.g., church) wedding. I prefer gray to navy for weddings myself, as I feel like gray matches better with the pearly tones of wedding dresses.

Redline9k

Reaction score
its a dusk wedding, night time reception.

I like the idea of a solid grey, maybe a shade lighter than charcoal, but im still left wondering if a faint rain stripe or pinstripe might look a bit less "office".

and per the comments, just fishing for ideas, not asking you guys to make up my mind for me.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redline9k
I like the idea of a solid grey, maybe a shade lighter than charcoal, but im still left wondering if a faint rain stripe or pinstripe might look a bit less "office".

Folks on here might reply that pinstripe looks more "office" than solid gray, which is more versatile and can range to deadly formal (charcoal, white shirt, black tie) to extremely informal. I'm not so sure, especially if you can find a stripe that doesn't look very business-oriented.

If you have the budget and time, you might also consider mid-gray with a lavender/lilac pinstripe, which is a very common pattern if you look at fabric books. If you're going off-the-rack, then that might be hard to find. Of course, it risks being "matchy," though likely your bride will love the idea, since women tend to be all about matching, and get pretty adament about it at a wedding ("toilet paper in our wedding colors," etc.) Lavender pinstripes in suits tend to be pretty subtle.

Matt S

Reaction score
Avoid stripes for weddings, stripes are for the office. A solid grey in a herringbone weave has more interest than a plain weave and gives the appearance of subtle stripes. It's a classic for formal wear.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo any 'suit' looks like 'office'. I realize that's not the traditional way it was, but in this day and age I think a suit is primarily business wear. if you are going out to dinner after work in your suit, ok.

but on a Saturday night, I would never dream of of putting on a suit AND tie. perhaps a suit without a tie.

ergo for a wedding, a purely festive occasion, I wouldn't choose something that would also be appropriate for business wear. if on a budget I would rather go casual than buy a suit.

I suppose a dark solid navy choose would be my first choice if I needed a suit.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
imo any 'suit' looks like 'office'. I realize that's not the traditional way it was, but in this day and age I think a suit is primarily business wear. if you are going out to dinner after work in your suit, ok.

but on a Saturday night, I would never dream of of putting on a suit AND tie. perhaps a suit without a tie.

ergo for a wedding, a purely festive occasion, I wouldn't choose something that would also be appropriate for business wear. if on a budget I would rather go casual than buy a suit.

I suppose a dark solid navy choose would be my first choice if I needed a suit.

I think the fact that he is going for a three-piece will lend it some distinction...especially if he pairs it with a non-officey tie.

chas

Reaction score
FWIW - I was married recently and below is a picture of my suit. I understand the picture isn't great, I'm mid stride, my cuffs aren't showing and the shirt is a bit bunched up top. That isn't the point.

I am wearing a navy 1-button peak lapel suit with a dove gray double breasted vest and a contrasting matte gray tie.

10119_1136765777330_1172923383_3-2.jpg

LaoHu

Reaction score
You may also want to consult the Wedding Tie thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads