• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit advice fit/style

Haddersta

Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker here. I bought a suit MTM not so long ago that I’m thinking to wear at my wedding this spring. The wedding is in northern europe so we dont wear tuxedos or morning coats. Now I would like some advice, primarily on the fit but any advice that can be helpful is appreciated.

Pictured is me in the suit, a navy twill and the shoes, black austerity brogues (needing polishing). The tie I’ll be wearing is the Kent Wang glen plaid in black/white. https://www.kentwang.com/accessories/ties/glen-plaid.html

You may notice the lapels are on the wider side which is how I like them. The trousers are cut wide as well as a consequence of too many years of squatting. The shirt sleeves are too long and/or the jacket sleeves need to be shortened? There’s also a slight pull in the front suggesting the jacket waist should be let out a bit?

Thanks in advance!
9148A499-FD31-4070-B151-3BCD2A90F23A.jpeg

B4C33D20-DCEA-4D43-81D0-B5AFA2CAEBE9.jpeg

2E5C9B64-FA26-45A3-8D4E-816F221BAB91.jpeg

tamimasa

Reaction score
IMO the jacket is a little tight, but nothing too major. If you can, ask the tailor to fix the collar roll. Also, let out a little bit around the body and the biceps.

Haddersta

Reaction score
IMO the jacket is a little tight, but nothing too major. If you can, ask the tailor to fix the collar roll. Also, let out a little bit around the body and the biceps.
Thanks for the advice, I gained some two kg since having the suit made and I guess it had an impact on the general tightness. Christmas festivities… 🙂

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Outfit looks great and one of the best ones I've seen on this side of the board.

If I could change anything it would be:

- The trousers don't drape very cleanly in the back. You may be able to fix this by having a tailor shorten the back rise and drop the crotch seam. However, it's always best to just bring up the issue to the tailor and see what they recommend.

- The trousers also seem just a smidge short, but it may be where you're wearing them on the waist.

- The sleeve pitch might be a little off, but it may just be the photo. You can see wrinkling at the top of the sleeve.

- There's a bit of tension between your shoulder blades. A tailor should be able to fix this for you.

If you showed up in just that outfit unaltered though, I think you'll probably be the best dressed person at the wedding, and certainly among the better dressers on this board.

schraiber

Reaction score
Agree with everyone that it's overall good, a little bit tight but that should be solvable. I'd also probably see if there's enough material to lengthen the sleeves a slight bit, they're a little bit short for my taste.

Haddersta

Reaction score
Outfit looks great and one of the best ones I've seen on this side of the board.

Thank you for the kind words, they gave me quite the confidence boost! Regarding the sleeve pitch it is something I had never thought of but very obvious when you mention it.

Summarizing all the points made I think I'm going to have to find a tailor around here that I can trust enough to make some of these adjustments, probably prioritizing seeing what he/she could do to fix the trouser drape and slightly lengthening the jacket sleeves and then hoping (praying) the coming lenten season will take care of the tightness in the back/mid section.

the best dressed person at the wedding
Since we are getting married in Poland, I would say your assessment is quite accurate as men at polish weddings are not famous for being overly sartorial, while the women usually dress to kill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads