• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Attire - Your Opinion on (not black) shoes.

oppi

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting married this summer (mid June) and very excited. The wedding involves a ceremony in the early morning (8am) and an outdoor cocktail reception in the early afternoon (6pm), followed by an indoor dinner (8pm).

We are trying to keep the wedding somewhat low key and not overly formal. I will be wearing two separate outfits (morning and evening). I have my morning outfit already sorted out. In the evening I am wearing a bespoke, medium blue (not Navy) mohair suit. I will be wearing a simple and clean white shirt and a tie.

Here's the dilemma. I do not want to wear black shoes in the evening outfit. And yes, I've searched old threads.

I know many of you are going to give me the canned, follow-the-rules advice on semi-formal wedding attire that will involve wearing a navy or charcoal suit and polished black oxfords or balmorals. Blah, blah, blah. F the rules.

So, for those that can think outside the (dated) box ... I'm looking for advice on shoes to wear in the evening, knowing the attitude of the wedding is an easygoing party among close friends rather than a formal, stuffy, typical wedding. I'd like to wear very sharp brown shoes that look classy. I'm a big fan of Scarpe Di Bianco (I like a shoe with a little attitude), but my budget is $500 - $750. I'm partial to italian shoes that are slightly fashion forward (i.e. I am not a fan of most Allen Edmonds shoes).

Any thoughts on a) wearing brown shoes to your wedding and b) suggested shoes I might look at?

Thanks!!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go black. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it.

If not black look for something in very dark oxblood or wine sorts of colors.

Plain old dark brown just isn't special enough for an evening event.

If you could afford these they would be swell. They are styllish, elegant, not 'proper' in any way and a great color.

http://www.bespoke-england.co.uk/products/uppingham-in-vintage-rioja-calf-tg73

You can wear these for many years to come.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We are trying to keep the wedding somewhat low key and not overly formal. . . . So, for those that can think outside the (dated) box ... I'm looking for advice on shoes to wear in the evening, knowing the attitude of the wedding is an easygoing party among close friends rather than a formal, stuffy, typical wedding.

Have you ever been to an actual wedding before? I don't think you are going too have much trouble keeping it from being "overly formal". In fact, unless (and probably even if) you specify a pretty rigorous dress code, you are going to end up with people in cargo shorts and flip flops. If you actually tell them that the wedding reception is "an easygoing party among close friends" . . . well, I think the color of your shoes will be the least of your problems.

Having said that, the people recommending ox blood are right. Especially if you are the groom, brown just won't work. I recommend a pair of calf skin ox blood/dark red "Old London" from Vass, if you can lay your hands on a pair in time. They might be a bit higher than your price range at the moment, I'm not sure. But they look kind of "fashionable" even though they are both classic and correct.

http://www.budapester-shoes.com/han...e8b99b1a817d3ffe74af38ccc10,1,0,318,0,99.html

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All, 

I'm getting married this summer (mid June) and very excited. The wedding involves a ceremony in the early morning (8am) and an outdoor cocktail reception in the early afternoon (6pm), followed by an indoor dinner (8pm).

We are trying to keep the wedding somewhat low key and not overly formal. I will be wearing two separate outfits (morning and evening). I have my morning outfit already sorted out. In the evening I am wearing a bespoke, medium blue (not Navy) mohair suit. I will be wearing a simple and clean white shirt and a tie.

Here's the dilemma. I do not want to wear black shoes in the evening outfit. And yes, I've searched old threads. 

I know many of you are going to give me the canned, follow-the-rules advice on semi-formal wedding attire that will involve wearing a  navy or charcoal suit and polished black oxfords or balmorals. Blah, blah, blah. F the rules.

So, for those that can think outside the (dated) box ... I'm looking for advice on shoes to wear in the evening, knowing the attitude of the wedding is an easygoing party among close friends rather than a formal, stuffy, typical wedding. I'd like to wear very sharp brown shoes that look classy. I'm a big fan of Scarpe Di Bianco (I like a shoe with a little attitude), but my budget is $500 - $750. I'm partial to italian shoes that are slightly fashion forward (i.e. I am not a fan of most Allen Edmonds shoes).

Any thoughts on a) wearing brown shoes to your wedding and b) suggested shoes I might look at?

Thanks!!

Here you go:

They are dark oak antique. Edward Green Midford on the 82 last. They look lighter in direct sunlight/bright light and darker indoors. Here's my pair when they first arrived:

Last edited:

oppi

Reaction score
Have you ever been to an actual wedding before? I don't think you are going too have much trouble keeping it from being "overly formal". In fact, unless (and probably even if) you specify a pretty rigorous dress code, you are going to end up with people in cargo shorts and flip flops. If you actually tell them that the wedding reception is "an easygoing party among close friends" . . . well, I think the color of your shoes will be the least of your problems.
Having said that, the people recommending ox blood are right. Especially if you are the groom, brown just won't work. I recommend a pair of calf skin ox blood/dark red "Old London" from Vass, if you can lay your hands on a pair in time. They might be a bit higher than your price range at the moment, I'm not sure. But they look kind of "fashionable" even though they are both classic and correct.
http://www.budapester-shoes.com/han...e8b99b1a817d3ffe74af38ccc10,1,0,318,0,99.html

I've been too more than I can count, however point taken. Thank you.

Our venue has a dress code requirement for men - jacket, button down and pants required. We haven't mandated a dress code beyond that for our guests, however we are coordinating with our closest friends and family (which makes up 80% of the guest list). It's an indo-caribbean-scottish-canadian wedding, and we're trying to keep the attitude easy-going, not lazy or sloppy, to accommodate the various cultures and our personal style. Perhaps the term I should have used is non-traditional. (for example, she is not wearing a white dress ... it will be blush colour).

Anyhow, thanks to all for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

And thanks for not attacking.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

oppi

Reaction score
To give you an idea of the colour of the suit, it was inspired by Tom Cruise's blue rig from the latest mission impossible. Mine will be at least a shade or two darker though.

A link: http://modernconnoisseurtt.tumblr.c...that-fabric-blue-suit-from-mission-impossible

I believe I went with Holland & Sherry or Dormeuil Kid Mohair (I ordered a few suits and it's been a few weeks since my last fitting appointment so it is hard to keep track!!). There was no reference to birdseye.

So black or burgundy/shell with this then?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I would stick with calf.

Shell is pretty informal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics