• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing driving shoes with a suit

armaniwang07

Reaction score
I just got a pair of awesome (and expensive) designer driving shoes. I understand that they're supposed to be for casual wear, but can I wear them with a suit?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
simon.gif

butterflystyle

Reaction score
1235434945320.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only when driving a car that requires them ... and then ONLY inside the car.

blackjack

Reaction score
Funny how the OP's question is the exact same one posed on GQ:
Originally Posted by armaniwang07
I just got a pair of awesome (and expensive) designer driving shoes. I understand that they’re supposed to be for casual wear, but can I wear them with a suit?
vs. http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/su.../driving-shoes
Wearing driving shoes with a suit I just got a pair of awesome (and expensive) designer driving shoes. I understand that they’re supposed to be for casual wear, but can I wear them with a suit? It’s okay to wear casual shoes like these when you’re wearing a suit casually. Not when you’re arguing before the court of appeals or attending a wedding or a wake, but when you’re going to the movies on a date or attending a sporting event. Losing the tie and changing the shoes is one way of transforming one’s work clothes into a night-crawling mode. I assume by “driving shoes” you mean shoes like Tod’s moccasins, with those little rubber nubs on the heel and sole—moccasins that say, “I’m rich and I’m not walking very far.” They work for some people, and they do come in a nice spectrum of colors. But as a purist, I really think you should own a sports car to wear them, or at least be driving stick.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQ
I assume by "driving shoes" you mean shoes like Tod's moccasins, with those little rubber nubs on the heel and sole"”moccasins that say, "I'm rich and I'm not walking very far."

I must be buying the wrong shoes ... mine never talk ... to me or anyone else!

Tim Bernee

Reaction score
i have a long waist. and short legs.. i... wondering what kind of shoes would suit me. For a meeting with a client (work Casual) is it ok to wear black shiny suit.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tim Bernee
i have a long waist. and short legs.. i... wondering what kind of shoes would suit me. For a meeting with a client (work Casual) is it ok to wear black shiny suit.

Yes - and white, pointy, shiny shoes

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it's made of shining armour, yes.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's okay to wear casual shoes like these when you're wearing a suit casually. Not when you're arguing before the court of appeals or attending a wedding or a wake, but when you're going to the movies on a date or attending a sporting event. Losing the tie and changing the shoes is one way of transforming one's work clothes into a night-crawling mode. I assume by "driving shoes" you mean shoes like Tod's moccasins, with those little rubber nubs on the heel and sole"”moccasins that say, "I'm rich and I'm not walking very far." They work for some people, and they do come in a nice spectrum of colors. But as a purist, I really think you should own a sports car to wear them, or at least be driving stick.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
It's okay to wear casual shoes like these when you're wearing a suit casually. Not when you're arguing before the court of appeals or attending a wedding or a wake, but when you're going to the movies on a date or attending a sporting event. Losing the tie and changing the shoes is one way of transforming one's work clothes into a night-crawling mode. I assume by "driving shoes" you mean shoes like Tod's moccasins, with those little rubber nubs on the heel and sole"”moccasins that say, "I'm rich and I'm not walking very far." They work for some people, and they do come in a nice spectrum of colors. But as a purist, I really think you should own a sports car to wear them, or at least be driving stick.

When you're a jetsetter , loaded and trend setter , you can afford to wear anything without being criticized or slaughtered by the fashion tribe...

Eccentricity is the privilege of the privileged...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads