• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Drakkar Noir

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
That's because Drakkar is old-school, hollister is new and their target market has been conditioned to believe that it's good. Actually - not so much 'good' as 'familiar' and 'cool' and 'hip'. They smell your Drakkar, but it's not a popular scent, therefore, no comment.

Welcome to herd mentality 101. Also, welcome to the choice between having your own taste (better or worse) and doing your own thing vs. taking the popular route.

You know, I wonder just how far conditioning can move a product's perception. Let's say that some prankster changes the stock A&F room cologne with bottles (marked A&F) of 'kitty-bum'. For discussion purposes let's say it's not too bad, maybe it's got some orange in there, to make it seem deliberate, but it's not pleasant. After a few months, will everyone seek out the 'kitty-bum' smell? Because that's what they got used to in A&F? Food for thought.

BTW: - OP - You will probably get laid more if you go with the hollister.

Are you sure that it's herd mentality and not simply a group of fragrances or scent families that kids dig? The ones I listed are popular, but not nearly as ubiquitous in high school or college as Abercrombie Fierce, etc. They're simply a little sweet and a little citrusy. There's also Creed GIT, which is fairly unique in any younger demographic (most people my age and younger have never heard of it or Cool Water), but still very popular with the people that I'm around.

Is it that much different from kids drinking punch/wine coolers/light beer and hating scotch, brandy, etc*? Certain flavors are easier on the senses and don't take time to acquire a taste for.

*I would never compare DN to a good scotch or brandy- it's still gross.

Maverin1

Reaction score
I was reading about that Pi Neo stuff and it's apparently worshipped so i think i'm going to look into that when i get the chance.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Are you sure that it's herd mentality and not simply a group of fragrances or scent families that kids dig? The ones I listed are popular, but not nearly as ubiquitous in high school or college as Abercrombie Fierce, etc. They're simply a little sweet and a little citrusy. There's also Creed GIT, which is fairly unique in any younger demographic (most people my age and younger have never heard of it or Cool Water), but still very popular with the people that I'm around.

Is it that much different from kids drinking punch/wine coolers/light beer and hating scotch, brandy, etc*? Certain flavors are easier on the senses and don't take time to acquire a taste for.

*I would never compare DN to a good scotch or brandy- it's still gross.

Well, what defines what kids dig? There's likely a valid point to what you're saying, but I remember Polo, Drakkar, and Obsession being the big players back in the day: we couldn't wear those enough. Now? Nostalgic thrills, at best. They were all new back then and actually quite well-composed, now that I think of it, but I think the primary drivers in adopting those scents were: brand/designer loyalty, advertising, and peer acceptance (which came along with the first two). Armani wasn't all that great, but holy hell, everyone wanted a bottle of it, back then.

I think that like/dislike comes into play, but at that age peer acceptance is a far greater driver than personal tastes. Our 10-year-old likes Caron Pour Un Homme very much and can pick it out of a lineup of scents...but he's asked for Axe when he goes to school. Doesn't even matter what color/name it is.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll risk never being taken seriously again on the Scent of the Day thread and insist that Drakkar Noir really is a pretty good fragrance. I think there are two main problems with DN. First, it's dated. It's one of those big, bold '80s power scents that have long since gone out of style. Second, it suffers from its associations: in its '80s heyday it was worn by a lot of people with dubious taste. While the fragrance itself is certainly not among the greatest triumphs of the perfumer's art, it is not nearly as bad as its reputation.

I own a bottle of this, but I hardly ever wear it because of the ridicule I would have to endure. But when I do wear it, I use two sprays. If you use five and people don't say anything, it's because they're being polite.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Did I travel back in time to 1985
confused.gif

I bet he rocked it with Drakkar back then

Kirk.jpg

blackjack

Reaction score
I had a friend in Tokyo who kept running into these Indian IT engineers that got off at the same subway station and were doused in Drakkar Noir. The ungodly mix of their body odor and too much Drakkar Noir made him physically sick.

laugh.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Did I travel back in time to 1985
confused.gif

Yes. Pick me up some AAPL?

dv_indian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
I had a friend in Tokyo who kept running into these Indian IT engineers that got off at the same subway station and were doused in Drakkar Noir. The ungodly mix of their body odor and too much Drakkar Noir made him physically sick.

laugh.gif

lol. Drakkar was a big deal in India in my growing up years. It had this mythical appeal, being pricey and out of reach for most middle class folks. There was this guy in college who was from a wealthy family. He had a bottle of drakkar in his closet and a fortunate few got a whiff of it. I got myself a bottle a few years ago. I use it rarely and sparingly. It is loud and it is also easily recognized. I like fragrances that are not too common and stand out from the crowd. But once in a while I give in to nostalgia and spray some Drakkar on.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thread of this title made me laugh like the guy in American Psycho when Bateman asks him if he could have a reservation for a table.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to herd mentality 101. Also, welcome to the choice between having your own taste (better or worse) and doing your own thing vs. taking the popular route.

The topic is Drakkar Noir. Therefore, the choice here is between smelling like **** and smelling good. You're making into some counter-culture bullshit which is completely irrelevant.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
The topic is Drakkar Noir. Therefore, the choice here is between smelling like **** and smelling good. You're making into some counter-culture bullshit which is completely irrelevant.

Actually, if you read carefully - you'd see that the point is that the OP wears Drakkar and gets no comments, while the OP's friend wears Hollister and gets all sorts of positive feedback. The underlying subtext is that the OP sees Drakkar as superior and asks whether he's applying it wrong, because he's not getting the love.

So this thread isn't really about smelling good vs. not. It's about getting the approval from the ladies. And put away your copy of On The Road, nothing of that sort is implied here.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
Actually, if you read carefully - you'd see that the point is that the OP wears Drakkar and gets no comments, while the OP's friend wears Hollister and gets all sorts of positive feedback. The underlying subtext is that the OP sees Drakkar as superior and asks whether he's applying it wrong, because he's not getting the love. So this thread isn't really about smelling good vs. not. It's about getting the approval from the ladies. And put away your copy of On The Road, nothing of that sort is implied here.
Um, reading comprehension bro:
No, Thomas was equating Hollister with the "herd" and conformity, and Drakkar with individuality. That's missing the irrefutable point that Hollister smells nice, girls like it, and Drakkar smells like a mixture of creepy old man and ****, and therefore, girls don't like it. The reason the OP is not getting feedback is that he smells awful, and people are too nice to comment.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Um, reading comprehension bro:

No, Thomas was equating Hollister with the "herd" and conformity, and Drakkar with individuality. That's missing the irrefutable point that Hollister smells nice, girls like it, and Drakkar smells like a mixture of creepy old man and ****, and therefore, girls don't like it. The reason the OP is not getting feedback is that he smells awful, and people are too nice to comment.

Those are your opinions, they may be shared by others, but they're hardly fact or even shared by a majority. Drakkar's popularity at the time can hardly be attributed to marketing or lack of other choices. You just don't like it, and you're free not to. But don't confuse your opinions with facts, or think that they are universally shared.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads