• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waxed Canvas Jacket

nadwer

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster here.

I have a bit saved up that I would like to spend on a waxed trucker jacket. I really like the look of the Taylor Stitch in
field tan, but they are nearly impossible to find in my size.

Image:
1585605776312.png

Taylor Stitch is currently selling the jacket in another color that I like, but not quite as much:
(Tobacco)
1585605726485.png

Finally, there is a flint and tinder jacket that is also nice, but I don't like the styling quite as much.
1585605907462.png

I am just looking for feedback. What are your thoughts on any of the three above jackets? Right now I am thinking of getting the tobacco Taylor Stitch, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for your input.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to own the TS waxed trucker in the first pic and didn’t like it much. The waxed canvas is really thin compared to Filson’s waxed cruiser and I didn’t like the fit. The cuffs were too tight and I didn’t like the length because it felt too short. I know truckers are supposed to be short so it boils down to personal preference. If you’re looking for an inexpensive waxed trucker you may want to look at Gustin. Their waxed truckers are really thick and probably have similar price points to TS

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be warned, lighter colored waxed canvas gets dirty easily

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Flint and Tinder in Olive as I have a thing for green and it was on sale. I'll report back.

alpenglowing

Reaction score
I have the Rogue Territory Supply Jacket in Tan, which would also be worth considering. Cultizm currently has it on sale for $225 in size XL (I recommend sizing up one size, so this would be a great fit if you normally wear a size L). I'm sure other sites may have it in other sizes.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about Railcar?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to see some wear pictures on these jackets. The one I ordered if flannel lined so probably won't see use till fall but there seem to be some interesting unlined versions out there.

I'm cheap and I love sales so I have to admit that I bought mine as it was on clearance plus an additional 20% off outerwear plus 10% off for first time customer.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I received my Flint and Tinder in Olive today, I very happy with the color--it is spot on and it should wear nicely. Fit is great as it is a little tight in the shoulders but I expect it to break in to me nicely. Overall, I think it was a great purchase.

Excuse the crappy selfies and the Covid-19 unshaven look, they are just to give you an idea of what this looks like. By the way, I'm 6'1" and usually wear a L or size 44. I went with a L and it was the right decision.
IMG_20200505_102046479.jpg

nadwer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting the Gustin v2 for 100 dollars on poshmark. It seems like a quality garment. How would you @Patek describe the weight of the Flint and tinder?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting the Gustin v2 for 100 dollars on poshmark. It seems like a quality garment. How would you @Patek describe the weight of the Flint and tinder?

It is a mid-weight. The only other waxed jacket I have is a Belstaff motorcycle jacket which they no longer make (the one with a armor inserts etc). I took the armor out and wear it casually especially for air travel as it is water proof and has lots of pockets for passports etc. it also has a zip in liner. However, it is HEAVY and thick and does not have a soft hand. It is stiff and intended to absorb a slide in a motorcycle accident. When you put that one on, its a commitment.

This is a great mid to light weight. It is just stiff enough to be comfortable and take a nap in and not too hot to wear in this 60 degree weather. The real reason I bought it though is the color which pairs nicely with jeans but also with chinos. Blue and tan are hard to do that with for obvious reasons. I wish they made an unlined version in this color for summer wear. They have a brown but it is not the same.

Quality on this seems great. Nice stitching, good solid buttons and a nice fit without being denim jacket tight. The material is very interesting and versatile. Here on this watch picture, you can see some closeup of the color and material detail which has some slub.

Post pictures of what you picked up.

IMG_20200505_155045659_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads