• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe Help Needed

Da GOAT

Reaction score
Hi All

Been lurking for a few weeks, learned alot. Really need some wardrobe help. Ive been a typical bad shopper over the last few years and have a wardrobe thats disjointed and could do with your help.

I am an awkward size at 6ft 6in, 240lbs. I workout so I am slim with good shoulders. Shoe size is 14uk, suits are 44 Long. Also my work dress is business casual but I like to wear the full suits at times for no reason besides feeling good in them. I also live in Ireland.

I will list of what I do have and will pick up pics shortly of them once I figure out how to post from iphone.

What I have;

Suits x 7. Lots of Grey

Light Grey x 2, one with light blue check boxes and the other with charcoal check boxes. Ted Baker and Daniel Hecther (sp)
Dark Charcoal pinstripe, Savoy Tailors Guild
Blue pinstripe - worst suit in the pack and was the cheapest. Best Menswear
Brown with blue pinstripe
Charcoal solid
Black solid Ted Baker

Savoy Tailors/Daniel H are the best I have, Ted Baker could do with another half inch on the leg but they are fine. I have been looking at suit supply this last couple days and like the styles they have, Im thinking I really need a navy suit or two.

Shirts
I have about 20-25 shirts. Only off the rack, mostly TM Lewin. No bigger brand names. 17.5 neck and 36in sleeves, slim fit shirts tend to no fit right at all. If I go down to 17in neck then the waist is better but buttoning the collar is uncomfortable. Just purchased 2 white and 2 blue recently and feel these are way to puffy. I may get them altered so they arent a complete waist.

Overcoats
Do not have and winter approaches. Seen a grey double breasted Calvin Klien coat for 379e I like in House of Fraser (havent been able to find pics online) which can double as both casual and business casual. I dont really need a formal overcoat.

Chinos
Have a RL brown pair. At 38x38 I dont have many options though RL online has stone and wine available.

Shoes x 3
Rockport Black Shoe
Jimmy Bee tan shoe
Just purchased a Barkey Javron brown shoe recently of 250e, size was too big so sending it back. Biggest purchase since joining this forum as I really needed a good quality brown shoe.

Given the size of my feet, I usually purchase from walktall.co.uk which has some decent higher end shoes. Most USA sites charge double the price of the shoe in import taxes.

Ties
My best ones are all from TM Lewin and I think there good quality in them Will post a pick of these later. I am aware when I post that I will be missing several essentials.

Jumpers, all V Neck x 5

Baby Blue Ralph Lauren - bad purchase, too short for my frame. Should bin, never wear
Grey and Black Tommy Hilfiger
Blue and Wine Jack Jones

No scarf, gloves tough to find to fit hands.

Thanks for reading guys, I likely could spend about 500e max a month getting my wardrobe together. I am hoping your help kerbs my impulses to buy silly stuff and focus on quality clothing I truely would love wearing.

Anything I missed I would appreciate, I expect to be around these forums alot and perhaps use this thread for wardrobe updates and pics.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay....

Without pictures, this isn't going to go anywhere. Most of the choices sound fine. Judging by the brands, footwear is a problem. Also, the black suit and the brown suit with blue pinstripes probably aren't worth keeping. Any overcoat probably should have little or no polyester. Foot width would help.

Last edited:

Da GOAT

Reaction score
Couple extra points;

I can actually get AE shoes in from the states from ebay. These dont always incur big import fees. Barker shoes I believe are a fairly good English make.

Bought a great grey CK peacoat today for 250e, went in to spend 379e but it was discounted in a new sale so delighted with result. Fit is very good.

Im thinking of seeing a tailor tomorrow to make me a couple light blue shirts.

Thanks, as I promised the pics of all my suits. Be nice :)

Having gone through the process of taking the pics today I feel all my suit jackets are too big in the body so not happy with that at all. I just kept with the one shirt and a couple ties which dont go great but are just to show how the suits fit me.

Overview of all my suits

2 pics of my best quality ties, not everything I have but the better quality ones. All from TM Lewin. I dont think I have any of the basics per style forum :)

Thats all for now, simply the process of taking these pictures has shown me a whole load of purchasing errors where I could have spent money much better.

All comments welcome, and what items you believe would be immediate needs.

Da GOAT

Reaction score
Couple extra points;

I can actually get AE shoes in from the states from ebay. These dont always incur big import fees. Barker shoes I believe are a fairly good English make.

Bought a great grey CK peacoat today for 250e, went in to spend 379e but it was discounted in a new sale so delighted with result. Fit is very good.

Im thinking of seeing a tailor tomorrow to make me a couple light blue shirts.

Thanks, as I promised the pics of all my suits. Be nice :)

Having gone through the process of taking the pics today I feel all my suit jackets are too big in the body so not happy with that at all. I just kept with the one shirt and a couple ties which dont go great but are just to show how the suits fit me.

Overview of all my suits

2 pics of my best quality ties, not everything I have but the better quality ones. All from TM Lewin. I dont think I have any of the basics per style forum :)

Thats all for now, simply the process of taking these pictures has shown me a whole load of purchasing errors where I could have spent money much better.

All comments welcome, and what items you believe would be immediate needs.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There would be more replies if the pictures were inline or at least compiled into fewer files or (better) a few external links.

Neverthless, the attire has been seen, and the fun part (the critique) begins.

The ties look good quality, but some of the patterns are strange and a few ties are in such light colors that their use is very limited. (Usually the tie should be clearly darker than the shirt.) But any ties as short as the one with the jacket off need to be replaced.

The Ted Baker gray suit don't seem baggy in the waist, but it likely is too short. The brown seems the bulkiest, sleeve width included. As a rule, the more visible pockets at the waist make that area appear larger. At the shoulders and chest, the suits seem to fit well. All the suits' sleeves are too long - shirt cuff should show. All the pants also are too long.

The shirt seems to fit strangely in the upper sleeves. Perhaps due to square shoulders. All the shirts might be too tight at the collar.

Lastly, the left shoulder looks higher than the right. That should be a concern even if it didn't affect clothing.

Last edited:

Da GOAT

Reaction score
There would be more replies if the pictures were inline or at least compiled into fewer files or (better) a few external links.
Neverthless, the attire has been seen, and the fun part (the critique) begins.
The ties look good quality, but some of the patterns are strange and a few ties are in such light colors that their use is very limited. (Usually the tie should be clearly darker than the shirt.) But any ties as short as the one with the jacket off need to be replaced.
The Ted Baker gray suit don't seem baggy in the waist, but it likely is too short. The brown seems the bulkiest, sleeve width included. As a rule, the more visible pockets at the waist make that area appear larger. At the shoulders and chest, the suits seem to fit well. All the suits' sleeves are too long - shirt cuff should show. All the pants also are too long.
The shirt seems to fit strangely in the upper sleeves. Perhaps due to square shoulders. All the shirts might be too tight at the collar.
Lastly, the left shoulder looks higher than the right. That should be a concern even if it didn't affect clothing.

thanks for the comments and I do agree. I may have picked up regular fit suits rather than slim/tailored fit suits so that should be easy to fix. I tried a hugo boss suit on earlier today while shopping and it fit a whole lot better in the lower body. Sleeves were way too long on the 44L and the jacket to short on the 44r.

Shirts: I think Im going to try get shirts made for me from now on and build slowly and starting simple.

Trousers being too long to something I noticed too in the pics.

Regards the shoulders left vs right, Im not sure how to address your point if you could expand.

Also I try go through the site to find out how to post pics properly.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regards the shoulders left vs right, Im not sure how to address your point if you could expand.

The imbalance probably is muscular and therefore addressed at the gym.

southbound35

Reaction score

I tried a hugo boss suit on earlier today while shopping and it fit a whole lot better in the lower body. Sleeves were way too long on the 44L and the jacket to short on the 44r.

You are aware the sleeves can be shortened, right? At your height, I doubt there is a regular length suit of any brand that would fit you. i would think that extra long might work in some cases. I only looked at the first grey suit you posted, but it was significantly too short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads