• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waistcoat, Loose tie look

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
You'd need a hell of a lot of attitude and some color to pull it off.

Agreed. I wore some dark cuffed jeans, engineer boots, a gray plaid wool waist coat, a tailored Wrangler white with blue/black plaid button up shirt, and a black newsboy hat out on the town a few weeks ago. I had three or four girls stop me in the street to say they liked my outfit. I prefer a more masculine take on the idea, rather than the hipsterish version.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
There you go. A better picture to compare it to so people actually read the thread.

They don't work.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I should have found a better picture...

What I want to go for is:

Nice slim white shirt TUCKED IN , skinny tie, waistcoat, and dark jeans. Why are you guys all jumping on the same bandwagon? Randomkoreadude pulled it off about a week ago in WAYWT and no one said anything about him, in fact he got quite a few compliments. I just want to replicate the look but was wondering instead of the filson Mackinaw vest, if a waistcoat would be ok.

I never said vests/waistcoats don't work; rather, they don't work when worn like the douche in the original picture.

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Agreed. I wore some dark cuffed jeans, engineer boots, a gray plaid wool waist coat, a tailored Wrangler white with blue/black plaid button up shirt, and a black newsboy hat out on the town a few weeks ago. I had three or four girls stop me in the street to say they liked my outfit. I prefer a more masculine take on the idea, rather than the hipsterish version.

^^this sounds good.

i think you need a kind of "wind that shakes the barley" approach for this to be ok.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
the pic in the original post dont work anymore? links not working

anyway, for the "loose tie" to work, you can't just use any tie, some work better than others. and of course, the rest of your outfit needs to "make sense"

the guy in my avatar looks natural with the loose tie.. but that was a different time and place (end of 1930's Shanghai)

i can post up the full image if anyone cares to see it...

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
oh.. if you're gonna wear this look with dark denim and white shirt, please dont wear a silk waistcoat. something like cotton or wool would be better, i think..

in the end, just make sure you will be comfortable wearing this kind of outfit

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully I'm Asian so I have the comfort of not lookinglike a complete douche. Noted on the waistcoat...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 3 piece waistcoat looks ******* stupid worn casually. As said, you need a casual vest to even half way pull this off. and not a skinny black tie, what is this, 2002?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads