• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Waist suppression

BlackBrumel

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
223
Reaction score
2
Cheers, gents!

Could you tell me if, in a waist suppression, the fabric is removed from the back or the sides?

thx
 

George

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
Cheers, gents! Could you tell me if, in a waist suppression, the fabric is removed from the back or the sides? thx
Have a scout around on here and find a picture of a sportcoat with a bold plaid and look at the seams and darts on the body of the coat. This will show you where the 'shape' comes from, the bold plaid will highlight the areas for you. Are you intending to do an alteration yourself? The reason I ask is because any competent tailor will know how and where to take in/let out cloth to obtain a more shapely look.
 

BlackBrumel

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
223
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by George

(...).
Are you intending to do an alteration yourself? The reason I ask is because any competent tailor will know how and where to take in/let out cloth to obtain a more shapely look.


Not so sure on the skills of tailors I'm acquainted with.
Thank you for the reply, sir
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
133
Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
Cheers, gents!

Could you tell me if, in a waist suppression, the fabric is removed from the back or the sides?

thx


In the initial cutting the waist supression is distributed between the sides, the back and the front darts. If you're adding waist supression after the fact than this is usually done at the side seams; removing anything from the back seam will pull the jacket towards the back (because there is no opposite 'front' seam you can also remove from) and affect the balance of the coat.
 

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
8,103
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
In the initial cutting the waist supression is distributed between the sides, the back and the front darts. If you're adding waist supression after the fact than this is usually done at the side seams; removing anything from the back seam will pull the jacket towards the back (because there is no opposite 'front' seam you can also remove from) and affect the balance of the coat.

This.
Make sure to find a competent tailor. I lost count of the times tailors have ruined my jackets, shirts, and pants.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 90 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 161 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 84 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 31 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 31 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,650
Messages
9,202,712
Members
193,237
Latest member
amineredouan

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top