• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vw Gti

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Yea about comfort. I'm 6'1" 210lbs. Will I be comfortable in a GTI?

my sister has the GLI with the recaro seats, now maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there is a height adjustment. To sit in the proper driving position, my head is in the ceiling and I'm only 5.10

my experience with vdubs is lots of random electronic flukes and the lip kit on the gti/gli's to be dangerously low for alot of peoples driveway curbs... and the stock tires they come with are worthless in the winter, you'll want a second all season/winter set for sure!

(had a pre-order on the last batch of r32's and got cold feet at the 11th hour)

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
yeah, it's fine. more room than many cars i've owned, less than our family van. i changed the exhaust and intake on the 3.2 so i get just around 300hp now. would be good if the seat was a bit wider down below in terms of leg room.

Whoa the car must be a rocket with 300 hp at that weight. Now that you mention it, the problem for me really was the seat width. And I am definitely not a big guy (5 10 185).

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
my sister has the GLI with the recaro seats, now maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there is a height adjustment. To sit in the proper driving position, my head is in the ceiling and I'm only 5.10

my experience with vdubs is lots of random electronic flukes and the lip kit on the gti/gli's to be dangerously low for alot of peoples driveway curbs... and the stock tires they come with are worthless in the winter, you'll want a second all season/winter set for sure!

(had a pre-order on the last batch of r32's and got cold feet at the 11th hour)

Yea I was actually looking for coilovers that would allow an increase in height for better ground clearance for crappy roads and winter. I asked if you could raise them on the VW forum and the guys freaked out and said I should be banned lol.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But all this **** being said, my VWs & Audis are definitely the cars I remember, there is just something about those cars . . .
inlove.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to have a mkIV (20th anniversary in Jazz Blue, bitches!) Liked it a lot other than the fact that it was FWD.

Have a buddy with a mkIV and he has no complaints. Little sis drives a rabbit and she loves it.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Used to have a mkIV (20th anniversary in Jazz Blue, bitches!) Liked it a lot other than the fact that it was FWD.

Have a buddy with a mkIV and he has no complaints. Little sis drives a rabbit and she loves it.

I'm from Philly too. How did it handle the winters? With FWD do you think it would be alright with snow tires? I was looking at WRX's but don't want a manual. I was pretty set on a Forester XT but then started to consider the GTI's.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but do you get 300 hp out of the r32?

I get 250 +/_ but it isn't just HP, it is the feel, the cornering and the comfort in the seats that I prefer over the Audi. Audi's are nice cars but in this case I would take my R32 over your A3.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
am thinking about rs4 next i think. had vws for years but too many mech issues with touareg and passat

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
am thinking about rs4 next i think. had vws for years but too many mech issues with touareg and passat

Passat and Touraeg had big issues as did my "04 Cayenne
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
passat wasn't too bad, but 05 touareg had no power and was awful. every time i hit a bump the stereo shorted out. i had to seek potholes to get it to turn back on.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, it's fine. more room than many cars i've owned, less than our family van. i changed the exhaust and intake on the 3.2 so i get just around 300hp now. would be good if the seat was a bit wider down below in terms of leg room.
Not to be a doucher, but how do you figure you gained that much power from intake and exhaust?
passat wasn't too bad, but 05 touareg had no power and was awful. every time i hit a bump the stereo shorted out. i had to seek potholes to get it to turn back on.
I still really want an older V10 TDI Touareg.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from Philly too. How did it handle the winters? With FWD do you think it would be alright with snow tires? I was looking at WRX's but don't want a manual. I was pretty set on a Forester XT but then started to consider the GTI's.

With snow tires you'll be fine. In my opinion, for the amount of snow we get in the Philly area you're fine with just about anything as long as you get snow tires (I spent a couple of winters driving around in my first S2000 with snow tires).

On the other hand, I was in Nashville for a few months last winter and didn't bother to bring the snow tires for my BMW and ran off the road into a fence post. My own dumb ass fault for driving on Michelin Pilot Sports in the snow.

I have another S2000 now with snow tires, though I have a beater Cherokee to drive now when it gets ****** out (with M+S rated tires). Even if it's not snowing out, summer tires suck when it gets cold.

I'd much rather have FWD or RWD with proper winter tires than 4WD or AWD with crappy all season or summer tires.

wmb

Reaction score
I think the GTI looks great inside and out. Seems great for the price -- love the modern no gimmick design.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Yea it's definitely a practical car and everything. I wish it had 4motion though, which the Golf R will have but that will only come with a manual transmission.
so?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads