1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vw Gti

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jbreen1, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

What do you guys think of these? I've been car shopping for a while and I'm always changing my mind. I want to go give one a test drive but I can't get rid of the boyracer fanboy image I have with these things. Acceptable for an adult to drive or is it too boyracer for you guys? [​IMG]

2. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    It's a good balance of fun and practicality for a daily driver. Drawback is that the random VW electronic bugs are still present from my limited experience (girl I'm seeing drives a 2010 gti). The interior is pretty nice... I really like the thick steering wheel with the flat bottom and it has good leather seats. And, driving dynamics are quite good for a fwd car. Zippy but not a blistering fast car.

I'd say give it a test drive! You'll know whether it's for you once you give it a shot. Also, I think that the fun quotient may outweigh the slight possibility of electronic issues. There is always that balance you have to weigh.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i was planning on one for awhile but i wound up with an audi a3 and have never looked back, was a good decision if i do say so myself. i think they are a little too youthful for me (i'm 35)

4. Hany

Hany Senior member

I guess it depends on the colour you choose. If it is black or navy blue it won't look as boyracer-ish as a white or red one.

5. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

if you gotta ask,then you dont love it...therefore you should not buy it.

6. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

Yea it's definitely a practical car and everything. I wish it had 4motion though, which the Golf R will have but that will only come with a manual transmission.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

We have the similar R32 (2 dr) version and love it. I like it better than the Audi myself and I'm a lot older than any of you boy racer punks.

8. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

i was planning on one for awhile but i wound up with an audi a3 and have never looked back, was a good decision if i do say so myself. i think they are a little too youthful for me (i'm 35)

I'm only 23 but I knew a lot of kids in high school with GTI's that were into that whole scene. I guess that's where I have the image from.

9. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

I'm only 23 but I knew a lot of kids in high school with GTI's that were into that whole scene. I guess that's where I have the image from.

i still have a hardon for the 82-84 gti[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

but do you get 300 hp out of the r32?

We have the similar R32 (2 dr) version and love it. I like it better than the Audi myself and I'm a lot older than any of you boy racer punks.

11. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as shit but unbelievably cramped.

GTI has always been a cool car. I had a 90 something VR6. Loved that car, I think the ex is still driving it.

12. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as shit but unbelievably cramped.

GTI has always been a cool car. I had a 90 something VR6. Loved that car, I think the ex is still driving it.

Yea about comfort. I'm 6'1" 210lbs. Will I be comfortable in a GTI?

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yeah, it's fine. more room than many cars i've owned, less than our family van. i changed the exhaust and intake on the 3.2 so i get just around 300hp now. would be good if the seat was a bit wider down below in terms of leg room.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yes, i am 6'2, 220

15. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Never had that problem in the GTI but it was an earlier generation. For me the A3 was just nasty to drive.

16. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

my sister has the GLI with the recaro seats, now maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there is a height adjustment. To sit in the proper driving position, my head is in the ceiling and I'm only 5.10

my experience with vdubs is lots of random electronic flukes and the lip kit on the gti/gli's to be dangerously low for alot of peoples driveway curbs... and the stock tires they come with are worthless in the winter, you'll want a second all season/winter set for sure!

(had a pre-order on the last batch of r32's and got cold feet at the 11th hour)

17. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

yeah, it's fine. more room than many cars i've owned, less than our family van. i changed the exhaust and intake on the 3.2 so i get just around 300hp now. would be good if the seat was a bit wider down below in terms of leg room.

Whoa the car must be a rocket with 300 hp at that weight. Now that you mention it, the problem for me really was the seat width. And I am definitely not a big guy (5 10 185).

18. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

my sister has the GLI with the recaro seats, now maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there is a height adjustment. To sit in the proper driving position, my head is in the ceiling and I'm only 5.10

my experience with vdubs is lots of random electronic flukes and the lip kit on the gti/gli's to be dangerously low for alot of peoples driveway curbs... and the stock tires they come with are worthless in the winter, you'll want a second all season/winter set for sure!

(had a pre-order on the last batch of r32's and got cold feet at the 11th hour)

Yea I was actually looking for coilovers that would allow an increase in height for better ground clearance for crappy roads and winter. I asked if you could raise them on the VW forum and the guys freaked out and said I should be banned lol.

19. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

But all this shit being said, my VWs & Audis are definitely the cars I remember, there is just something about those cars . . . [​IMG]

20. dcg

dcg Senior member

Used to have a mkIV (20th anniversary in Jazz Blue, bitches!) Liked it a lot other than the fact that it was FWD.

Have a buddy with a mkIV and he has no complaints. Little sis drives a rabbit and she loves it.