1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vw Gti

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jbreen1, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Distinguished Member

What do you guys think of these? I've been car shopping for a while and I'm always changing my mind. I want to go give one a test drive but I can't get rid of the boyracer fanboy image I have with these things. Acceptable for an adult to drive or is it too boyracer for you guys? [​IMG]

2. jkennett

jkennett Senior Member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    It's a good balance of fun and practicality for a daily driver. Drawback is that the random VW electronic bugs are still present from my limited experience (girl I'm seeing drives a 2010 gti). The interior is pretty nice... I really like the thick steering wheel with the flat bottom and it has good leather seats. And, driving dynamics are quite good for a fwd car. Zippy but not a blistering fast car.

I'd say give it a test drive! You'll know whether it's for you once you give it a shot. Also, I think that the fun quotient may outweigh the slight possibility of electronic issues. There is always that balance you have to weigh.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Stylish Dinosaur

i was planning on one for awhile but i wound up with an audi a3 and have never looked back, was a good decision if i do say so myself. i think they are a little too youthful for me (i'm 35)

4. Hany

Hany Senior Member

I guess it depends on the colour you choose. If it is black or navy blue it won't look as boyracer-ish as a white or red one.

5. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

if you gotta ask,then you dont love it...therefore you should not buy it.

6. Jbreen1

Yea it's definitely a practical car and everything. I wish it had 4motion though, which the Golf R will have but that will only come with a manual transmission.

7. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

We have the similar R32 (2 dr) version and love it. I like it better than the Audi myself and I'm a lot older than any of you boy racer punks.

8. Jbreen1

i was planning on one for awhile but i wound up with an audi a3 and have never looked back, was a good decision if i do say so myself. i think they are a little too youthful for me (i'm 35)

I'm only 23 but I knew a lot of kids in high school with GTI's that were into that whole scene. I guess that's where I have the image from.

9. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

I'm only 23 but I knew a lot of kids in high school with GTI's that were into that whole scene. I guess that's where I have the image from.

i still have a hardon for the 82-84 gti[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. thekunk07

but do you get 300 hp out of the r32?

We have the similar R32 (2 dr) version and love it. I like it better than the Audi myself and I'm a lot older than any of you boy racer punks.

11. JoelF

JoelF Distinguished Member

You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as shit but unbelievably cramped.

GTI has always been a cool car. I had a 90 something VR6. Loved that car, I think the ex is still driving it.

12. Jbreen1

You're a big guy, do you find the A3 comfortable? I bought a 3.2 when they first came out in the U.S., was fast as shit but unbelievably cramped.

GTI has always been a cool car. I had a 90 something VR6. Loved that car, I think the ex is still driving it.

Yea about comfort. I'm 6'1" 210lbs. Will I be comfortable in a GTI?

13. thekunk07

yeah, it's fine. more room than many cars i've owned, less than our family van. i changed the exhaust and intake on the 3.2 so i get just around 300hp now. would be good if the seat was a bit wider down below in terms of leg room.

14. thekunk07

yes, i am 6'2, 220

15. JoelF

JoelF Distinguished Member

Never had that problem in the GTI but it was an earlier generation. For me the A3 was just nasty to drive.