• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rather sad I finished Elden Ring, one of the best games I have played.
It is rare for me to feel that a game was worth paying full price.
These games are not for everyone though.

Having a rough time with it, but I think I got my build wrong though.

Nikos

Reaction score
Having a rough time with it, but I think I got my build wrong though.

I honestly think there is no wrong build, you just need to focus on 3-4 stats to upgrade. Do not upgrade everything.
Have you played other Dark Souls games?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
1. use moonveil
2. spam weapon art
3. ???
4. profit!!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I honestly think there is no wrong build, you just need to focus on 3-4 stats to upgrade. Do not upgrade everything.
Have you played other Dark Souls games?

Nope this is my first DS game. Almost level 50, started as a Wretch and focused my points on strength, vigor and endurance. Beat Margit but getting stomped by just about everything in that castle now.

My friend gave me a set of scaled armor, and I 2 hand the claymore with the lightning ashes of war.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
level vigor first. at least to 30 if you're struggling. the hp gains in elden ring are very generous.
you don't need more than 25 endurance unless you are planning on going tank unga bunga. that is the first equip weight softcap.
weapon level upgrades matter more than stat upgrades until the scaling gets high enough.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahh ok. I'm close to 30 in all 3 of those stats but not there yet.

Nikos

Reaction score
@nahneun is right. Vigor is the most important stat.
Claymore is good, a Dark Souls classic (although I used Katanas).
You might want to try a 100% protection medium shield until you get a better grasp of the timing.
Dark Souls games are rhythm games. We all get our asses kicked, but understanding this will probably help.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm improving, but just really slowly. I think I've used mounted combat as a crutch and it kinda hobbled me. I have the beast crest heater shield, but I fat roll with it when wearing my scaled armor, and it's just too much fun using a sword two-handed hehe although yeah I should probably just break down and use the shield.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope this is my first DS game. Almost level 50, started as a Wretch and focused my points on strength, vigor and endurance. Beat Margit but getting stomped by just about everything in that castle now.

My friend gave me a set of scaled armor, and I 2 hand the claymore with the lightning ashes of war.

Also - weapon upgrades give you much more damage output than Strength stat upgrades. You should focus leveling Strength to the minimum requirement for whatever weapon you want, then dump everything else in Vigor (until at least 40, ideally 60) and enough endeurance to fast roll with weapon + armor + shield.

You can find smithing stones in the caverns mostly (orange caves on map). Pump your weapon up.

Some other basic DS strats that might be helpful: Roll INTO attacks (not away from), jumping R2 attacks do massive stagger damage to poise-break enemies and bosses, and always leave enough END for a safety roll (don't get greedy). Also make sure you are using/upgrading your bell summons, they help a lot with most bosses.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm improving, but just really slowly. I think I've used mounted combat as a crutch and it kinda hobbled me. I have the beast crest heater shield, but I fat roll with it when wearing my scaled armor, and it's just too much fun using a sword two-handed hehe although yeah I should probably just break down and use the shield.

If you are fat rolling then you NEED to use a shield. IMO you should ditch the armor for something lighter that lets you fast roll, and use a shield as needed. FWIW Greatshields cause enemies attacks to "bounce" off in many circumstances (breaks their ability to combo) which leaves them open for counterattacks. Also the new counterattack mechanic in this game (I think it's called guard breaking?) is borderline OP, use it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TY. I mean, I fat roll when equipping the shield in addition to what I have on. Scaled armor is pretty heavy. I also still haven't gotten that talisman from the stone key door at the beginning of the game, should probably do that heh.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TY. I mean, I fat roll when equipping the shield in addition to what I have on. Scaled armor is pretty heavy. I also still haven't gotten that talisman from the stone key door at the beginning of the game, should probably do that heh.

Armor is one of the least important pieces of equipment from an efficiency standpoint (unless you really care about fashion). So prioritize weapon + Sheild + stats. That early game talisman (erdtree favor?) is good but you can bum rush to get better ones (Radagon's soreseal) if you want a quick stat boost.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahh okay. Thanks!

If the heavy armor really isn't that beneficial, maybe I can just start using the greatsword instead of Claymore and just go with light armor. Think I only need like 3 more str points to wield it one handed so, nice.

Nikos

Reaction score
Don't get greedy: best advice for any FromSoftware game.
Also, since you are playing melee, try different weapons. I regret having played the same style for most of the game. You might find something you really like, and this game has so many options.
Happy to help, if time zone allows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads