• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be perfectly honest....I've played Skyrim quite a bit (lvl 48) and don't think I've ever used any of the soul gems or azure star.... This could be because I am a noob to the whole Elder Scrolls series.

I know you use them to "recharge" weapons. Are they also used for smithing? Or enchanting?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally burned out on Skyrim recently. Picked up Crysis 2 and downloaded Toy Soldiers: Cold War. Crysis 2 is obviously amazing but first person shooters almost never do it for me. I can see playing this but it's never going to be an obsession like Skyrim. Toy Soldiers, on the other hand, is a ******* blast. Kind of a cross between a tower defense game and Earth Defense Force, with a boatload of 80s childhood nostalgia to boot.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be perfectly honest....I've played Skyrim quite a bit (lvl 48) and don't think I've ever used any of the soul gems or azure star.... This could be because I am a noob to the whole Elder Scrolls series.
I know you use them to "recharge" weapons. Are they also used for smithing? Or enchanting?

Enchanting.

Also, don't get Azura's star. Take it to the elf guy in Winterhold that told you where to get it and he will turn it into the Black Star. Most useful artifact in the game.

And Chillrend is the best one handed weapon in the game, especially if you get it after level 45 I think. The only thing better is one of the ridiculously overpowered weapons you can make with max enchanting and smithing skills.

Last edited:

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Got the Chillrend.

Is there a way to level the enchanting skill quickly? Something like smithing iron daggers and leather bracers to boost smithing quickly? I think I've only disenchanted a couple items total, so I'm way behind...:embar:

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fastest way to level enchanting is to stock up on empty soul gems, and trap a bunch of souls (enchanting a weapon with soul trap is the easiest IMO) then do cheap enchantments on every piece of loot you find. Good way to get a bunch of money in the meantime.

You can also get a soul trapping weapon and the black star and constantly recharge it. You get XP from the size of the soul used, not the amount of the recharge, so you level up fast using grand souls (and all NPC souls are grand) even if you are recharging very little.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't automatically say Black Star is better. Since it only traps the large souls, I'd say grab that only if you want to enchant your own weapons.

I care more about keeping the weapons I come across powered rather than enchanting my own, so I opted for Azura's Star instead, easier to find the Skyrim fauna in the wild, I'd hate to have to run around looking for bandits just to charge my weapons, since the Black Star only takes sentient souls.

Also, if you return the start to Azura, you'll get her mage as a follower. Grabbed the item last night at level 14. Now I need to find a soul drinking weapon.

Still getting ****** handed to me in battle way too much too, I think I haven't focused my skills enough on weaponry. I'm trying to do too much at once (sneak, blade, archery, alchemy, block, light armor)....I probably need to focus JUST on sneak and 1 handed blade for a while.

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't automatically say Black Star is better. Since it only traps the large souls, I'd say grab that only if you want to enchant your own weapons.

The game actually lies to you about this. Unless they have changed this in a patch in the last couple of weeks, the black star actually traps every soul. Most likely a bug but whatever.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yeah, you should do either sneak or block and armor. Get your sneak high enough and raise your stamina so you can hit and run. Get the sneak perks that give you 15x backstabs, and the gloves from the dark brotherhood that double your backstabs. Carry two daggers and use the two handed power attack and you're basically one-hitting almost everything, even with a fairly low one-hand skill.

It's kind of a pain to do, but if you can get your illusion skill to 75, and take just the perks you need to get the expert level perk, you can get the invisibility spell and at that point you don't even need armor anymore. Snipe from stealth to thin out the room, sneak in, backstab, invisible, backstab, room clear. :foo:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The game actually lies to you about this. Unless they have changed this in a patch in the last couple of weeks, the black star actually traps every soul. Most likely a bug but whatever.

Well damn that changes everything. Glad I have a saved spot right before I spoke with Azura after retrieving the item, hah.

(although killing the dude inside the star was very TOUGH for my character heh)

Last edited:

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well damn that changes everything. Glad I have a saved spot right before I spoke with Azura after retrieving the item, hah.
(although killing the dude inside the star was very TOUGH for my character heh)

That fight is a *****. One thing I found was summoning fire or storm atronachs and zapping the dremora lords with a staff of chain lightning. Then you can take down the main guy on his own.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm no spellcaster, never have been in a TES game. Archer/Sneaker/Alchemist all the way.

Finally managed to soften him up with my bow and arrow, and I guess I got lucky because he charged me, and I guess the fire from the dremora hitting his back, and the arrows hitting his front made him fall to one sword blow when he got up to me.

I grabbed his staff while being burnt alive by those dremora and had literally 2 hit points left and all out of healing potions when Azura whisked me back.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, and the Necromancers in the deluge to get the star were tough too. Kudos to Bethesda for FINALLY being the first to ever make ice based magic attacks seem....dangerous.

The Necromancer who throws those rapid fire shards was wicked!

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm no spellcaster, never have been in a TES game. Archer/Sneaker/Alchemist all the way.
Finally managed to soften him up with my bow and arrow, and I guess I got lucky because he charged me, and I guess the fire from the dremora hitting his back, and the arrows hitting his front made him fall to one sword blow when he got up to me.
I grabbed his staff while being burnt alive by those dremora and had literally 2 hit points left and all out of healing potions when Azura whisked me back.

I lucked out and had an Elven shield with 40% flame resistance. I found out there were 3 of those Dremora and when the got in a bunch, I died everry time... so I finally just sprinted up to each one before they could band together. I used, I believe, all my potions on that one quest alone. Hahaha.

Well I finally started upgrading my gear. I crafted a ring, gloves, body armor, and amulet with Fortify smithing 25% (I know it's not max, but it works for me). Upgraded Chllrend. I know do a whopping 132 damage on that sword!

My next goal is going to upgrade my nightengale armor, which will be awhile. Love the look of the Nightengale armor, so sweet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads