• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Medway I have are some used Edward Green Galways that I bought. Really is better than ridgeway for general use imho.
I would get something in it if it was an option

Trim Man

Reaction score
PXL_20210922_181530422.PORTRAIT.jpg

Port Vitello Calf from @Calvin as in CALVIN. I love these things! Thank you, sir.

Trim Man

Reaction score
Great purchase ?
did you condition them btw? They don't look as matte as the port leather normally does.
I didn't condition them because the leather looked to be in great shape and I wasn't sure what to use. I did give them a pretty good brushing though.

Under the indoor and artificial light they look pretty dark and they have a pretty good sheen, but under the natural light they look lighter and more matte, like in the pictures you typically see. They also look a little more shiny in the pics I'm taking than they do in person.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't condition them because the leather looked to be in great shape and I wasn't sure what to use. I did give them a pretty good brushing though.

Under the indoor and artificial light they look pretty dark and they have a pretty good sheen, but under the natural light they look lighter and more matte, like in the pictures you typically see. They also look a little more shiny in the pics I'm taking than they do in person.
I see, they look great, Maryam’s 1071 port leather is truly a chameleon leather as someone else stated here.

Trim Man

Reaction score
I see, they look great, Maryam’s 1071 port leather is truly a chameleon leather as someone else stated here.
Thanks! It is definitely an interesting leather and the color varies a lot depending on light conditions. I didn't realize it was considered a nubuck until I received these and saw it written on the box. That was part of the reason I held off on conditioning them. I don't really know how to care for nubuck.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It is definitely an interesting leather and the color varies a lot depending on light conditions. I didn't realize it was considered a nubuck until I received these and saw it written on the box. That was part of the reason I held off on conditioning them. I don't really know how to care for nubuck.
I have a pair of matte black calf which has almost like a nubuck finish. It has a very fine nap to it and Ive never conditioned them since I got them which is about 2 years or more with daily wear and they don’t seem to need anything other than the occasional brushing. Im sure someone else can chime in tho about nubuck care or that has had the 1071 ports longer than we have.
I conditioned them. The way it looks after is amazing imo. It made the patina process fun again post conditioning
Ahh, thanks for clarifying! From the pictures I’ve seen, it seems like the port leather gets a sheen after conditioning. Did the leather age more quickly or something after conditioning?
I actually like the leather a lot as is lol, although it’s known to be a ‘patina machine’

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
I have a pair of matte black calf which has almost like a nubuck finish. It has a very fine nap to it and Ive never conditioned them since I got them which is about 2 years or more with daily wear and they don’t seem to need anything other than the occasional brushing. Im sure someone else can chime in tho about nubuck care or that has had the 1071 ports longer than we have.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying! From the pictures I’ve seen, it seems like the port leather gets a sheen after conditioning. Did the leather age more quickly or something after conditioning?
I actually like the leather a lot as is lol, although it’s known to be a ‘patina machine’
I conditioned it after i went thru some heavy dust. A user used it and posted it and I loved the sheen it took. Hydrated boot + awesome transformation is a win for me

7sport

Reaction score
I have a pair of matte black calf which has almost like a nubuck finish. It has a very fine nap to it and Ive never conditioned them since I got them which is about 2 years or more with daily wear and they don’t seem to need anything other than the occasional brushing.
I’ve got some old matte black calf ones from Notre. I conditioned mine after a couple of years and really regretted it. It took a while before the original leather character returned - and it’s an awesome leather. In fact I’m still not convinced they truly returned to original conditions after looking at some old pics.

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got some old matte black calf ones from Notre. I conditioned mine after a couple of years and really regretted it. It took a while before the original leather character returned - and it’s an awesome leather. In fact I’m still not convinced they truly returned to original conditions after looking at some old pics.
It's a great leather and a nice twist for a black leather boot. It's a tough leather as well, considering they were my daily boots for some time and don't need to be conditioned. I'm going to hold off conditioning until they actually need it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads