• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dugafola

Reaction score
noticed this small tear in my olive chromepaks today. any advice on how to treat/mitigate this? i also noticed the start of some really small tears on my other boot as well.

totalair1

Reaction score
noticed this small tear in my olive chromepaks today. any advice on how to treat/mitigate this? i also noticed the start of some really small tears on my other boot as well.

That's very interesting. Are you sure it's not a cut? It appears to show some of the material around the threads of the white stitching. Appears to have surface abrasion above the cut/tear. If its a tear its fairly clean and runs in a fairly straight line. I can't imagine what would put enough stress in the toe area to tear this. I suppose it's possible this material got cut in the process of finishing off the boot...when it gets trimmed after the welt gets attached. On the surface it almost appears something dug into the leather and balled it up as it ran across the surface. As far as repair...some type of glue at a shoe repair shop. Unless there is a lot of pressure (usually not) it might not get any worse.

Steve

Last edited:

Dugafola

Reaction score
That's very interesting. Are you sure it's not a cut? It appears to show some of the material around the threads of the white stitching. Appears to have surface abrasion above the cut/tear. If its a tear its fairly clean and runs in a fairly straight line. I can't imagine what would put enough stress in the toe area to tear this. I suppose it's possible this material got cut in the process of finishing off the boot...when it gets trimmed after the welt gets attached.

Steve

yea not sure steve. I also sent the photo to viberg to get their advice.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Knowing how the fat vs. slim was used on the GMTO, is this the same meaning Viberg.com uses when describing “Brown ***** Calf” for instance? Or in that usage is Viberg describing the last choice of the makeup as well?

No. "***** calf" refers to the material. The last on which the boot/shoe is build is specified on the makeup.

SF just was referring to the fact that the 2030 is the most narrow last, hence the term skinny, and for fat feet people, they get the fat version with a wider last.

Aviv

Reaction score

yea not sure steve.  I also sent the photo to viberg to get their advice. 

There is no welt here as this is stitchdown. With that said, that is the point on the leather that receives the most stress during lasting. I imagine this is just the leather creasing there - unless you nicked it on something without realizing. I can't really tell from the photo (try posting a clearer one) how deep it goes. You probably have nothing to worry about and I bet that's what Viberg will tell you.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a pair from the sample sale where the upper had some tears similar to this. but that occurred during the lasting of the boots. I haven't had any issues with it since it is fully structured toe and doesn't move.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
Might want to give that area a light brushing to remove any dirt or debris. It looks to be surface only, and above the stitching.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads