• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

waldamsel

Reaction score
The Chukka, No.8 Cordovan, Tan Lining, Dainite Sole/Heel, 2030 Last, No Box Toe is my favortite too. The Tan Lining is not a must have!
LA Guy, please
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]note these chukka for me.[/FONT]

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey Fok, clue me in on why your MTO service boot is considered a "sneaker boot"?
Because of the way I chose the sole, really. It's will be a chunky, double midsole, on a sole that is too thick to be considered "dressy" in any way, but not durable enough to be considered anything like a work sole. I thought of something that a company like Visvim, which has a streetwear background, might do if it was playing with the idea of a boot, but for the urban environment and for a super casual style, and came up with this.
If you guys do a Cordovan it will put these out of reach for many of us...
Well, not every boot or shoe will be for everybody. It will just require a large enough buy in for each boot. If something is not for you, you can be assured that something else will be, since we plan to make this an ongoing program.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of the way I chose the sole, really. It's will be a chunky, double midsole, on a sole that is too thick to be considered "dressy" in any way, but not durable enough to be considered anything like a work sole. I thought of something that a company like Visvim, which has a streetwear background, might do if it was playing with the idea of a boot, but for the urban environment and for a super casual style, and came up with this.
Dude, that sounds rad. When do you think this whole MTO thing will get kickstarted?

mariobros

Reaction score
On a much cooler note, check out the beginnings of my MTO service boots, which are in a special "heather grey" leather, roughout, with the smooth side out on the heel counter. They will sit on a double leather midsole and a beige Vibram 2060 sole. I designed them specifically as "sneaker boots". If enough people want something like that, we can get them in the Styleforummarket MTO program. We will document the entire process.

Sounds like they will look somewhat similar to these LSxSE Aldens (minus the roughout 2-tone, and double mid)
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/02/18/alden-shoes-lsxse-lsw-lsbh/

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like they will look somewhat similar to these LSxSE Aldens (minus the roughout 2-tone, and double mid)
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/02/18/alden-shoes-lsxse-lsw-lsbh/

Well, they are similar in that they both have a beige sole and have blucher style lacing and a cap toe. But the lasts are different, the models are different - from the number of eyelets to the fact that there is no heel counter on the Aldens, the leather is different, the midsole is different. They would probably look similar if you were in a dark room, 20 feet away, but otherwise, not so much.

Dude, that sounds rad. When do you think this whole MTO thing will get kickstarted?

Probably in the next month or so.

deme24

Reaction score
Can anyone lead me to some on feet pics of the oxford shoes?

I'm interested in buying a pair but can't really find any on feet pics on google or anything. I'd appreciate the help.

iotan

Reaction score

i actually think anything handcut AND in cordovan would be crazy expensive -- even if the MTO fee is waved. were talking about $1K easy. and if thats the case, wed be hard pressed to come up with numbers. Im all for cordovan though. Heres what im suggesting -- An all whiskey version of the pebble grain service boot currently available at Viberg in all black. there is a whiskey with a smoothed out cordovan on the toe and counter available as well, but its not as nice as the all pebble grained version. this is also not a new idea... there was a sample made for the Berlin show last year, and its the one i contacted Guy about during the sample sale. Thing is Brett Viberg himself kept that pair- he posts enough photos of them all the time on ig. Now does he want to share the look? i wouldnt. lol. but we should give it a shot. see below
If possible, I would probably be in for a brown-shaded cordovan (mahogany, whiskey, etc.). I also would probably be interested in the pebble grain whiskey you suggest but would propose doing it on a sleeker last (e.g., 2030). For that matter, I would be interested in the two-tone one they have on the site if in a seeker last. The other suggestion I have is a normal service boot in a sleek last (so along the lines of 2030 Last, Brogue Toe Cap, Dainite Sole, No Box Toe) in the vintage tan roughout. I believe this would be along the lines of one of their early Nigel Cabourn collaborations but without the distressing.

seer

Reaction score

deme24

Reaction score
And you can see my new 145s in post #1167

Great shoes!

They look good, but probably even better when they're broken in. I'm not too fond of the toe cap though, but i don't like toe caps in general. How is sizing for the oxford. I'm normally a us10 so I was thinking I need a uk9, but I don't know if the oxfords have a snug or roomy fit. Any suggestions?

seer

Reaction score
They look good, but probably even better when they're broken in. I'm not too fond of the toe cap though, but i don't like toe caps in general. How is sizing for the oxford. I'm normally a us10 so I was thinking I need a uk9, but I don't know if the oxfords have a snug or roomy fit. Any suggestions?
Yes, I'm just the opposite - I love a cap toe. If you go with the 110 last the UK9 will be fine for a US10D, I'm a US10E or 10 1/2 - so I use the UK9.5. On the 110 last they are a perfect fit for me.

Last edited:

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seer:

The more I see these shoes the more I want a pair. How are they breaking in? I am hoping to catch a pair on sale somewhere or find another vendor like Yuketen that makes something close in look. I know the quality most likely wont be the same. I like the black sole you put on those. More of a classic look.

'I am interested to see what the MTO choices the group decides will look like for the boot ,shoe, chukka etc

Have a good weekend all

DuckOB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads