• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I've been rather fortunate when it comes to sizing for the large number of shoes or boots I've order via the internet or phone. This includes Raincourt, Alden, Viberg, Carmina, C&J, Alfred Sargent, Vass, Edward Green, John Lobb, G&G< and Saint Crispin. This site has been my main go to for sizing advice, but of course there are those times when venders have been able to give me advice based on other shoes or boots I've purchased previously. Then there were times I've ordered two sizes and returned the size that didn't fit when possible. There are those shoemakers such as Rancourt who will send you a trial pair, or there are those like Viberg who will give you sizing advice based on measurements you send them. It's not like they forbid you from trying on in person, it's just that most of us don't live close enough or are not always able visit all the places where the opportunity exists to try them on.

Bottom line like others have said is that If you want it bad enough you'll have to do so according to the conditions that currently exist. So my best advice is If you chose play, is to put on your big boy pants and jump in the pool.

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Duck__ Steel gets away w/the size down cuz he's got medium-narrow width, but if you walk on the wide-side [E's], like i do, it's Trubalance = 2040/2005 ... & 2030 is out.

Are you saying that the 2030 won't work for people with E widths? I take a 10.5E in Allen Edmonds 5 last. On the alden Trubalance last a 10.5 D fits okay but a 10E would probably be better. I was hoping to get away with a 10 in the 2030 as some have commented that in their Barrie size it was still roomy. Would I be better off in a 10.5?

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me reiterate one more time: For my entire adult life I've worn at minimum EE, often EEEE in a 10.5 or 11.
I had the happy opportunity to try the Viberg Service Boot on in situ, and so was able to find my exact fit.
I don't know if it's a west coast witchy thing, but the 9.5 in a 2030 last (unstructured toe) fits me to a tee.

My theory, which belongs to me, is mine.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Duck__ Steel gets away w/the size down cuz he's got medium-narrow width, but if you walk on the wide-side [E's], like i do, it's Trubalance = 2040/2005 ... & 2030 is out.

Are you saying that the 2030 won't work for people with E widths? I take a 10.5E in Allen Edmonds 5 last. On the alden Trubalance last a 10.5 D fits okay but a 10E would probably be better. I was hoping to get away with a 10 in the 2030 as some have commented that in their Barrie size it was still roomy. Would I be better off in a 10.5?

Try the 10. The 2030 is wider than the Barrie by a slight amount.

tylernim

Reaction score
I take your same sizes with the same fit comments.

I wear a 10.5 on the 2030 with thick socks. I believe even with thin socks a 10 would be snug, but I haven't tried that size admittedly.

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
Service boots are a whole size down? I thought half? Or at least the guys at Leffot told me so.

OK let's do it this way. I only have one other nice pair of shoes. They're Alden LWB on the Barrie last in 10D.

With thin socks they give me a little bit of room.

With sport socks (these: http://www.footaction.com/product/m...nceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-PLA-_-Google-_-4217101) they are snug. Not tight, but snug -- my foot fills the shoe, but I think I'd be annoyed if I did this all day.

(please note I don't really wear these socks with dress shoes normally: Only for purposes of testing fit, and just this once)

Ok, so what service boot am I? GO!

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10. But like others said, everybody's feet are different. You might be able to get by with a 9.5.

Bkultra

Reaction score
So all sizes listed on viberg.com are UK (even Though prices are USD)? I wear a 9.5/10US and assumed I should order a service boots in 9, but if they are UK then this would be incorrect.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You guys ready for some new markups?

I am thinking the copper task roughout service boot, and a natural Cxl leather soles Derby. What say you all?

I want you to strongly encourage them to stock some Natural Chromepack (their Guy they said they'd do it at some point in the future) and do that, plaintoe 2030 on dainite. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads