• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile Work Boots

plainclothesninja

Reaction score
Here's a puzzle for y'all.

I'm trying to simplify my wardrobe.

I need a pair of work boots that I can wear to:
-work (carpenter)
-the office for meetings w/ management
-church
-out and about
-anything else that isn't a wedding or funeral

I also want them to either made in USA or fair trade certified. I'd like to spend less than 200USD

Here are a couple that I have found so far.
https://www.oliberte.com/category/mens/chukkas/mogado-hi/brown-yellow-pullup
https://www.oliberte.com/category/mens/chukkas/adibo/brown-yellow-pullup
https://nisolo.com/collections/mens-boots-chukkas/products/mens-all-weather-boot-waxed-brown

Thanks in advance!

unsuitable

Reaction score
First: goods made in a 'first world country' and 'fair trade' are not equivalent in any way. You might want one, the other, or both but no one should allow one to substitute for the other. Its very possible to have US made goods that have a long string of harm associated with them. And vague phrases like "fair trade certified" are rapidly becoming the "extra virgin olive oil" of modern times - an inside joke of a standard for the smart and a false hope for the idiocracy.

Second: "Carpenter" needs more definition if we are going to get specific. I was at a company last week in the Midwest US where "carpenter" meant a trades person who builds forms for concrete pours on heavy industrial construction sites. To other ears this phrase evokes images of quaint timber-frame construction or even Nazarene hand tool users.

What kind of trades person are you: Do you work on industrial construction sites? Do you need toe protection in these boots (steel or other - in others words what industry standards do you need to meet?). Do you need/want foot-bed protection for stepped on nails? Your union or your employer should have standards to pass along (This will, of course, vary by project).

If you are on construction sties or woodworking shops I would avoid suede (real or fake) or oily "wet" finishes. Suede traps dust just long enough to drop it off in the truck or office. Wet finishes pickup whatever color of dust is floating and around on the first wear and never let it go.

I think that you should drop the idea of shopping down to a low, low price right away - like its hot. Fancy lads like me can prance around in all manner of pretty shoes that we bought for the lowest possible price in order to have X pairs. When you are working for a living in a trade your boots are an important tool. You would never purchase a cheap nail gun because the cost of stopping work to replace it would cost 10x whatever you saved on the tool - and cheap tools harm people more often. Boots are a tool that defines and enables your work - never mess around with bad boots. Keep a spare pair in your truck too - as soon as you can.

If was too broke to buy better boots (and I literally have been) I would pick up some extra shifts and look around for factory sales on great boots. I would start with Danner and look at the Workman, Bull Run, or Centurion line to start ($180 - 370 USD). Plain looking black or brown boots will translate well into the office. If money just cant be found I would look at Sierra Trading Post for Chippewa boots on clearance sale or maybe keep an eye on Zappos sales. In the US South "cowboy boot" looking work boots are popular and can be had with all manner of safety features. Check with your mates to see what they are wearing and what they like.

Yes, Styleforum friends I realize that the OP here might be some kind of worker driving up clicks for awful shoe sites. But if we start ignoring any person (or bot) who might be trying to gin-up click bait from a Macedonian content farm we run the risk of alienating some people who actually need help. Call me an optimist (on some Fridays at least).

Last edited:

The Moxie Gent

Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first ever message post and certainly not my last. I have to agree with Unsuitable. You can't put a price on your safety. I'd like to know a bit more or your day to day work activities. I like the companies you have linked to, but there are certainly not work boots. I work in manufacturing and the term "Made is the USA" can be deceiving. Most brands use and source in multiply countries. That's not to say that they are not sourced from good factories and materials. It's just that the "Made in the USA" is more of seal of approval a branding play.
If you gave me more details on your day to day works activities I am sure recommend a few brands and styles.
Things to consider as Unsuitable mentioned: Toe Protection, Non Slip Sole, Bottom Protection, Shock absorption etc.

That being said I recommend Red Wings and Frye Boots. Both brands have been around for ages and have exceptional quality, durability, and comfort. I recommend these because you mentioned that you also wanted them for more leisure activities.

Check out Red Wings Heritage Line : https://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/mens-footwear
or https://www.thefryecompany.com/mens/boots/moto

Also Danner and Wolverine are excellent brands

Hope this helps!

plainclothesninja

Reaction score
Yup. I'm totally working for a clickbait farm. No worries about alienating people who are looking for real advice--I always love snarky preaching about shoes from people who love hearing themselves talk (type).

Moxie Gent, thanks for the actual advice.

First: goods made in a 'first world country' and 'fair trade' are not equivalent in any way. You might want one, the other, or both but no one should allow one to substitute for the other. Its very possible to have US made goods that have a long string of harm associated with them. And vague phrases like "fair trade certified" are rapidly becoming the "extra virgin olive oil" of modern times - an inside joke of a standard for the smart and a false hope for the idiocracy.

Second: "Carpenter" needs more definition if we are going to get specific. I was at a company last week in the Midwest US where "carpenter" meant a trades person who builds forms for concrete pours on heavy industrial construction sites. To other ears this phrase evokes images of quaint timber-frame construction or even Nazarene hand tool users.

What kind of trades person are you: Do you work on industrial construction sites? Do you need toe protection in these boots (steel or other - in others words what industry standards do you need to meet?). Do you need/want foot-bed protection for stepped on nails? Your union or your employer should have standards to pass along (This will, of course, vary by project).

If you are on construction sties or woodworking shops I would avoid suede (real or fake) or oily "wet" finishes. Suede traps dust just long enough to drop it off in the truck or office. Wet finishes pickup whatever color of dust is floating and around on the first wear and never let it go.

I think that you should drop the idea of shopping down to a low, low price right away - like its hot. Fancy lads like me can prance around in all manner of pretty shoes that we bought for the lowest possible price in order to have X pairs. When you are working for a living in a trade your boots are an important tool. You would never purchase a cheap nail gun because the cost of stopping work to replace it would cost 10x whatever you saved on the tool - and cheap tools harm people more often. Boots are a tool that defines and enables your work - never mess around with bad boots. Keep a spare pair in your truck too - as soon as you can.

If was too broke to buy better boots (and I literally have been) I would pick up some extra shifts and look around for factory sales on great boots. I would start with Danner and look at the Workman, Bull Run, or Centurion line to start ($180 - 370 USD). Plain looking black or brown boots will translate well into the office. If money just cant be found I would look at Sierra Trading Post for Chippewa boots on clearance sale or maybe keep an eye on Zappos sales. In the US South "cowboy boot" looking work boots are popular and can be had with all manner of safety features. Check with your mates to see what they are wearing and what they like.

Yes, Styleforum friends I realize that the OP here might be some kind of worker driving up clicks for awful shoe sites. But if we start ignoring any person (or bot) who might be trying to gin-up click bait from a Macedonian content farm we run the risk of alienating some people who actually need help. Call me an optimist (on some Fridays at least).

unsuitable

Reaction score
Yup. I'm totally working for a clickbait farm. No worries about alienating people who are looking for real advice--I always love snarky preaching about shoes from people who love hearing themselves talk (type).

Moxie Gent, thanks for the actual advice.

My mistake for trying to be of help to you. It won't happen again.

simpleman

Reaction score
Buy work boots for work.

Buy other boots for other things.

I still have my Carolina logger boots from 20 years ago. They are SUPER beat up, but the sole is intact, and the leather still holds except for a few deep gashes in the safety toe. I spend $100 on them in 1997, they seem to be around $230 now for made in USA. I am not suggesting a logger style boot, but just offering some example of what a good boot will cost, and that after use for work they will no longer look "nice" for other things.

Have to also agree with Danner, Wolverine, Redwing, Frye. But using them for work will quickly make them unsuitable for other activities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads