• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vents

kidkim2

Reaction score
What is your preference regarding vents?  What does your tailor recommend?  (And how emphatically?)

(a)  Center?  (Fred Astaire)

(b)  Side? (Prince Charles)

Â
00a9.png
 None at all?  (Cary Grant)

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all three. I think that it depends on the cut of the suit and your body though. For example, I can't wear a double vent if the suit is not tapered a little at the waist -- the vents just don't fall properly. I just ordered a made to measure by WW Chan and went with double vents. Off the rack I have purchased 3 ventless, 1 center vent, and 1 double vent. The key is making sure the vents hang properly on your body. IMO, it is easier to get away with a "not perfectly fitting" suit if it is ventless.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, only americans wear single-vented suits-- and we never look good wearing them. I haven't seen anyone wear double vents and not look good with one hand in the trouser pocket, not to mention it avoids the big problem with no vents: lots of wrinkling, as you're forced to sit on the jacket itself.

I switched to strictly double vents a few years ago, and there's no going any other way for me.

TomW

Reaction score
My preferences in order are:

Side vents - my overwhelming favorite

No vent

Center vent - deals too good to pass up...

the older I get, the more I refuse to buy anything not tailored with side vents.

houston

Reaction score
Are side vents more British and no vent Italian? Also, I recently bought a canali suit during a sample sale. The canali rep looked at me oddly when I asked about a center vent and told me almost all they do are side or no vent.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are side vents more British and no vent Italian? Also, I recently bought a canali suit during a sample sale. The canali rep looked at me oddly when I asked about a center vent and told me almost all they do are side or no vent.
The Italians have a way of taking good clothing ideas, improving on them, and making them thoroughly their own. Yes, I think that the British first used side vents, but they're so common on Italian jackets nowadays that you can't really call them British anymore.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 vents which was for jumping at the begining

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that given the astheticaly pleasing look of side vents, one cannot find a suit of this nature in America for under $1000.

Also, side vents do not look good on everyone. One of my friends has a huge ass, and the flap in the back sticks out when he wears side vents. It looks REALLY funny.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I prefer side vents, but most of my suits have center vents. Take what you can get...

TomW

Reaction score
It's crazy that given the astheticaly pleasing look of side vents, one cannot find a suit of this nature in America for under $1000.

Also, side vents do not look good on everyone. One of my friends has a huge ass, and the flap in the back sticks out when he wears side vents. It looks REALLY funny.

Finding suits with side vents for little money is fairly easy, I just bought 2 HSM Gold Trumpeter suits with side vents at Nordstrom's Anniversary sale for $240 ea. You do have to look harder, but they are there. Off 5th in my area has several at $599 from Zegna, Valentino, Hugo Boss and others - and since they don't seem to move as quickly as the more traditional center vented ones - most will be on clearance in a few months.

I agree that people with larger rears probably shouldn't wear side vents, unless they are very carefully tailored. No vent at all is often the best choice for those with more ample asses.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that people with larger rears probably shouldn't wear side vents, unless they are very carefully tailored.
Actually, I think double vented is more flattering for a big backside. A single vent should hang down dead straight like a plumb line. You close the jacket and let us say, your rear pushes the single vent two inches apart. The vent being two inches out of the true is clearly visible.

Go now for side vents: the two inches become one inch on either side. Adding to this the fact that the sides of a double vent are cut at an angle, any distortion from the true is more difficult to detect. Of course it is a question of degree. Your butt might be so big that it pushes out regardless, but than the jacket is a very bad fit and miles too tight around the waist.
No vent at all is often the best choice for those with more ample asses.
Again, a question of degree. If your butt pulls the fabric all over the place, that's not a pretty sight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads